Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

20180521_164621.jpg

This fine Aussie brew on the other hand is a classic example of how good an overly hoppy brew can be.
Its definitely borderline tropical though. About as close as I like to get.

I’m not one for hoppy beer, but that is some fine snakewood!:thumbsup:

On the other hand, I also had a Dr. Pepper while were on that side of the pond, and quickly learned that at some point they decided to cut down on the sugar in Dr. Pepper by replacing some of it with the artificial sweetener aspartame. I can't stand the taste of that stuff. :confused:

Me neither Barrett, nor any artificial sweeteners for that matter o_O:thumbsup:

This is part of Operation Clean Out the Fridge. I think I picked this up as part of a build-your-own six pack sort of deal. (I'm also pretty sure that it moved from Arizona to Minnesota with us, along with all the other beer I had stocked up in the fridge, all carefully transported in a cooler in the backseat of my truck.) It's pretty good stuff, very easy to drink for 9.4% ABV.

usc4DvA.jpg

That looks tasty :) I need to have an Operation Clean Out the Fridge, but I doubt I'll find anything more interesting than an old jar of pickled onions! :D :thumbsup:

That Spitfire is appalling in my view, just replace the 'p' with an 'h' and there you are:D:eek:

Rotten beer! :thumbsdown:

If you decide to try it, I would highly recommend Coke in a glass bottle (if you can find it). :thumbsup:

One thing I appreciated about soft drinks in the UK (or "cokes" as they're all called where I grew up) is that they're still made with real sugar, as opposed the the high fructose corn syrup they put in just about everything here in the States. You can buy Coke made with sugar here, but you have to find the Coke in glass bottles that's made in Mexico, and (of course) it's more expensive. (I know that it's bad for you either way, but on the rare occasions I enjoy a Coke these days, I'd prefer it be made with sugar rather than HFCS.)

On the other hand, I also had a Dr. Pepper while were on that side of the pond, and quickly learned that at some point they decided to cut down on the sugar in Dr. Pepper by replacing some of it with the artificial sweetener aspartame. I can't stand the taste of that stuff. :confused:

Well I never knew that about Coke. Glass bottled Coke has been as rare as hens teeth in the UK for years. It doesn't bother me as I hardly ever drink soft drinks. Similar to Will Power my parents never bought any when I was a kid and now as an adult there far to gasey for me. All soft drinks with sugar in are more expensive in the UK as a few weeks ago the UK government introduced a "Sugar Tax" on soft drinks, which I don't understand as according to my scientist brother sugar is far healthier than all the artificial sweeteners they use instead :eek:

20180521_161142.jpg

I looorrve goooolld.
I was so disgusted with that awful NZ slop.
I had to buy a pommy beer just to see if it could be any worse....it is appalling
....from the first satisifying top pop and pour into cold glass to the last thirst quenching malty dreg.
20180521_164621.jpg

This fine Aussie brew on the other hand is a classic example of how good an overly hoppy brew can be.
Its definitely borderline tropical though. About as close as I like to get.

That Spitfire is appalling in my view, just replace the 'p' with an 'h' and there you are:D:eek:

LOL! :D Your right gents Shepherd Neames have definately gone off their game recently, especially with their standard brews. They are better on draft in pubs but only in the south of England as I don't think they travel well, and I'm always suspicious of any brewery that uses clear glass for it's beers. Beers bottles are dark brown/green for a reason. Any beer out of clear that has been stored anywhere near sunlight will taste like s*itfire... :D
As for their bottles about the nicest is this stuff, if you can find it.
rZdiioS.jpg

Pouring into good glass is an important part of beer.

Aye theres some research on that; about how the shape of the glass effects the beer. Of course brewers have known that for aeons :D I was told thats why the Belgium brewers have so many different shapes glasses to match all their different beer styles. For example that horn tankard in the picture above looks the part but in reality it's awful. The shape of it causes every single beer to massively froth.

Well I never knew that about Coke. Glass bottled Coke has been as rare as hens teeth in the UK for years. It doesn't bother me as I hardly ever drink soft drinks. Similar to Will Power my parents never bought any when I was a kid and now as an adult there far to gasey for me. All soft drinks with sugar in are more expensive in the UK as a few weeks ago the UK government introduced a "Sugar Tax" on soft drinks, which I don't understand as according to my scientist brother sugar is far healthier than all the artificial sweeteners they use instead :eek:

LOL! :D Your right gents Shepherd Neames have definately gone off their game recently, especially with their standard brews. They are better on draft in pubs but only in the south of England as I don't think they travel well, and I'm always suspicious of any brewery that uses clear glass for it's beers. Beers bottles are dark brown/green for a reason. Any beer out of clear that has been stored anywhere near sunlight will taste like s*itfire... :D
As for their bottles about the nicest is this stuff, if you can find it.
rZdiioS.jpg

Aye theres some research on that; about how the shape of the glass effects the beer. Of course brewers have known that for aeons :D I was told thats why the Belgium brewers have so many different shapes glasses to match all their different beer styles. For example that horn tankard in the picture above looks the part but in reality it's awful. The shape of it causes every single beer to massively froth.

