• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

bh49 is not bad news - beware of Tulku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
warning: bh49 is not an honest guy.

I just purchased a Spyderco dragonfly in Hap40, he described the knife as being brand new - when the knife arrived I immediately noticed the blade was covered in greasy fingerprints. When I whiped them off I could feel that the blade had an almost scary amount of up/down blade play. I contacted him right away about this, I was angry and asked Roman if he knew there was an issue with the blade or if it was a factory second.
He claimed that the lock was not defective when he shipped the knife and said I could send it back, that he would inspect it and if i returned the same knife he would refund my money minus the cost for shipping.
Now as I said I was already angry, but his implying that I might attempt to switch knives was insulting and I feel he was creating a scenario for deniability.

I asked for a full refund an apology and half of my shipping cost (excessive I know, but I was very angry) the following day I cooled down and reread the messages - I apologized for my heated words and asked him to work with me to resolve this.
I wanted my money returned (I agreed to his turms of payment minus his cost for shipping) and I pledged to send the knife via priority with tracking info. He flatly declined to apologize, again he asked that I send him the knife for inspection first, and if he decided that it was the one he sent me and that there was an issue he would return a portion of my payment.

Now at this point, I already feel he has misled me about the quality of the knife being like new and he has positioned himself for an easy out should he decide not to refund my money. I told him I have kept my word, I trusted you when I sent payment, now please do the same and send me a refund - this was folllowed by several messages about his return policy and something about common sense.

So long story short, I don't feel safe sending the knife back because at this point I have no reason to believe he will refund my money, he is too slippery and indirectly dishonest. If he was an honorable person he would have no issue with refunding my purchase. Agree or disagree, that's how I feel in this specific instance. I feel misled by him and now I believe the burden of proof is on him, to prove that he was not just looking to unload a defective knife.

"I'm sorry your unhappy, yes I will refund your money please return the knife right away"

Yeah, didn't happen. I understand that we all have bad days and once in a while you get a bad deal, stuff happens and we move on. Personally I feel it's the buyers responsibility to meet there customers expectations - I hate having to call someone out for poor business polices or fraudulent sales.

If your looking for feedback on Roman Yampolsky's character I'll say this: Buyer beware

Last edited by a moderator:
If you purchased the knife on the 26th it got to you a couple/few days later, and its now new years eve. I would say you may have been a little hasty posting this. He has ~90 trades and had %100 positive feedback, I'm doubtful he is going to risk his reputation on a Dragonfly. But that is my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

Hall of Shame is for long-term, big-time bad guys. This is a one-time question on a member with a good record. I'm moving it to Feedback.

Did you pay with paypal G&S? If so, file an Item Not As Described claim. They'll have you return it, but you'll have recourse. He owes you a full refund, with no shipping withheld if the knife is misrepresented as you claim.

Wow, this is a real poop show. I can't believe he is actually accusing you of trying to scam to scam him, if you had a knife that was messed up you could just send it in for service. Sorry this happened, and I hope you get a good resolution.

Did you pay with paypal G&S? If so, file an Item Not As Described claim. They'll have you return it, but you'll have recourse. He owes you a full refund, with no shipping withheld if the knife is misrepresented as you claim.

This. If it is really as bad as you say file a claim. PayPal will hold the money in his account until its returned. Provide a tracking number showing it got back to him and they will refund your money. You won't get shipping back, consider the shipping cost as a loss. That all is of course if you sent payment using Goods and Services.

warning: Roman Yampolsky is not an honest guy.

Tulku, thank you for starting this thread. I would love to hear opinion of Blade forums people to about this transaction. I am not like you and will not call you names, which you did almost in every e-mail.
when the knife arrived I immediately noticed the blade was covered in greasy fingerprints. When I whiped them off I could feel that the blade had an almost scary amount of up/down blade play. I contacted him right away about this, I was angry and asked Roman if he knew there was an issue with the blade or if it was a factory second.
He claimed that the lock was not defective when he shipped the knife and said I could send it back, that he would inspect it and if i returned the same knife he would refund my money minus the cost for shipping.
Strange, you never mentioned before greasy finger prints. Very interesting.

