Black Cloud Philippine Box Cutter

Hey Jon, the Fang's holding up great. As for the titanium sticks, man, still wish I could have a pair. Does anyone here have anything from Bladerigger besides a credit card blade? Looking forward to the book, Titan, enjoy the mags.

Got to make a correction here, that Black Cloud is not the sole maker of Szabo
designs, but the sole maker of Black Cloud models. Laci has some othre makers making some designs that can be done more advantageously by others, but I still make ALL the designs, I just cannot keep up with the numbers that he needs.

Jon, why do you make is sound like it's bad to throw in the extra punyo or smack? Personally, I do not mind hitting my partner a few extra times nor he me. I like the extra versatility this develops and dropping the bad man's head to a level even with my leg, hip or knee is a good thing in most any case, unless I can drop him to the level of my tires!!!!

Happy hunting!

Welcome to Bladeforums, Black Cloud! You have a lot of fans here -- every post I've seen about your knives is very favorable.

I've been wondering ... how do you grip the PBC? I guess if I held one in my hand I'd probably figure it out right away, but looking at the picture I'm not sure how to grip it in action. Is it designed to be used with more than one grip?

-Cougar Allen :{)

Parker,

Did I make it sound like smacking someone around w/ the punyo was a pain? I actually like it, I like to watch people grimace. But the only problem I encounter when I work w/ someone who's bigger and AS good as me is that the additional set up strike allows for a check and reversal, then from there, w/ the help of leverage and more mass, I could very well be the one in the body trap. On the other hand, if someone's my height, then it's all good. How tall are you, anyway? And to Cougar Allen, Enrnest said you grip it kinda like a Kerambit, which I'm assuming means the reverse grip, but I hold it either way. Reverse grip's nice, though, it allows for trapping and, above all, a nasty surprise for your assailant. And finally, to Ernest, what angle did you grind the PBC's blade at? The one I ordered from you has worked out great!

Jon, and for anyone else wanting a larger target, i am anbout six two, 175 or so (pre or post workout chnanges between 177 and 172) and have brown hair, hazel eyes and a great smile. My favorite foods are sushi and anything Korean, and my least favorite food is Bulgarian sausage ( it is vile, crunchy and greasy in a bad way, not a proper sausage at all.) I enjoy...

Sorry, in a weird mood today so I let the mood run the typewriter.

I am about six two, and this has worked well for me in terms of "I can hit you but you can't hit me" situations. My training partners with few exceptions have universally ben five six to five eight. I was forced to learn close in very well. My current instructor is about six four and is about two sixty. My enthusiasm can wane quickly after a good drop and stomp or two.

Yes you did make it sound as though it was not fun in the "extra" slap and smack, but what the hell, it's all good. Except that time I punched a guy on top the head with a fist...maybe if the left hook had not been so nice he would not have gone ouch so much. Best bet, do not pound a guy in the head with a solid cross. On the up side, it did knock him out and make him drool and drop his mouthpiece, even if my hand did break ( thru the glove and wrap).

You all were wondering if some one has some JSP stuff I have a WAng Bo stick. Yes it is expensive but it is worth it it is solid titanium I was very suprised how heavy it was the sharpned point is devasting for CQB. The cary system is cool if conceralment is not a issue . I am learning how to use it. It is great impact weapon I have been using it like nunchuks also with the cord it makes a great come along too. I also have JSP Alpine Hunter kick ass micro fighter. Yes Mr Mayer makes kick ass knives too I have a Jaws 4 it is lighting fast in tranig..
Brad

Hey, does Mayer still make the Jaws knives? I think I saw one (wasn't sure) and it looked really cool. Anyone have a titanium knife? I was wondering about its edge-holding capability. Also, this review apparently convinced a guy to get a PBC for himself. Doesn't that somehow count as a sort of referral discount/bonus for me?
smile.gif
Parker, is a Livesay your daily carry?

Jon, my daily is currently transitioning from Spydie Endura to Endura plus either MOD Razorback, my Uji or a BM Nimrod. I do carry the NRG if I am going running late and we have had neighborhood issues recently.

