Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

I glass manufacturer Riedel have done a lot of research into the effect of different-shaped glasses on the senses. I was gifted some of their very expensive hand-blown glasses years ago, they come out about once a year, if that, as I'm frightened to use them! :D

https://www.riedel.com/en-gb

Very impressive glasses Jack. 11th generation as well; so they have some pedigree behind them. It's a pity there only used for 'grape juice' :D

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I heard that when Corona started canning beer in addition to their standard clear bottle, people complained because it didn't taste the same, so they added UV light to their canning process to intentional skunk the beer. :confused:

Aye it's called Sun Strike. I was chatting to a brewer just the other week. He gave me 2 samples of the same beer; one normal and one that had unfortunately been caught by the sun. The difference was pronounced with that 'skunk' tasting beer pretty disgusting in comparison.
I didn't know that about Corona but this chap also told me Heinenken had had to do the same because apparently the skunk taste was part of their 'taste profile'. But then they changed their brewing process and lost it and their loyal fans complained that their beer was 'off'?? :D

I drank in a Chinese speakeasy in the shade of a limestone cliff, frequented by 'colourful characters' in Malaysia (there are a lot of sly and not-so-sly grog shops due to the prevailing Muslim culture) and was amused to see that a big Guinness sign was usually above the bar in these places.

s4fsfjA.jpg

Yes, I did have some nice pours of Guinness in Ireland (funnily enough the Guinness in the Felons Club in Belfast tasted the best to me) but I suppose it just comes down to freshness, and clean lines. An ex-girlfriend who tended bar, schooled me on really tasting beer, she could take one sip of a beer that tasted the same to me as anywhere else, and say 'they don't clean their lines properly here, let's go somewhere else'!

That is interesting about the lines. I was having an interesting conversation about different types of line-cleaner with a young bar-manager just last week. Certainly a lot more thought, work, and care could be put into cleaning them here o_O

@Cambertree. Thats looks like a great bar :thumbsup: Glad you made it out alive :D Unless of course you yourself were one of the 'colourful characters' :D:thumbsup:

Yip when I managed a pub years ago I insisted on cleaning the lines at least once a week, and often more depending how much beer we sold. Of course back then we sold a heck of a lot more beer than most pubs sell these days :rolleyes::( The pub was renowned for having the best beer in the district.

-David

Very impressive glasses Jack. 11th generation as well; so they have some pedigree behind them. It's a pity there only used for 'grape juice' :D

Aye it's called Sun Strike. I was chatting to a brewer just the other week. He gave me 2 samples of the same beer; one normal and one that had unfortunately been caught by the sun. The difference was pronounced with that 'skunk' tasting beer pretty disgusting in comparison.
I didn't know that about Corona but this chap also told me Heinenken had had to do the same because apparently the skunk taste was part of their 'taste profile'. But then they changed their brewing process and lost it and their loyal fans complained that their beer was 'off'?? :D

@Cambertree. Thats looks like a great bar :thumbsup: Glad you made it out alive :D Unless of course you yourself were one of the 'colourful characters' :D:thumbsup:

Yip when I managed a pub years ago I insisted on cleaning the lines at least once a week, and often more depending how much beer we sold. Of course back then we sold a heck of a lot more beer than most pubs sell these days :rolleyes::( The pub was renowned for having the best beer in the district.

-David

LOL! Thanks mate :D :thumbsup: That is very interesting about the Sun Strike, it's not a term I've ever heard before, though I've heard of the effect :thumbsup:

Mate, yerba mate, that is...

XjJqeJZh.jpg

@Cambertree’s question about whether I’d tried mate (pronounced MAH-tay, if you’re unfamiliar with it) in Argentina reminded me that I hadn’t had it in quite some time. So I ordered a bag of my favorite brand (Rosamonte), cleaned my mate gourd (mine’s leather wrapped) and bombilla (the metal straw), and did my best to be patient for morning to come.

Edit: I forgot to include the picture yesterday’s unboxing. The puukko was overkill for opening the shipping box, but it was what was first at hand when the postal carrier arrived. :D

m7YWM7qh.jpg

I prefer the “especial” version, but apparently botched the order when I decided to look for a half kilogram bag instead of a full. Oh well, if I end up finishing the bag, I’ll order the good stuff. ;)

Last edited:
20180525_182028.jpg

Those durned kiwis.
Look they're at it again.
Whatever next?
NZ Gunnuss?
The eagle looks like the one off the muppet show.
Wizards knife still going strong.Damn fine machinery.
Cheers JB.

Good to see it Meako :) I managed to find another carbon-bladed kitchen knife myself, but it is not as nice as yours. It's surprising how hard they are to find here :thumbsup:

flq4kxc.jpg

Kind of odd concoction this, initially I didn't much like it but it does grow on you. Perhaps it's the 7.9% that helps...I think one bottle is enough though. I remain sceptical about all this hype about past recipes and brewer's books. It tastes modern to me, that grapefruit citrus and burned malty taste appears in so many contemporary beers that they become hard to tell apart. Some people will really enthuse about this and similar types, but it's not refreshing or clean tasting to me.

The Böker Stockman ticks all the boxes though, bone that is refreshing and clean:cool::D

4byTODn.jpg

And there was me thinking the streets of Sheffield and Leeds and indeed York are an Aladdins cave of cutlery old and new.
Still it was mission and a half and made some good reading.
Actually thats not a bad name for a shop.
Aladdins Cave of Cutlery.

And there was me thinking the streets of Sheffield and Leeds and indeed York are an Aladdins cave of cutlery old and new.
Still it was mission and a half and made some good reading.
Actually thats not a bad name for a shop.
Aladdins Cave of Cutlery.

Sadly not, there's still loads of flatware, much of it still boxed - wedding presents that got put away for 'best', and never used. Most of the old carbon kitchen knives probably got tossed out though, too much trouble to look after compared to stainless, folks wanted shiny and dish-washer safe :rolleyes:

The 1970s has a lot to answer for my Yorkshire pal.:D
Disco music
Modular plastic furnishings
Slade
Idi Amin
the list is endless.

I know
Me too.
I found a full fold out cover Slade vinyl in an op shop. Colour booklet pages all intact.
Too bad the LP had been left on the back step in the sun .unplayable.
Jack
When I die and go to hell Lucifer himself will hand me a beer and say "meakohhh good ta see ya mate get the fire going will ya" I'll be thinking hey this isnt so bad. Then the horn ed one will say " Ive got the collected works of Racey for you to listen to."

Back