Now as I said I was already angry, but his implying that I might attempt to switch knives was insulting and I feel he was creating a scenario for deniability.

True, you certainly have a problem controlling your anger. but do you think that implying that the knife without "seconds" notch still second or person, who has 100+ positive transactions knowingly sending you broken knife is OK?
I asked for a full refund an apology and half of my shipping cost (excessive I know, but I was very angry) the following day I cooled down and reread the messages - I apologized for my heated words and asked him to work with me to resolve this.

He flatly declined to apologize, again he asked that I send him the knife for inspection first, and if he decided that it was the one he sent me and that there was an issue he would return a portion of my payment.

Not true. I never declined to apologize. I re-read all our e-mails, so I am sure. And yes, didn't apologize because I still do not see a single reason why I should. When I receive my knife and if see that it is defective, I will apologize for doing bad job inspecting and for your inconvenience.

Now at this point, I already feel he has misled me about the quality of the knife being like new and he has positioned himself for an easy out should he decide not to refund my money.
Not true. You paid me with paypal. If you believe that you are right and I am wrong, you always can start dispute through paypal and get your money back [/QUOTE]

he was not just looking to unload a defective knife.

You cannot be serious about this.

I am member of this forum since 2005. Prior to this deal I had 102 positive feedbacks, no negatives, no neutrals.
The knife was new in the box. It never left the box until I decided to sell and took pictures. Per Tulku's request, I took the knife out of the box second time to take additional pictures. So I opened and closed the knife twice and I didn't notices any bladeplay, which would trigger my attention.
I received the money and shipped the knife. I was shocked to hear that I sold "second" or defective knife. Anyway I asked to send me the knife back and promised to return money after I inspect the knife. Unfortunately Tulku cannot wait and needs money now. Also he is very good at implying that I am dishonest and a thief. This is from one of his last e-mails:
"Don't force me to seek outside assistance in this regard.

Until you return my payment I will do whatever is necessary to make sure no one else is taken advantage of by your selfish policies.

I have started a discussion about this matter, the knife and your actions on the spyderco forum and Facebook.
I have even posted screen shots of our email messages. But I have withheld your name (for now). I hope to tell everyone watching this transaction that you have done the honorable thing and resolved this issue with me in a satisfactory manor.

People that knowingly misrepresent items for sale get blacklisted. People that keep money for items they fail to deliver are considered thieves.
These are heavy terms with very negative implications - you can resolve this with a simple gesture of trust, (as I trusted you) and return my payment immediately.
You have a limited widow to follow through with my request before I go public with your name and address. "

My offer still stands. Send me my knife back. After I receive the knife, I will inspect the knife. If I will find the knife defective, I will apologies for your trouble and send you your money back plus $10 to cover shipping to me.
If I will find the knife in good condition, I will send you you money minus cost of shipping. In this case you will owe me apologies for hassle, but do not worry about this. Less I will hear from you is better.
I will not call you any names and not ask any forum members not to deal with you. They will read this thread, this will be sufficient.

Last edited:
He has ~90 trades and had %100 positive feedback, I'm doubtful he is going to risk his reputation on a Dragonfly. But that is my opinion, take it for what it is worth.
thank you sir

+1
As I said above, if the buyer doesn't want to send the knife to me, this will be a good idea.

I do my best to be transparent. And if any think that this will be helpful, I can post our entire e-mail exchange.

OP is in the wrong.... if in fact the knife is defective you still have to send it back first to get a refund... thats just the way it goes. File a claim with Payapal and they will tell you to do the same exact thing. I can tell op is one of those people you wouldnt be able to ever satisfy. He wants things done his way or the highway. Threatening to post a name and address in this instance is wrong and going way over board. Just my opinion.

The seller seems more than willing to work with you already, and has been in communication apparently, so I'm not sure what the problem is here.

With spyderco lockbacks it's fairly common for them to have a bit of up and down wiggle, it's the nature of the locking mechanism. I can't play with your knife, so I'm not sure if what you're experiencing is normal or not. If this is your first, it could be you're just not used to/aware of that. If it truly is an overlooked problem or abnormal, the seller has already done the right thing and agreed to your return. It's unfortunate, but things do sometimes get overlooked. Spyderco is excellent with return and warranty work as well, although I'm not sure what they'll do about fingerprints that you haven't already. Either of those options will get you better results than what you're doing here.

