1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Biggest disappointment!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by harcourt22, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Mistman68

Mistman68 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Buck Sprint Pro with micarta scales, thought it would be a cool little knife in S30V, on sale so not out a lot (under $100). Highly dissapointed in the stamped detent that wasn't strong enough to hold the blade closed. The lockbar could be pushed all the way to the opposite scale and stick there. Lots of lock rock. I took it apart, punched the detent a little deeper, 'adjusted' the lockbar, cleaned it all up. It's better but not great.

Viper Storm in M390. The lockbar skitters across the blade, had to tighten it up quite a bit to eliminate blade play to the point it needs some authority to get it to flip well and is very sluggish. Thought I'd give it a try since it's a Hinderer collab, again, wasn't a whole lot of $$ but that's pretty relative.

Some of the knives people aren't liking really surprise me. I love my CRK Zaan, ZT 0560/561's and PM2/3's. Good thing there are so many to choose from.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  2. Weiss

Weiss

Jan 3, 2007
    The Stedemon ZKC-BP02 was pretty disappointing. I wanted to try a ball-bearing kwaiken-style folder and discovered that this one feels cheap and flimsy in the hand, and the blade is too thick for the kind of slicing I prefer. Despite my usually adequate sharpening skills, I have a devil of a time getting it back to shaving sharp. The pivot loosens easily and noticeably after about ten openings, introducing blade wobble. On the up side, though, the orange-handled knife is easy to spot rolling around inside the black console of my car.

3. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Well, tastes change over the years. My Grip is currently my only knife I've bought custom handles for, and love albeit don't carry often. While I never grew fond of the AK-47 it was the size that got me, and my Mini AK-47 is dearly beloved knife. Perfect EDC size, and the blade is ground wonderfully thin in a great steel, possibly the best ~$50 I've spent on a knife. The AK handle texture was one thing I really warmed up to, I found out that just lightly rubbing it with some wood takes the pants eating away while keeping the grippy nature.

BITEME and colin.p like this.
  4. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Weird that we have such polar opposite experiences with that knife. For me it's my gold standard of thumb stud knife action, an absolute free swinging blade with a perfect detent. No issues getting or keeping an edge on it either, but that could be being accustomed to very stubborn steels like Maxamet and S110V, everything below S30V just feels easy to sharpen in comparison. My only complaints with the knife are that the perfect free swinging blade requires the pivot to be a hair loose, so there's a smidge of play, and the tip is able to be just barely snagged when the knife is open, although it hasn't happened yet.

5. Weiss

Weiss

Jan 3, 2007
    Well, one of these days I'll Loctite the pivot screw and give it a proper sharpening. Maybe then I'll warm up to it. Till then, though, I have other knives to play with. I do agree with you, though, on the bullet-firing nature of its deployment, and the ease with which it swings shut.

6. Biochemdawg

Biochemdawg Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Like you I was super disappointed with the Buck sprint pro. It completely turned me off. I love the vantage line, but always felt I was being lenient because I love the brand. But the sprint pro Left a bad impression with me

Mistman68 likes this.
  7. steelhog

steelhog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 2, 2009
    For me it was the Strider SNG. It may have just been a bad one that I got but man did it have lock rock and blade play.

Popsickle likes this.
  8. bobobama

bobobama Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2017
    It's an acquired taste for sure. I have one in CTS BD-1 steel and rather like it. It's about as close to a fixed blade in a folder that you'll find. Takes a real he-man to close it though!

9. Meaningless opinion

Meaningless opinion

Jul 29, 2018
    Mine was a microtech ultratech I got for myself for the big 3-0. Broke in less than a month with hardly any use. It went back to MT, they fixed it and I got it back after a month and a half. It broke 3 days later. While I was in the store to have it sent back again a guy offered to buy it when it came back. Done deal, took $100 loss after another month and a half but I learned my lesson. Couldn't get myself to take more than that given its history. They aren't that complicated inside, 3 days is pretty ridiculous - I've seen people post clones that have done better, lol.

10. Apalachicola

Apalachicola

Jun 24, 2019
    Dull blade on a new 562ti. I got over it. I’m very bitter about my crappy Pilar too- great design, terrible knife.

11. ex Vento

ex Vento

May 30, 2008
    Benchmade 710 for me. Blade had have play, was not centered and touched the backspacer.

12. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I've owned 3 Emersons. All had significant issues. Linerlock jamming. Off center. Blade rub. Gritty.

Never again.

marrenmiller likes this.
  13. Chucktabulous

Chucktabulous

Jan 11, 2019
    Tried 3 different Emerson’s and I was embarrassed for the company.
    Hinderer blades were a big bummer for sure.
    I’m a spiderco fanboy but the Military wasn’t a happy buy for me.

14. Tseg

Tseg

Aug 25, 2018
    Large Sebenza with Wood Inlay and Damascus blade
    • Too large to carry regularly
    • Too nice to carry regularly
    • Shiny titanium scales already scratched so devalued
    • Damascus blade degrades from "hydraulic smooth" action like I get on small Inkosi
    • Damascus blade makes action feel less "tight" than similar quality production knives I have with "regular" steel blades
    Unfortunately I'm not good at selling hobby items I acquire. Right now I'm "damned if I do, damned if I don't" with this knife. It pains me to spend good money on something I don't avidly use. It pains me even more to lose money on something I just sold because I did not avidly use it.

15. Chucktabulous

Chucktabulous

Jan 11, 2019
    The Sebenza I got didn’t pass as a work knife, either.
    Weird heat treat or something.

16. DCFree

DCFree Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2019
    My biggest disappointment had to be the very first CRK knife I bought, a Mnandi in bog oak (and as I explain in this post, this isn't an issue with CRK quality at all). I ordered the Mnandi from a major knife retailer and, upon receiving it, began opening the CRK box with excitement. It was beautiful, as expected, and then I opened the knife...and the blade veered sharply to the right. Not a little, a lot. My excitement evaporated as I stared in disbelief at the crooked blade. Fortunately, I am quite comfortable taking apart knives, and CRK encourages it, and found that one of the washers was also slightly crimped. Cleaned everything, re-lubed and reassembled the knife and all was well. I have two Mnandis, and several other CRK knives and all have a perfect fit and finish, and this Mnandi remains one of my favorites. My guess is that someone tried to work on this knife and returned it to the retailer and it somehow got put in the rotation and sent to me unknowingly as I have always had a flawless experience with the manufacturer. Glad the story came full circle and it's one of my most carried and used knives to this day.

Pomsbz likes this.
  17. jhynds

jhynds Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Smock modified Spyderco Mini Southard

18. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I don't recall the model number, but a Gerber lockback.

Slicing warm butter dulled the thing, and the pivot screw kept falling out.
    It went into the trash the last time the screw came out and I couldn't find it.
    I'll never get another Gerber.

19. Gravy

Gravy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Boker plus urban trapper
    - arrived with chips in the cocobolo
    - completely dull out of the box
    - very hard to sharpen, either the heat treat is bad, I suck at sharpening, or I just don’t like VG10
    - I feel like I can snap this thing in half with minimal effort
    - very light detent
    - has to take it apart twice to get the blade to stop rubbing the lock side liner

Buck redpoint - the first knife I ever bought

- absolute train wreck of a design, not even worth typing a whole page of what was wrong with it

20. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Got to say a Blackhawk CQD Mark I with bright yellow nylon handles.I found the handle extremely large and not ergonomic at all