Big knife vs Axe

I think both have their pluses and minuses. The plus for a big knife is brush clearing. The plus for the hatchet is it's easier to use for small tasks. Like others have said it comes down to the area and the user. I don't think there's a clear cut "This is better than that." My preference is for a hawk/hatchet but I would be just fine with a knife/machete. In the summer I don't carry either.

True true. In the warmest part of the summer sometimes the only thing I'll carry is my bear spray and my Vic One Handed Trekker which has a saw on it. If I need an improvised weapon to back up the bear spray I can always fire harden an improvised wooden spear.

Here in the Rockies at least, the weather can turn real ugly fast, and one can find themselves in 33 degree rain for 2-3 days if hiking high up. If I go up high I'll always carry at least my Carbon V SRK and my 7" Bahco Laplander folding saw. Other times the 12" Barong machete is in my pack or on my side as it is an excellent bush tool. Axe all other times of the year.

just want to show this, but whatever your preference, who would NOT want this to play with!!!?

P8170021.jpg

DSC_8683.jpg

DSC_8684.jpg

This axe was light, perfectly balanced and just great to look at!
http://www.heavinforge.co.za/

So, I've got to ask this, how much do you guys really consider the "weaponability" of what you bring with you on a hike? I used to think along these lines; like I was going to get attacked by ninjas and whip out my Ka-Bar and go all rambo on them, or wrestle a bear. But seriously... I just don't anymore. It's kind of insane, and from all I can tell is that (sadly) self defense with a bladed tool looks VERY badly in the eyes of the law right now.

If you really are expecting to face some ugly may I recommend something between maybe a Glock 19 and a Magnum Research BFR in the 45-70 or a 500 S&W. Again, pick the right tool for the right job.

God bless,
Adam

I love both! Both are fun and will get the job done. Some of it comes down to preference, some of it comes down to the tasks, but both are fun and both are efficient tools that have sharp edge on them.

Can't we all just get along?

I own a Junglas, a custom chopper, and I just ordered my first Grunsfor Bruks Hatchet. I'm excited for that bad boy to come in!

Having been raised in Andalusia, which couldn't be too far from you, I know exactly what you mean about the brush. A machete is almost a necessity.

Down here in South Alabama, the undergrowth requires a machete if you have to do any clearing. After that, it's all going to come down to preference. Having grown up clearing trails, hunting and building forts with a machete, the idea of using large knives had to grow on me in my later years. I have a number of large choppers (the usual suspects) and have'nt used them for anything yet because everytime a job arises I instinctively reach for a machete. For instance, a buddy and I were clearing out a small area at a hunting camp to install a ladder stand against a tree. The tree we selected had various types of underbrush growing around it, ranging from 1/2" to 3 1/2" scrub. My friend brought a gas powered tool with a chainsaw attachment and was preparing to crank it when I unsheathed a machete and after 4 or 5 swings most of the work was done. He was'nt very familiar with a machete and marveled at how it had made short work of the scrub. Now we know that several other 'tools' could have performed the same task, but for that type of work I still have to believe that the machete was the most efficient one. For me, style will have to take a bow to function when I have to get something done. If I can approach a task leisurely then I might experiment with something else, otherwise I sweat too much and too easily to look good doing it!

So, I've got to ask this, how much do you guys really consider the "weaponability" of what you bring with you on a hike? I used to think along these lines; like I was going to get attacked by ninjas and whip out my Ka-Bar and go all rambo on them, or wrestle a bear. But seriously... I just don't anymore. It's kind of insane, and from all I can tell is that (sadly) self defense with a bladed tool looks VERY badly in the eyes of the law right now.

If you really are expecting to face some ugly may I recommend something between maybe a Glock 19 and a Magnum Research BFR in the 45-70 or a 500 S&W. Again, pick the right tool for the right job.

God bless,
Adam

Did you read the thread or did I miss the weapon conversation?:confused:

I haven't carried an axe/hatchet in years. The only place I have used machetes are in the jungles when I got so tied up I had to literally beat the brush to get through.

All I carry now is a knife and a fold out saw. The shelter I made last weekend was used with these two tools and it was done much faster than it could have been done with an axe.

It was about 10F outside which makes trees difficult to chop. Stick with trees no wider than the saw can handle. Cut it in lengths appropriate to build whatever shelter you are making.

For fire starting stick with wood that is fairly dry. In the winter this is easier because the moisture gets sucked out of the limbs. and closer to the roots. Check for dryness by scraping a little off the outside and looking at the Cambrian. To split it either use your knife and a piece of wood as a hammer on top of the knife. Or your could use the saw: cut only half way through the section of wood and then hit it against another tree and it will split it lengthwise for you. That technique is hard to describe but works well once you figure it out. You might be able to google the "alaska split" or something similar and see how it works. It ends up being much faster than using an axe.

Shotgun,

Yes, I did read the (entire) thread. It was being discussed on the previous page (4). Two individuals were discussing the potential of an axe as a weapon since it lacks a point.

