Best Slingshot?

I can't wait to make one!

I love looking at all the different styles shown on this thread. I have one of bikermike's knives. His slingshots look just as nice.

I'm 51 years old and have a concealed carry permit, but I'm not allowed to buy a slingshot by mail; illegal to have shipped here in NY! (And I live upstate in the Adirondacks!)
I can't wait to move out of this state. :-(

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Welcome to BF zhi!
We don't have Big 5 here but we have Dunhams and had Sports Authority. About the same as Big 5.
I picked this one up for around $8. I put the stronger band on it for a couple dollars more. For an entry level slingshot it's fun and accurate for tin cans at ten paces.
For practice I have piece of old carpet hanging in the garage that I hang a paper target in front of. The carpet stops the shot cold and you can cut it to any size to suit your space and/or accuracy.
P1080844800x600.jpg

Enjoy your new hobby and be safe.

Thanks Rupestris! I did end up getting the Trumark FS-1. looks like this:
10212787_is

Though now I wish I would have gotten the one you have there. The metal frame in the FS-1 ends about half way down the handle, unlike the one you have there. I was planning on taking off the plastic handle and throwing a nice paracord wrap on the frame.

Oh well, guess I'll have to buy another one!;)

Well I figured I will bring this thread back up, gotta question, what are the basic yoke dimensions on the Dankung style slingshots? Just width and height. I am going to make one of those this weekend, buthave never held one. I currently own and have made the wrist rocket style with round tubes over the end. Great fun, but want to try something else a little more compact. I still use my original wrist rocket, being aluminum makes it nice and light!

Thanx!

-Xander

Very timely bump to this thread! I've been interested in slingshots for a while. Bought a cheap Marksman at Canadian Tire, but the tubes gave out and I gave it back. I was knocking tin cans off a stick at 20ft. within three hours of trying it. I'd like to make my own but any advice on where to buy a quality handmade slingshot at a reasonable price. Something to get started with. I'm looking at A+ slingshots and Pocket Predators, just based on what I've read in this thread.

The marksman or truemark ones are fine, I prefer the red tapered bands from trumark for that style though. Actually making one is easier than you think, a natural fork of a hardwood is simple enough to find, you can speed drying with the microwave (please read up on that, you can damage the wood if done incorrectly) and pick up some surgical tubing at a hardware store or fishing tackle store. Flat bands can be had cheaply, too. But much like taking pictures, its not the equipment that makes you good, its practice that makes you good.

-Xander

Flippin' Out makes some really nice slingshots. Some are very high end, but they also make some that are very reasonably priced, considering the quality (and made in USA). This is their "Scout" model, which I really like:

outscout.jpg

we used to make our own as a boy, forked stick, inter-tube rubber, and the tongue from an old shoe and you would have one heck of a good sling shot!!!

Well I figured I will bring this thread back up, gotta question, what are the basic yoke dimensions on the Dankung style slingshots? Just width and height. I am going to make one of those this weekend, buthave never held one. I currently own and have made the wrist rocket style with round tubes over the end. Great fun, but want to try something else a little more compact. I still use my original wrist rocket, being aluminum makes it nice and light!

Thanx!

-Xander

The Couger is a larger dankung about 1 7/8" inside the forks and 4 1/4" high.
one of the other dankungs I have is onya 1 1/4" inside the forks. To small for my hands.
http://www.dankung.com/emart/the-co...e-p-322.html?zenid=onkarploihsekvgftsq0dn1702

I got one made up this morning, used .250" mild steel rod, hot bent to match my drawing. My first finger braced style sling, haven't shot I yet but I have drawn it a couple times to make sure the bands are set.

2013-04-01115520_zps2c056452.jpg

I may still throw it in the tumbler to clean it all up then cord wrap it, but I kinda like it like this.

-Xander

That's a pretty tidy wrap, I don't think that will work on mine with the open handle though. Knotting and fancy work is something I have done for a long time, so I'll try to come up with something different from the normal wraps.

-Xander

Just ordered a Ranger from Pocket Predator. I'm really eager to try it out. Still looking to make my own though. I have some tubing and an old frame. What is a good source for flat band material?

Just ordered a Ranger from Pocket Predator. I'm really eager to try it out. Still looking to make my own though. I have some tubing and an old frame. What is a good source for flat band material?

I got a roll of Theraband Gold off the large auction site.

Gotta question, I just aquired a bag of new medical bands used when drawing blood. They are blue and have a waffle pattern in them. They recoil very fast, are these latex? Anyone know? These are all 1" wide by about 16" long. I have easy access to more of these if they indeed work out as I hope they do. I guess I will just hve to go out and make one!

-X

Hospital tourniquets are usuly non- latex. I tryed them once, they diden't last long but were OK for the price (free)

Yeah, I did a simple plywood cutout the other day and am finding these a bit weak in single band configuration. I'll double them and see how it goes. But I got a whole bag for free, so I'm not complaining! I may make a couple for my neice and nephew since they aren't real strong.

-Xander

I finaly got around to making a paracord ammo pouch. Have been want to make one since I saw some of the great work on the forum.
P4270007_zps02a83e17.jpg

Back