I'm not a regular drinker of soft drinks either David. I have about 3 or 4 cans of ginger beer a year, and drink even less Coke or Pepsi. I do see it in glass bottles, but usually only in restaurants and cafes, and priced accordingly.

I glass manufacturer Riedel have done a lot of research into the effect of different-shaped glasses on the senses. I was gifted some of their very expensive hand-blown glasses years ago, they come out about once a year, if that, as I'm frightened to use them! :D

https://www.riedel.com/en-gb

The Coke thing...cane sugar vs corn syrup. The owner of the local bottler lived a few blocks from me, his son and I graduated high school together so I got to see the operation pretty often. According to the guys that ran the bottling machines, the little 6 1/2 oz Cokes still used a different formula with cane sugar some years after the introduction of corn syrup in the King size (12 oz) Coke in bottles.I recall always looking at the bottom of the Coke to see what city bottled it.

rZdiioS.jpg

–––

For example that horn tankard in the picture above looks the part but in reality it's awful. The shape of it causes every single beer to massively froth.

Well it may not be great for drinking out of, but it sure looks cool! :thumbsup:

I'm not a regular drinker of soft drinks either David. I have about 3 or 4 cans of ginger beer a year, and drink even less Coke or Pepsi. I do see it in glass bottles, but usually only in restaurants and cafes, and priced accordingly.

I assume at this point they only produce Coke in glass bottles for nostalgia's sake, but there is something pleasant about the experience compared to drinking from a can or plastic bottle. I remember seeing glass bottles of Coke in the lounge at our hotel in London last summer, but wasn't sure how easy it was to find elsewhere.

I'm always suspicious of any brewery that uses clear glass for it's beers. Beers bottles are dark brown/green for a reason. Any beer out of clear that has been stored anywhere near sunlight will taste like s*itfire... :D

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I heard that when Corona started canning beer in addition to their standard clear bottle, people complained because it didn't taste the same, so they added UV light to their canning process to intentional skunk the beer. :confused:

Cool stuff my friend. Did you try maté in Argentina? I believe we've yet to see a maté gourd in the Beverages and Blades thread, it'd certainly go well with a puñal knife.

Thanks, Chin. Yeah, I had mate in Argentina and quite liked it. I brought back a gourd as a souvenir and used it frequently until it cracked. I went through a kilogram or two of Rosamonte Especial, which was my favorite, before that happened. I should really replace that gourd. Sounds like a good excuse to go back to Argentina and pick up some cutlery while I’m there. ;)

Update: apparently my gourd is still water tight afterall. I thought it had cracked, but kept it for sentimental value. Just filled it with hot water though, and I must have been mistaken: no leaks! Rosamonte Especial has been ordered. Look for a mate and blade picture soon!

Last edited:
I sometimes buy a bottle of the West Indies Guinness, but I am not a big fan of Guinness generally, and certainly not of the rotten Irish nitro-keg ales (Caffrey's, etc). ...
Sacrilege! ;):rolleyes: I have some Guinness nitrogenated stout that I don't care for, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the 12-packs of assorted Guinness stouts I've been able to purchase lately, containing Guinness Original, Foreign Export, Antwerpen, and 200th Anniversary stouts. And I'll gladly drink porters and stouts all summer, if the alternative is American lagers or hopped-up IPAs! :rolleyes:

Old photo, but this was the beverage I had with my salad for supper tonight:
LnEbCbH.jpg

- GT

I sometimes buy a bottle of the West Indies Guinness, but I am not a big fan of Guinness generally, and certainly not of the rotten Irish nitro-keg ales (Caffrey's, etc). I hear that, like most places, beer is getting better in Ireland though, with a number of craft breweries springing up. I reckon the Irish have been starved of good ale for far too long! ;) Hopefully things will have improved for your next visit my friend :) Great to see Kelly's Cellars, Belfast has some great pubs :thumbsup:

Definitely mate. I did find some places that served small batch local beer but they were more upscale pubs unfortunately. Hopefully next time some of the cosy, dingy locals will have some some more interesting brews on tap.