I don't know the whole story, nor the true condition of the knife, but jumping straight to the forums to complain when you've already been presented perfectly reasonable other options is in poor taste.

Last edited:
OP why are you making all this immediate noise in public when the seller has offered to settle with you?

The tone and intent of your e-mails makes for significant reading....

To reiterate what has already been said, the standard is that a refund is issued only when the item is successfully returned. Put yourself in the seller's shoes to realize why. As a buyer, if you're worried about the seller not refunding you, that's what PayPal buyer protection is for (and that's of course why you only pay via Goods & Services).

I appreciate everyone's response, bear in mind that it's easy to take a portion from a long exchange of messages out of context. I did use PayPal G&S and I will seek PayPals assistance in resolving this - the seller simply lost my trust during communication as I became increasingly annoyed.
We are both at fault for our poor communication.

I appreciate everyone's response, bear in mind that it's easy to take a portion from a long exchange of messages out of context. I did use PayPal G&S and I will seek PayPals assistance in resolving this - the seller simply lost my trust during communication as I became increasingly annoyed.
We are both at fault for our poor communication.

In that case, take his name out of your posts.

I posted the sellers name at his request because he feels he is in the right, I also feel I have a genuine grievance. I posted this for you and others as a cautionary.

Well i find that when u have problems it is best to have a cool head and chose your words wisely
To the OP ...it seems like your anger might have made things harder for u than it should be hey even a new knife can have a few problems and posting things here made u look a but short sided
To the seller...i buy and sell alot with my business so i know it is hard to see every item and things get missed and it seems like u are more than willing to take it back and make it right and i see u even say if it is your mistake u will refund all shipping and apologize which most wont
I think the OP should apologize and do as requested by seller and we all can see how it goes forth
Life is too short to sweat the small stuff...with all the turmoil in this great world and so many hurting...cold...let us all take a moment to think of them and pray that this new year will be better than the last
God Bless,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Threatening the seller is never a good idea especially if you have a legit case, the facts will speak for themselves. It just causes you to lose face as a result. In PayPal Terms of Service they state you will not be entitled to return shipping costs. It's fairly common practice on BF not to receive return shipping costs on an item unless it is grossly misrepresented. The seller is offering you return shipping costs if indeed the DFly is a piece of crap as you state. What more could you want? Sometimes we all overlook something, it's happened to me. I definetly wasn't trying to pull a fast one but I might not look for the same things you do in a knife. Maybe he didn't grab the blade and check for play. The "Seki City Rock" is a pretty common occurrence with lock back Spydercos. If the seller really was trying to get one over on you he wouldn't be here defending himself. I'm not sure I agree with the seller trying to be reimbursed for shipping costs if the knife is as described and I'm pretty sure PayPal won't see it that way either.

I agree with the above, don't carry such a meager grevience into a brand new year. At most you will both be out $6.80. I'll send you both $6.80 if that's really what is holding up this deal.

Last edited:
Threatening the seller is never a good idea especially if you have a legit case, the facts will speak for themselves. It just causes you to lose face as a result. In PayPal Terms of Service they state you will not be entitled to return shipping costs. It's fairly common practice on BF not to receive return shipping costs on an item unless it is grossly misrepresented. The seller is offering you return shipping costs if indeed the DFly is a piece of crap as you state. What more could you want? Sometimes we all overlook something, it's happened to me. I definetly wasn't trying to pull a fast one but I might not look for the same things you do in a knife. Maybe he didn't grab the blade and check for play. The "Seki City Rock" is a pretty common occurrence with lock back Spydercos. If the seller really was trying to get one over on you he wouldn't be here defending himself. I'm not sure I agree with the seller trying to be reimbursed for shipping costs if the knife is as described and I'm pretty sure PayPal won't see it that way either.

I agree with the above, don't carry such a meager grevience into a brand new year. At most you will both be out $6.80. I'll send you both $6.80 if that's really what is holding up this deal.
Very well said

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back