Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Picked up a holiday pack of Samuel Smith beers at Trader Joe's. Came with three beers, a pint glass, and two coasters. Crazy to say this is the first Samuel Smith beer I've ever had. They make good stuff. Along for the ride is a Northwoods Little Creek which I'm loving a lot more than I anticipated I would 😊
Vr7d028.jpg

Nice! :thumbsup: They make some pretty good stuff. 😁

eK76zA1.jpg

It's been a little while since I have posted in this thread.

It's that time of year again though and my wife opted to curate a Beer Advent for me rather than buy me a premade one. I suspect that there will be some mighty fine brews for me to enjoy in the coming weeks and today's option confirms this: a pFriem Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout (everything pFriem makes is excellent, this one should be a real treat).

NElKtFG.jpg

CCW92Zx.jpg

mkCSNJK.jpg

It's that time of year again though and my wife opted to curate a Beer Advent for me rather than buy me a premade one. I suspect that there will be some mighty fine brews for me to enjoy in the coming weeks and today's option confirms this: a pFriem Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout (everything pFriem makes is excellent, this one should be a real treat).

NElKtFG.jpg

CCW92Zx.jpg

mkCSNJK.jpg
Awesome! Can’t wait to see the daily brew!!! Merle is looking good as well!

NElKtFG.jpg

CCW92Zx.jpg

mkCSNJK.jpg

That’s really cool, Dylan. Looks like a much more legit DIY advent calendar than the scraps of paper I used last year. 😁

Dsuc1FK.jpg

As some of you may remember, I did a DIY whisk(e)y advent calendar last December, which turned out to be more enjoyable than I expected. At the very least, it was an excuse to crack open of a few bottles I’d had sitting around but hadn’t brought myself to try up to that point.

Well that idea had come about because I had wanted to do the beer advent calendar that was sold at Costco, but I didn’t manage to buy one before they were sold out (which, if I remember correctly, was very early November).

Now the calendar that I failed to get was the same one that Pàdruig Pàdruig drank his way through last year, which (if you remember Dylan’s posts from last year) consisted of a disappointingly disproportionate number of Pilsners and Helles lagers. So you would think, when I saw the same beer advent calendar stacked up at Costco this year, that I’d take that into consideration and maybe pass on it.

And I did take it into consideration… and then I bought it anyways, Pilsners and Helles be damned. 😁

wXXKFM0.jpg

First up is… a Helles! 😎 Grantler Hell “Grumpy German Helles” from Schlossbrauerei Herrngierdorf.

vdE3j6G.jpg

I will say, for a German beer advent calendar, this is a pretty good start. It’s a solid German pale lager — crisp, malty, refreshing. I could drink several of these (maybe from a boot). 😁

Prost! 🍺

That’s really cool, Dylan. Looks like a much more legit DIY advent calendar than the scraps of paper I used last year. 😁

Dsuc1FK.jpg

As some of you may remember, I did a DIY whisk(e)y advent calendar last December, which turned out to be more enjoyable than I expected. At the very least, it was an excuse to crack open of a few bottles I’d had sitting around but hadn’t brought myself to try up to that point.

Well that idea had come about because I had wanted to do the beer advent calendar that was sold at Costco, but I didn’t manage to buy one before they were sold out (which, if I remember correctly, was very early November).

Now the calendar that I failed to get was the same one that Pàdruig Pàdruig drank his way through last year, which (if you remember Dylan’s posts from last year) consisted of a disappointingly disproportionate number of Pilsners and Helles lagers. So you would think, when I saw the same beer advent calendar stacked up at Costco this year, that I’d take that into consideration and maybe pass on it.

And I did take it into consideration… and then I bought it anyways, Pilsners and Helles be damned. 😁

wXXKFM0.jpg

First up is… a Helles! 😎 Grantler Hell “Grumpy German Helles” from Schlossbrauerei Herrngierdorf.

vdE3j6G.jpg

I will say, for a German beer advent calendar, this is a pretty good start. It’s a solid German pale lager — crisp, malty, refreshing. I could drink several of these (maybe from a boot). 😁

Prost! 🍺

I very much enjoyed your Whisky Advent last year, Barret - it was very well done.

I don't recall the grumpy face on any of my cans from last year so hopefully you will find some good variety in your Beer Advent this year. I do like a good Lager now and then, I just prefer other styles more.