Cambertree, thanks for posting those pics of the Guinness Brewery. :thumbsup: That safe is great :thumbsup: I believe Guinness has a number of breweries in Africa; I'm sure a google search would tell you where. I used to drink Foreign Export Guinness that had been brewed in....Nigeria I think which I seem to recall was 8.5%...? I can't find it anymore near where I live but I can buy Foreign Export Guinness in Asda (one of our major supermarket chains) which is brewed in Dublin and I think is 7.5%
I've a mate who spent a lot of time in Africa (Namibia, Botswana, S.Africa, Lesotho) and apparently over there Guinness is known as 'African beer', and is massively popular throughout most of the continent.

Yes, I wanted to say it was actually the Nigerian brewery that purportedly makes the best Guinness, but had a moment of doubt, when I saw it written down, and thought it might have been Kenya, with the colonial connection and all.

I drank in a Chinese speakeasy in the shade of a limestone cliff, frequented by 'colourful characters' in Malaysia (there are a lot of sly and not-so-sly grog shops due to the prevailing Muslim culture) and was amused to see that a big Guinness sign was usually above the bar in these places.

s4fsfjA.jpg

Cambertree Cambertree Chin, very amusing anecdote about Guinness and the Borstal Boy:D 3 million pints brewed per day, most exported and quite a lot of the remainder downed by Brendan Behan himself:eek: That Guinness family certainly became exponentially rich due to the worldwide liking for their product but I've never been at all fond of it, very much the opposite.. But all drinks are acquired tastes....fortunately!

Regards, Will

At the end of the day if I've found myself thirsty, usually I go for tea or water to round things off. I've never been that much interested in soft-drinks, my parents didn't give me them when I was a kid and I'm grateful for that. But I do like this French lemonade, it comes in various flavours and contains only sugar no artificial sweeteners or enhancers and it's wonderful not very sweet at all and it tastes citrus. This Mandarine version is very tasty!

7vYeK9J.jpg

Thanks Will. Yes I'm sure the Borstal Boy downed his quota, and then some! I'm the same, was rarely allowed soft drinks as a child, which I'm thankful for now, and most of them taste grossly oversweetened to me. That Limonade sounds delicious.

I grew up listening to so many tales of the wonder of drinking Guinness in Ireland. It came as a real shock when it tasted just the same as the stuff I'd drunk everywhere else! o_O And the stories of the pouring ritual told to me by so many homesick Irishmen were grossly exaggerated! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Yes, I did have some nice pours of Guinness in Ireland (funnily enough the Guinness in the Felons Club in Belfast tasted the best to me) but I suppose it just comes down to freshness, and clean lines. An ex-girlfriend who tended bar, schooled me on really tasting beer, she could take one sip of a beer that tasted the same to me as anywhere else, and say 'they don't clean their lines properly here, let's go somewhere else'! I recall how they had those black Guinness 'police' cars in Ireland that would drive around inspecting pubs.

I'll keep a weather eye out Cambertree.
Cheers. Always like to try something new as long as it is not described by any of these words
Pacific
Tropical
Scented
Passionfruit

Youngs double chocolate stout is another matter.

Yeah, definitely mate!

I’m not one for hoppy beer, but that is some fine snakewood!:thumbsup:

Yes I don't mind a decently hopped beer in principle, but I've gone off them a bit with the preponderance of way overhopped brews at the moment.

I glass manufacturer Riedel have done a lot of research into the effect of different-shaped glasses on the senses. I was gifted some of their very expensive hand-blown glasses years ago, they come out about once a year, if that, as I'm frightened to use them! :D

https://www.riedel.com/en-gb

Nice wine glasses those Riedels, Jack.

I was impressed when trying a few Belgian beers in a bar in Ginza, Tokyo, how with every beer that was ordered, the bartender would serve it in a specific glass designed by the same brewer. They must have had hundreds of different glasses hidden away behind the counter! Like everything else, they really raise bartending to an artform.

Thanks, Chin. Yeah, I had mate in Argentina and quite liked it. I brought back a gourd as a souvenir and used it frequently until it cracked. I went through a kilogram or two of Rosamonte Especial, which was my favorite, before that happened. I should really replace that gourd. Sounds like a good excuse to go back to Argentina and pick up some cutlery while I’m there. ;)

Update: apparently my gourd is still water tight afterall. I thought it had cracked, but kept it for sentimental value. Just filled it with hot water though, and I must have been mistaken: no leaks! Rosamonte Especial has been ordered. Look for a mate and blade picture soon!

Nice one Greg, looking forward to it, my friend!

Here's an old pic of a drink I like in summer. One of the local apple orchards takes their excess harvest of Pink Lady apples and makes a clean, crisp, slightly tart and not oversweet cleanskin cider.
I can't drink more than one or two, but it makes for a very refreshing drink on a hot day.