Hey Thrawn:

It's me that bought that PBC! And yes, I bought it based on the contents of this thread! I've been eyeing the PBC for a while, but no one ever posted a review...until now. You know what's funny, Ernie Mayer didn't even know Bladeforums existed until I directed him to this review! I should be getting my PBC this week - I can't wait. Thanks for the "referral"!!!

Squid

Parker, your daily carry's a Spydie, eh? You know, my new daily's the Delica, it's a helluva lot better than my BM Ascent (my first knife!). Still toting around the Livesay, huh? You know what would be great looking on his knives? A skeletonized handle. I don't know, it would make them, in my opinion, more tactical looking in nature. Truly "Wicked." Hey Squid, is your handle referring to your occupation? Sailor? Submariner? Just recognize the term b/c my dad's did 29 years in the Navy. And Mayer didn't even know about Bladeforums? Well, I'm glad he showed up b/c he hasn't replied to the last e-mail I sent him about the PBC. Glad my review could help you spend your money.
smile.gif
Parker, I don't know if I asked you, but do you ever do knife and stick?

Yes I do practice a little Espada y Daga, but i try to get it into the realm of Daga y Daga, or Glock and HK....holes in the handle? Whaddya, holes in the head? You seriously wanna weaken the knife that much? Tell you what Jon, take your favorite skeleton handle knife and pound it about the same way you would a non-skeleton version. Guaranteed to break much easier. By the way, tactically cooler skeletonized version is easier to lose your grip and fingers on that full handle with retention grooves and a solid grip on a bigger object. Just my opinion, backed up by my informal yet highly useful testing.

Parker, okay, you got me on the structural integrity point. I just like it b/c of the look, I'm one of those guys that feels that even my last ditch weapon should look cool. I've always been a pretty boy type, concerned about aesthetics just as much as efficiency. I figure, though, that I won't be banging the hell outta my REKAT Fang or maybe when I get one, an Emerson La Griffe so much that I'd be worrying about breaking it. Daga y Daga? My kinda escrima player! Unfortunately, my training is on hold, seeing as how I can't find a school for FMA. Got any Mad Dog knives? I was on a neck knife thread a week or so ago, and someone said something about an MD Rat Thing.

Mad Dog? Not a chance I will ever pay that much for a tanto with an oversize handle so big my paws cannot get around it. I love the Wild Thing and the Frequent Flyer, even found oner of the old 1/4 " stock FF with a guy willing to sell to civvie but I would not part with $150 for a piece of fiberglass. FF is a great knife, but so is my NRG for $20. Neck pieces? You already own four great ones it sounds like, and if you need a fifth, quit the pretty boy image and buy a Woo, nasty with a cord wrap and point that will not break. You can also tuck that sheath for the g-45 or Woo in your waistband and use the neck cord like a static cord, really smart alternative.

Not to get hard on you, mind, but c'mon Jon, where the hell you got room for "tactical" holes on the handle of an Uji? Ever held one? That thing is small, the handle can almost conceal itself in the little fold of cloth hanging out from a dress shirt, you know, the part that pulls out slightly when you sit down and then hangs properly when you stand up? My image of a last ditch get me the hell out of dodge weapon is Black, Sharp, Pointy, not gonna break, fast draw friendly and if I have my druthers I can club you to death with it. it is also v-8 powered and weighs eight thousand pounds, and comes with a chain gun! Okay, carried away, but hideout pieces are gonna be fast, dirty and practical. looks are secondary (I was exchanging messages with Blade Rigger today. maybe aesthetics will enter sooner than I thought? I did drool last night over both the Archangel and the Alpine Hunter...)

