• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Best Physical Knife Stores in U.S.

The Gear Barrel in Ocala, FL is quite good. I've bought a couple microtechs and benchmades from him. Good online store, and willing to haggle.

If any of you make it to the Hill Country look up Salt Branch Outpost in Fredericksburg, Texas. Half of the store is dedicated to leather/antler furniture and the other half to knives. The selection ranges from $10 Chinese slipjoints to customs from Ian Van Reenen - with Spyderco, CRKT, KOA, Mora and others in between. I think part of their inventory is (or was) from a collection being sold on consignment. FYI, it is adjacent to a chocolate factory in case you need to give your wife/girlfriend/daughter/etc. another reason to go along.

As has been stated before, GPKnives east of St. Louis gets my vote as my local store with knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff, and just about every knife produced commercially available to handle and play with. And since I work for a major aerospace firm, my travel takes me to the Seattle area so I always spend sometime at Epicurean Edge in Kirkland, WA. My significant other approves because i’m always bringing home some nice kitchen knives for her!

In your ever in New Hampshire sawyer river and headlines in Conway nh has a good selection
Owner operators and willing to haggle on price

Being in Chicagoland, finding a reasonably priced store with a decent selection is near impossible.

I shop local gun shops, occasionally UDan's/Erewhon, to get a feel for a knife if they have what I want. Then I buy it on the interwebz.

Once in a blue moon, they won't know what they have and it's listed for a stupid low price. It's usually the opposite. But that is retail.

As far as inflated prices, GAT Guns in E. Dundee is the worst offender. 8 + years ago, they wanted $400 for a ZT 0300. Display model too. $260 for the 0200.

If anybody knows of a decent place in northwest Chicagoland, I'm all ears.

Back