Last edited:
Sacrilege! ;):rolleyes: I have some Guinness nitrogenated stout that I don't care for, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the 12-packs of assorted Guinness stouts I've been able to purchase lately, containing Guinness Original, Foreign Export, Antwerpen, and 200th Anniversary stouts. And I'll gladly drink porters and stouts all summer, if the alternative is American lagers or hopped-up IPAs! :rolleyes:

Old photo, but this was the beverage I had with my salad for supper tonight:
LnEbCbH.jpg

- GT

I have drunk more than my fair share of it GT, but I think there are much better stouts and porters to be had. I'll have to check out that Antwerpen, excellent pic :thumbsup:

Definitely mate. I did find some places that served small batch local beer but they were more upscale pubs unfortunately. Hopefully next time some of the cosy, dingy locals will have some some more interesting brews on tap.

Yes, I wanted to say it was actually the Nigerian brewery that purportedly makes the best Guinness, but had a moment of doubt, when I saw it written down, and thought it might have been Kenya, with the colonial connection and all.

I drank in a Chinese speakeasy in the shade of a limestone cliff, frequented by 'colourful characters' in Malaysia (there are a lot of sly and not-so-sly grog shops due to the prevailing Muslim culture) and was amused to see that a big Guinness sign was usually above the bar in these places.

s4fsfjA.jpg

Thanks Will. Yes I'm sure the Borstal Boy downed his quota, and then some! I'm the same, was rarely allowed soft drinks as a child, which I'm thankful for now, and most of them taste grossly oversweetened to me. That Limonade sounds delicious.

Yes, I did have some nice pours of Guinness in Ireland (funnily enough the Guinness in the Felons Club in Belfast tasted the best to me) but I suppose it just comes down to freshness, and clean lines. An ex-girlfriend who tended bar, schooled me on really tasting beer, she could take one sip of a beer that tasted the same to me as anywhere else, and say 'they don't clean their lines properly here, let's go somewhere else'! I recall how they had those black Guinness 'police' cars in Ireland that would drive around inspecting pubs.

Yeah, definitely mate!

Yes I don't mind a decently hopped beer in principle, but I've gone off them a bit with the preponderance of way overhopped brews at the moment.

Nice wine glasses those Riedels, Jack.

I was impressed when trying a few Belgian beers in a bar in Ginza, Tokyo, how with every beer that was ordered, the bartender would serve it in a specific glass designed by the same brewer. They must have had hundreds of different glasses hidden away behind the counter! Like everything else, they really raise bartending to an artform.

Nice one Greg, looking forward to it, my friend!

Here's an old pic of a drink I like in summer. One of the local apple orchards takes their excess harvest of Pink Lady apples and makes a clean, crisp, slightly tart and not oversweet cleanskin cider.
I can't drink more than one or two, but it makes for a very refreshing drink on a hot day.

Yes, that's a shame mate, Belfast is definitely getting gentrified isn't it? I believe that Wetherspoon's (ubiquitous British chain selling cheap beer) has ales on now though, and I suspect that isn't too swish! ;) :D :thumbsup:

That is interesting about the lines. I was having an interesting conversation about different types of line-cleaner with a young bar-manager just last week. Certainly a lot more thought, work, and care could be put into cleaning them here o_O

I have been to a couple of Riedel tasting evenings in the distant past, lots of good free wine! :D Penfold's Grange was a highlight I recall fondly :) :thumbsup:

Cool pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

From yesterday because I wanted to enjoy the moment

cZ0ElAa.jpg

I wanted something f-f-f-f-fresh for the summer!

Do you like getting caught in the rain? ;)

I have a few old genuine tortoiseshell knives, but I always think the acrylic looks at least as good :) :thumbsup:

Do you like getting caught in the rain? ;)

I have a few old genuine tortoiseshell knives, but I always think the acrylic looks at least as good :) :thumbsup:

I don’t know what that means but we’ve had awesome weather here! My work hammers me like sh** and after the mojito and pipe I napped at the balcony. Brief moment of rest.

I don’t know what that means but we’ve had awesome weather here! My work hammers me like sh** and after the mojito and pipe I napped at the balcony. Brief moment of rest.

You never heard The Pina Colada Song?! :eek: Well, that's a lucky Escape! :D :thumbsup:

Hope you get another chance to put your feet up soon :thumbsup:

Guinness has breweries in 20 or 22 African countries including Ivory Coast and Cameroon. I remember that in the 70s rumors said that they included cassava in Nigeria, then the only (and I agree better than Irish) Guinness available then. Never had any proof of that though. :rolleyes:

Back