Aha! Even you are becoming subject to aesthetics! But Bladerigger stuff seems to me to be practical as well. Nope, never held an Uji, so no, I wouldn't know where to put holes in the handle. As for the MD stuff, I, too, was not willing to pay so much for a piece of fiberglass. I've seen people proclaim its greatness, but still, I'm not some idiot ninja wannabe who's gonna try to outsmart even the stupidest airport security. I think you and I are are both basically after the same thing in a concealment blade: discreet, easy to draw, secure in the hand, sharp, afffordable, and reliable. However, your dedication to just these factors is much stronger than mine, I'm sure, but the more you rag me for my aesthetics seeking, the more I do move towards pure function. That's why the Fang is a pretty good compromise, it's pretty cool looking (skeletonized handles, but it's thick!), plus possesses all the other factors. Anyway, I never thought of putting the G-45 IWB, but now that I think about it, that's a great idea, thanks. Now get off my back about the pretty boy thing!
smile.gif
Oh yeah, does Livesay use anything but 1095? Later.

you could ask him (Newt@Livesay.com) but I believe he will use othr steels upon request. Believe it or not I actually sort of prefer a stainles for against the body carry as sweat profusely if he temp gtes above 72 degrees F, but WD 40 on the knife before sheathing in goes a long way towards no rust. Over the fourth of July I carried an MOD Razorback SOB for five days, on the first within three hours I noticed a nasty rust forming on the 154-CM, which is the american and older version of ats-34, so I wd-40'ed the blade four or five times, cleaned it as best I could and then sprayed it again and put it in the sheath, no more issues. By the way, razorback is a great carry piece, sheath is nice and retentive, but the clip absolutely SUCKS. It will not adhere to a coach dress belt, hich I was wearing due to its ability to reist any kind of staining. Clip does not snap in place easily with nicer belts, so I am going to find out if White Wolf Knives who made MOD wil modify sheath for me with a better tighter fitting clip.

By the way, what were we talking about recently? PBC?

Yeah, we were talking about the PBC, but you know how discussions stray. Just how big is the Razorback? Funny thing is, I've never seen an ad showing it w/ its sheath. I really did wish the PBC had a belt attachment or a clip, but you can't have the world. I've had the same quick-rust problem on ATS-34 that you've had w/ the Razorback's 154CM. I thought they were on the very edge of being stainless. Oh well, that's what Talonite's for, I guess.

Razorback has a blade about three and three quarter, never bothered to measure, with a handle about four or four and a half. Very narrow, but the small handle does have an excellent squared profile with lovely retention and finger grooves. It does not move around at all on me. The blade was perhaps made for reverse as it thrusts really well in revers as well as fencing grip, and I have not had much luck cutting paper plates on a string (try it, you will learn a lot) but it does come very sharp for cutting meat like stuff. The point shoves into stuff really well, and makes a triangular hole when twisted. This will not close up easily. I will maybe just remove the clip or static cord it for dual retention, the clip can keep it from falling down my pants and the cord wil keep the sheath attached to my waist instead of the knife. One proble you will find with it is that it does ride so high the handle likes to try profiling along you rib cage, so just tell people you are carrying a knife to stab bad guys with...just kidding...maybe...all in all, but for the little sheath problem of staying on the belt, I would say it is a worthy balde and actually the sheath is a damn sight better than the POS delivered with Nimrod, which let the knife rattle around loose (I mailed it to Newt today for a new slip sheath with detachable clip.)

Tomorrow is Friday, primary training day, I am happy, or is it simply the Vivarin kicking in...my one true vice, caffiene. Later guys, maybe I can go a whole 24 hours with no posts? FT

Parker

OK, I just got my PBC yesterday. Yowza! Razor sharp and lightning quick. Goes unnoticed in one's hand. Just a bit larger than the Emerson LeGriffe. Thanks again, Thrawn, for the recommendation.

Thrawn: By the way...how do you carry yours?

Hey Squid, you're welcome for the recommendation. I'm glad you like the knife. I happen to carry mine by tying a small paracord loop through the sheath, and another one through that. Each loop's got about a 1" diameter, and then I thread my belt through it past my first belt loop. That way, it's sheathed upside down, and w/ a quick pull, I've got a knife! I usually thread it through so that when I grab for it, it comes out in reverse grip. Also, I can just slip the thing in my pocket, and all you can see is the sheath, which looks kinda like a keychain.

Back