God bless,
Adam

Growing up on acreage here in the Pacific Northwest and using a wood burner to heat our house every spring, fall and winter I've been using hatchets, axes, and splitting mauls since my earliest memories. The only thing I've ever used a machete for is clearing blackberry vines that grow out of control around here. However with that said I just ordered a big chopper knife and a tomohawk and can't wait to broaden my horizons.

I haven't carried an axe/hatchet in years. The only place I have used machetes are in the jungles when I got so tied up I had to literally beat the brush to get through.

All I carry now is a knife and a fold out saw. The shelter I made last weekend was used with these two tools and it was done much faster than it could have been done with an axe.

It was about 10F outside which makes trees difficult to chop. Stick with trees no wider than the saw can handle. Cut it in lengths appropriate to build whatever shelter you are making.

For fire starting stick with wood that is fairly dry. In the winter this is easier because the moisture gets sucked out of the limbs. and closer to the roots. Check for dryness by scraping a little off the outside and looking at the Cambrian. To split it either use your knife and a piece of wood as a hammer on top of the knife. Or your could use the saw: cut only half way through the section of wood and then hit it against another tree and it will split it lengthwise for you. That technique is hard to describe but works well once you figure it out. You might be able to google the "alaska split" or something similar and see how it works. It ends up being much faster than using an axe.

Now you are really messing with people! Machete, Axe or a Saw????? :D

(one should have all three in the garage IMO and know how to use them!)

If we are talking about using tools out of the garage I will just grab my Stihl and make short work of anything. I was thinking about those times when I am in the middle of nowhere AK. Less time in the house and more in the mountains. I am stuck in school right now but rest assured when this semester is out I will be waist deep in the snow looking for critters. I will not have an axe, machete, or hatchet with me.

If we are talking about using tools out of the garage I will just grab my Stihl and make short work of anything. I was thinking about those times when I am in the middle of nowhere AK. Less time in the house and more in the mountains. I am stuck in school right now but rest assured when this semester is out I will be waist deep in the snow looking for critters. I will not have an axe, machete, or hatchet with me.

I guess this is where personal preference start in that I will have a saw and a axe if I went out in the snow.

I am not talking about using anything out of the garage, merely stating that those are tools (axe, machete and a saw) I consider everyone should be able to handle to a degree and one should practice with them. Now there are some people that would disagree with me. They do not want to nor see the benefit of knowing these tools. I have a few friends like that, but that is not how I grew up.

Last edited:
I think we can all agree that first and foremost it depends on ones geographic location...

Those in the north tend to prefer an axe due to the predominant hardwood vegetation...

I dont think it is entirely geographic location. A saw works leaps and bounds better than a chopping device against frozen trees or getting through frozen lakes. The chore of splitting can still be left to a thick bladed knife and a piece of wood to help punch it through.

I dont think it is entirely geographic location. A saw works leaps and bounds better than a chopping device against frozen trees or getting through frozen lakes. The chore of splitting can still be left to a thick bladed knife and a piece of wood to help punch it through.

As much as I agree it's also a question of how big the wood is in the saw vs chopping tool discussion. Sometimes a single whack is enough while the saw needs a bit more. And some saws are unfortunately a bit on the smaller times at times. Even though a nice discussion starter mate :thumbup:

I grew up in a logging community in Oregon so there is no doubt in my mind that the size of wood to be cut will determine the tool to use. With that I try not to bite off more than I can chew. If I am not procuring wood to use in my stove at home I tend to pick on the little guys in the woods. I have to be pretty specific to what trees I attack to keep my hunting camps warm and manageable. If the wood is much bigger than a beer can in circumference I like to let them be. That being said, in my neck of the woods there is an abundance supply of the little guys beckoning to keep me busy.

Or do you like this meathod?
A little chopping test I did. My 13" 3/16" stock O-1 golok, BK9, Convexed 11" cutlass machete, and my 12" Husqvarna hand forged hatchet....
It was way easier to split the log with the hatchet. The log I batonned was not nearly the size and still took way more effort. There is a reason that axes developed in the northern latitutes where hard woods dominate. They work better for wood processing, and the smaller knives do the cutting. :D

now here's a post i "wood" have expected to see over on the Becker side too :)

good stuff. love me my small axes, but i love me my large knives.

both do most of the jobs, esp if you have the time, but if you are burning daylight, or are cold, you can the one that can do the job fastest and safest.

Bladite

My favorites!
IMG_4852.jpg

ah, i see you have a uh ... problem too :)

here's about half of mine :)

93485574_axE9t-L.jpg

i should update the family picture at some point; many of the others resemble your bunch (more smaller wetterling or Gransfors Bruks choppers, and more Fiskars, and 6 other heads)

Bladite

An axe has carving capablebility which a kukri on other semi tactical blades might not have.
The picture shows the fuzz sticks I made with a Wetterlings Large Hunting Axe and a carbon Mora (about the best knife for this job).
P1080919.jpg

P1080917.jpg

mmm, nice. two of my most favorite goto tools.

i esp LOVE that style of mora. i buy everyone under $10 i get my hands on :>

Bladite

Back