Blade 2012

Murray, many thanks for posting this. I was hoping to come to Blade this year had it all booked on Xmas eve and two days before the flight my left leg started aching really bad went to the Docs who sent me straight to the hospital with suspected DVT, spent two days in there and was told under no circumstances to fly, never been so gutted in all my life really looking forward to going to the show. Maybe next year or Arkansas.

Just checking in to see if Murry is telling it all right.:D As usual, he's doing a fine job.

The show has been very nice with some great memories being made. I regret not getting to shake Big Rick's hand and meet him. Get well Rick.

There was 8 new Journeyman Bladesmiths and 2 Mastersmiths added to the list yesterday.

Anxious to see what this new day brings. Regards, Lin

Well Rick, I guess I don't have to turn my cell phone on after all. Get well soon my friend.

Thanks for the photos Murray. Great review.

Robert

I too had to cancel my reservations for this year, so a big thank you Murray for letting me see the show through your eyes.

First chance I've had to check in - GREAT job Murray.

Shortest show I've ever had, but I'm sure all will agree that some is better than none when it comes to this party.

Some awards to report:

Bowie - Jason Knight

Fighter - David Mirabile (sp?)

Hunter - Mike Williams (who also took best of the rest)

Fixed Blade - Kevin Cashen

Damascus - Dave Lisch

Handle Design - Ron Newton

At the airport in Atlanta -will post a few thoughts when I get home.

Roger

Murray, many thanks for posting this. I was hoping to come to Blade this year had it all booked on Xmas eve and two days before the flight my left leg started aching really bad went to the Docs who sent me straight to the hospital with suspected DVT, spent two days in there and was told under no circumstances to fly, never been so gutted in all my life really looking forward to going to the show. Maybe next year or Arkansas.

Sorry to hear that Rick. I looked for you at the CKCA Banquet and figured your plane must have just been late. Get well my freind and hope we will see you at a US show before too long.

Hello Murray.
There wasn't a chance I would get to the Blade Show. You sure have done a great job of sending some of it to me !!! Thanks !!! Frank

Thank you immensely Murray. I really wanted to make this show.... Your pics and narrative have started me yearning for next year!

Well the shiow is over for another year and after a nice daytime nap to catch up on some sleep it is time to continue with the next batch of images that have been edited before continuing the process over the next few days.

We begin with word by Brian/Brion as in Thie and Tomberlin.

Mr. Thie

orig.jpg

with a couple of nice Bowies and great leather for both

orig.jpg

Brion stands ready to answer questions of these prospective customers

orig.jpg

having created this extra long Kukuri and more traditional Western fighting knife

orig.jpg

and then to really top things off here is a super main gauche
orig.jpg

Butch and Shannon Devereaux had long offered knives in the traditional Ed Fowler style

orig.jpg

but today is showing a little departure from the genre with a handle of the Scagel influence of which he and others are finding an additional method of presenting their work

orig.jpg

Craig Camerer always has lots of variety to his work

orig.jpg

and as an owner of a few of his knives, I found the bottom one here very nice

orig.jpg

Dan Peterson offers some big ones and some smaller one but all have great value

orig.jpg

including these hunters and fighter/bowies

orig.jpg

topped of by this elegant fighter with filework and an added touch done with the handle

orig.jpg

Of course, as usual, it did not take long for knives from Don Hanson to find good homes

orig.jpg

considering these bowie/fighters were part of the fare

orig.jpg

and then there was this so special looking fighter

orig.jpg

Scott McInnis and Fred Durio hold court with a customer offering info about knives on the table

orig.jpg

Jerome Anders says he is making a comeback after being away for a couple of years

orig.jpg

and it shows with this display which I found really "kewl"

orig.jpg

as was this folding D guard Bowie

orig.jpg

Great to have seen Jerry Lairson at the CKCA banquet and at the Blade Show as a Bowie I obtained from him in 2008 is one of my favorite knives and this year he presented a couple of nice daggers.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

JN Fisher had some nice knives

orig.jpg

and this fighter was very tempting

orig.jpg

JR Cook, one of the CKCA "inspiration" award winners always has an interesting display and knives --- some of which might even be available when a collector stops by -- on his table

orig.jpg

a hunter and a couple of Bowies

orig.jpg

Fighters anyone? Tradition, subhilts and dagger -- all of which together or separately make a great display

orig.jpg

Son and grandson learn about "Cookie's" knives

orig.jpg

Mace Vitale wants show goers to learn about his knives through books and seeing the product

orig.jpg

as he can offer genre from two ends of the spectrum

orig.jpg

Good stuff Murray! I liked Brian Thie's clamshell bowie a whole bunch.

Roger

Thanks so much Murray for all your hard work. It sure is nice to see all these photos.

Lin Rhea had a big show which started at the CKCA mini knife show and the sale of the nice dagger shown here
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

along with his trademark style of subhilt fighter
then he also had some nice hunters and all have been very nicely presented on dark backgrounds
orig.jpg

and lastly this very tempting Bowie with the guard having been carved to get the small balls instead of soldering them on which is generally done

orig.jpg

Always innovative a dancing to the beat of his own drummer, Marty Meshejian has created on extraordinary sword

orig.jpg

Pete Crowl chats with master sheath maker and taxidermist Scott Teaschner

orig.jpg

and some of Pete's hunters

orig.jpg

Steve Culver also started off the weekend on an high note having sold his San Francisco Bradford Style Bowie a la Michael Price at the CKCA mini knife show.

orig.jpg

a nice mini fighter/bowie with finely carved handle

orig.jpg

followed by a couple if folders

orig.jpg

Back