Best lube for the Sebenza?

I've tried a few different oils and I haven't found anything that's quite satisfactory yet. CRK's own Fluorinated Grease is very good- thick, stays put, doesn't attract too much grit- but its viscosity makes my Seb feel slower. I also like plain old Hoppe's, which is thinner and doesn't slow down the pivot as much, but it tends to attract an ungodly amount of junk. I end up having to clean the damn thing almost weekly.

So, fellow Seb owners: what's the slickest, fastest, cleanest lube you've found? What do you use, where do you get it, and why do you like it?

I made my own mixture of grease and non silicone based lubricant. Works great for me and if my knife gets a lot of guts and blood in there that affects the movement I apply some fine machine oil (only a drop) after cleaning in hot water. Action is smooth again. After a few months I might feel like cleaning again and there is still some of my own grease mix on the washers and pivot bushing. I am very happy with it and only apply three touches thereof on each washer on each side and as Chris explains on his website etc. It does happen that sometimes you apply a bit to much, but just keep using it. The grease will spread itself and smooth the action.

I am sure the CRK grease is much better but it will cost me almost $70 to import, that makes it a bit to expensive for me.

If you clean it often or use it for food prep,
I highly recommend just mineral oil.. (non toxic and cheap)

I have to wash this one out almost daily..
Going on 10 years now and smooth as silk..

ss22.jpg

Fwiw, I like and use Benchmade's Bluelube & Bluelube Cleanser. They're both food safe.

Fwiw, I like and use Benchmade's Bluelube & Bluelube Cleanser. They're both food safe.

Food safe is not the highest priority for me as I very rarely use my Seb for food, usually just cutting steak when a decent-quality steak knife isn't provided. However, it's a comforting thing to know.

What else do you like about BlueLube? How does it "feel" on your Seb? Does it make the action smoother, faster, slower, or what? How does it compare with other lubes, e.g. CRK FG, Rem-Oil, Militec, Hoppe's?

I find the CRK stuff works well but the secret is to use a very small amount.

I tried that today and it seems to be okay- a little quicker than before, when I was probably using too much. Still not as fast as some others I've seen, though, so I'm open to suggestions. It does feel "right" to use Reeve lube on a Reeve knife, but as I mentioned before, I'm looking for something faster.

Also, does anyone know if CRK Fluorinated Grease is food safe? If not, then just how toxic is it?

Ingredients:
Perfluoroalkylether
CAS#60164-51-4
PTFE
CAS#9002-84-0

I don't see anywhere that states this...got a link?

My bottle states:
"CAUTIONS: Contains an HD Paraffin base. If any irritation or problem develops, call your physician. Keep away and out of reach from children!"

$70, really? It only cost me $11.50 directly from CRK plus $13 shipping via UPS. Where are you located?

Depending on my studies either Cape Town, Pretoria, Upington, West Coast South Africa. I only ship with insured mail and that usually works out at about $45 for a knife. So I have not really investigated the matter. I will probably import a Large with Micarta one day and with that will take the CRK grease, hat, pocket pouch and a Tshirt all with one go.

I use mostly Militec because i get it free, but mostly anything will work just fine...any kind of gun oils, sewing machine oil, automotive ,etc....

Seems like folks are on this quest for the magic lubricant that will make there knife operate at the speed of millennium falcons.

Most quality knives don't need to be lubed as often as we lube them....for me my knives need the blades cleaned much more often than the pivot needs oiled.

If your using your folder to clean a fish or dress a deer just wash it off good throw a drop or 2 on it and stick it in your pocket. :thumbup:

Seems like folks are on this quest for the magic lubricant that will make there knife operate at the speed of millennium falcons.

Most quality knives don't need to be lubed as often as we lube them....for me my knives need the blades cleaned much more often than the pivot needs oiled.

True, a lot of people are on a quixotic mission to find the perfect lube. I'm not quite in that camp, but I do like to have the best (that's why I have a Sebenza!), and in order to do that I need to know what the best is :p

I know that like my Glock, my Seb and most of my other knives could probably go months without cleaning and not suffer for it, as I don't often use them around corrosive stuff. But as with my firearms (and everything else I own), I am obsessive about maintenance, and sometimes I even clean guns that haven't been fired. It's something about appreciating the way something is put together and how all the pieces work in a particularly finely crafted piece of machinery. I just have a compulsion for things to be shiny, perfectly maintained, cleaned and oiled and functioning at the absolute peak of their potential. Anything less just seems wrong to me.

True, a lot of people are on a quixotic mission to find the perfect lube. I'm not quite in that camp, but I do like to have the best (that's why I have a Sebenza!), and in order to do that I need to know what the best is :p

I know that like my Glock, my Seb and most of my other knives could probably go months without cleaning and not suffer for it, as I don't often use them around corrosive stuff. But as with my firearms (and everything else I own), I am obsessive about maintenance, and sometimes I even clean guns that haven't been fired. It's something about appreciating the way something is put together and how all the pieces work in a particularly finely crafted piece of machinery. I just have a compulsion for things to be shiny, perfectly maintained, cleaned and oiled and functioning at the absolute peak of their potential. Anything less just seems wrong to me.

YuP, and it's just plain relaxing to clean a nice firearm, or disassemble a Sebenza. I haven't tried Chris's grease, but I do like shooters choice. I've also tried a spray lithium grease which works fine, but it seems to wear off quick.

Rem oil has always worked for me. It doesn't attract other junk to the pivot either. If I put too much in, it is easily blown off with some compressed air from a can.

I've used old-fashioned winding-mechanism grease for pocketwatches and small clocks. Somehow had some lying around. :D Works excellent for me - action is quite slow this way but it's unbelievably smooth. I like all my folders' actions fairly tight. I've used mineral engine-oil (Castrol Classic 20W50 :rolleyes:;)) as well, but although it opened quick, the knife didn't feel as smooth with it.

True, a lot of people are on a quixotic mission to find the perfect lube. I'm not quite in that camp, but I do like to have the best (that's why I have a Sevens!), and in order to do that I need to know what the best is :p

I know that like my Clock, my Serb and most of my other knives could probably go months without cleaning and not suffer for it, as I don't often use them around corrosive stuff. But as with my firearms (and everything else I own), I am obsessive about maintenance, and sometimes I even clean guns that haven't been fired. It's something about appreciating the way something is put together and how all the pieces work in a particularly finely crafted piece of machinery. I just have a compulsion for things to be shiny, perfectly maintained, cleaned and oiled and functioning at the absolute peak of their potential. Anything less just seems wrong to me.

I think many of us may have a little OCD...i know i like shinny stuff although there was a time in my life when shinny was out and performance was all that counted... now days i like to make my stuff shinny and then use the hell out of it.....it's alot more fun shooting those guns than cleaning them...i hate cleaning guns but i do it because it's necessary. :)

Back