Day 2 for my Advent finds me with a Scottish Ale from Beer Valley Brewing Company called (somewhat eponymously) Scottish Life. I like Scottish Ales - they are rich and malty without having a really high ABV. Last drink that Merle shares with me before getting sent to his next stop.

hQEewMG.jpg

Nice selection of Samuel Smith! I'm gonna have to track down those organic beers :)

I'm trying out the Winter Welcome Ale tonight
8hq6ZTd.jpg

Sorry, I meant to reply to your post yesterday and somehow forgot to!

The Organic Lager, while certainly not bad, was probably the beer I enjoyed least from Sam Smith’s. The Pale Ale was quite good, and the Organic Chocolate Stout was surprisingly chocolatey; not something I’d want to have on a regular basis, but enjoyable.

I very much enjoyed your Whisky Advent last year, Barret - it was very well done.

I don't recall the grumpy face on any of my cans from last year so hopefully you will find some good variety in your Beer Advent this year. I do like a good Lager now and then, I just prefer other styles more.

Day 2 for my Advent finds me with a Scottish Ale from Beer Valley Brewing Company called (somewhat eponymously) Scottish Life. I like Scottish Ales - they are rich and malty without having a really high ABV. Last drink that Merle shares with me before getting sent to his next stop.

hQEewMG.jpg

Thanks, Dylan. :thumbsup: I did have a quick peek at the beers included in my advent calendar, listed on the side of the box. I recognized a few labels from your posts last year, so I’m guessing it’s a mix of returning beers and new ones. Still seems heavy on the Pilsners and Helles. Like you, I don’t mind a good lager, but there are certainly more interesting styles out there.

Tonight’s beer is Hoamat Weissbier from Privatbrauerie M.C Wienenger. Wheat beers have never been my favorite, and are something I rarely seek out. This one is… just ok. It has that banana-and-clove wheat beer thing going on, which is one of the things I don’t like about this style, but it’s fairly subtle here. Unfortunately everything about this beer is pretty subtle; there’s nothing exciting going on here.

7MaCzfc.jpg

Unfortunately everything about this beer is pretty subtle; there’s nothing exciting going on here.

I think that could sum up a good many lagers (or light beer styles in general). I would have to say that wheat beers are far from a favorite of mine as well - sometimes you can end up with a good one though.

Day 3 sees the return of a favorite, though I haven't had this one in quite some time. Elysian Dragontooth Imperial Oatmeal Stout, made in Seattle, WA. This ale is like magical black nectar and I've definitely spoiled my dinner. No regrets, though.

ZLA2ePj.jpg

I think that could sum up a good many lagers (or light beer styles in general). I would have to say that wheat beers are far from a favorite of mine as well - sometimes you can end up with a good one though.

Day 3 sees the return of a favorite, though I haven't had this one in quite some time. Elysian Dragontooth Imperial Oatmeal Stout, made in Seattle, WA. This ale is like magical black nectar and I've definitely spoiled my dinner. No regrets, though.

ZLA2ePj.jpg
That’s a great picture and a great beer!!!

hQEewMG.jpg
I need to try that.... looks very tasty! And, a most excellent smoke to go with it.... the Decade is one of my favorite RP's....

Tonight’s beer from the Costco German Brewer’s Advent Calendar is a second (it won’t be the last 😁) helles lager, Alms Hell brewed by Privatbrauerei Egerer. Now I may change my tune over the next couple weeks, but right now, I honestly can’t complain. Like the first helles, this one is tasty and refreshing, crisp and malty, but with a more pronounced hops flavor than the first. I really enjoyed it, and I wish I had another to crack open right about now.

LNPEoK3.jpg

(You'll have to forgive the Guinness glass, and the Sam Adams one from last night. I honestly don’t think I have a proper pilsner/helles or weissbier glass anywhere in the house, so I’ll just have to make due.)

Now… curious thing about tonight’s bier. I noticed that the label on this one was, in fact, a label that was wrapped around the can rather than printed directly on it. Not that unusual, I’ve certainly seen small breweries (especially ones just getting started) here in the US that use a label on top of a blank can. Out of curiosity, I started to peel off the label, and what I found underneath was a can for a completely different beer (although of the same style) from a different brewery, Bürgerliches Brauhaus Altbairisch Hell. Interesting. I’m not really sure what to make of that. 🧐

mVGnO4Q.jpg

Back