Blade 2012

I always enjoy and appreciate your Blade Show review but this year is even more important to me as I couldn't make it. Thank you, Murray!!!

Murray, you have out done yourself.
Excellent photos, processing and posting.
An huge undertaking, not only done, but done well.

Thank you.

What a treat this is. So much stuff I missed that I get to enjoy now. Real sorry I didn't get to Lon Humphrey's table - some good looking pieces there.

Roger

Thanks foor the great thread Murray! I always enjoy these reviews, they keep the show fresh in my mind

Murray - Terrific job! These images capture each moment beautifully. I salute you. Your compositions, knack for catching good facial expressions and consistency from shot to shot are remarkable skills. You tamed the horrendous lighting in the room so that your knife shots 'deliver' - kudos for that! And again, the consistency of white balance and luminance throughout. You did it on the fly in noisy, hot, and poorly lit places.
Respect. :thumbup:

Murray, thanks so much for all your work. Looks like I missed a lot of really fine knives. Thank you for letting us all enjoy them and the show again.
Brion

Thank you Murray, You covered the blade show well . Table holders don't have a lot of extra time so it is nice to see work that we missed.
Gary

Murray It was great talking with you and Gary is right if you are there to sell knives you miss a lot of stuff so thank you for all the work you do to cover the show for the folks that could not make it and those that where there and could not see it all.

Thanks for the feedback from all who are enjoying the photos. Buddy, I thought I had found my ideal camera with the Pentax K5 and it is fabulous for outdoor work with the best dynamic range of anything I have tried over the past 12 years. However, with what I did here, I am disappointed with the 18-135 mm lens as it seems to be soft on the left side. Knife shows can be a pain to photograph and flash and digital always have issues, at least for me. Slow shutter speeds necessitate wide lens opening so lack of DOF just is another hazard that does not help a soft lens. Anyway let's continue with the show.

Well all are edited, I had another nap so am ready to get these last 60 photos up onto the sites. Glad you are all enjoying the story of Blade 2012.

Johan Gustafsson wrote to me advising that while he would not be at the show, some of his knives would be with Anders Hogstrom who I alway like to visit with.

orig.jpg

both had a couple knives still there when I was able to stop by

orig.jpg

I almost bought a JG folder a few years ago but had not actually held one until this show. Here are two of his efforts.

orig.jpg

Corrie Shoeman always has a nice selection of finely made folders to choose from

orig.jpg

note the variety of handle material and shapes to his work

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Dickie Robinson had some traditional hunters and a nice bowie on very nice display stands -- I need a few of those.

orig.jpg

nice stag handled Bowie -- so many temptations folks.

orig.jpg

Gary Martindale is a new maker learning from Thad Buchanan and his nicely done Chute knives made me tarry awhile

orig.jpg

the stag piece almost did it

orig.jpg

Everytime one looks at Curt Erickson's work, one can understand fellow forumite and CKCA member Bob Betzner's infatuation with not only Curt but Julie as well although I was not able to see Julie at this show.

orig.jpg

One of the masters of the dagger

orig.jpg

Price style including Ring dagger

orig.jpg

and a few more styles including hunter, chute knives, fighter and dagger just to whet the appetite

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Someone new to the world of knife collecting was enjoying the show and stopped to visit with Donald Vogt who always has unique items on his table.

orig.jpg

here is the knife being examined

orig.jpg

Donald is primarily known for his fabulous folders, one of which won best of show as I recall in a recent previous Blade show but this dagger shows his capabilities with an elegant fixed blade

orig.jpg

Gary Wheeler (yes, not Nick) creates a variety of styles and I keep seeing stands I would love to have for our displays

orig.jpg

a very ice Bowie and sheath

orig.jpg

Don Cowles is the master of the small and embellished knife and always has lots of interest in his work and a variety of knives to choose from

orig.jpg

and he does have nice helpers he brings along too

orig.jpg

here is a sample of his creativity

orig.jpg

Greg Gottschalk does nice knives in both the fixed blade tradition and also includes some wonderful folders in his offering

orig.jpg

dagger and fighters

orig.jpg

many folders

orig.jpg

Gerry McClure had a nice couple of Bowies and explained artifact fossil walrus to us

orig.jpg

this is rather nice for sure

orig.jpg

and something a bit different in style and pattern of the damascus and terrific sheath

orig.jpg

Jot Singh Khalsa with a couple of ladies that attened his morning yoga exercise classes

orig.jpg

MDK is representing Suchat Jangtanong of Thailand and has a "few" knives available

orig.jpg

This is one amazing lineup of linerlock folders with very nice embellishment

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Kansei has once more created one of his unique folding sub-hilt fighters

orig.jpg

it was also tempting

orig.jpg

It was nice to see one of the old time great knifemakers who has put his mark on the industry -- Paul Fox

orig.jpg

with a few knives

orig.jpg

Next year at Blade should be something special as Robert Kaufman and other now have the means to stretch beyond any current restraints although we wonder just how far Robert can go

orig.jpg

some of his smaller creations

orig.jpg

Murray, many thanks for posting this. I was hoping to come to Blade this year had it all booked on Xmas eve and two days before the flight my left leg started aching really bad went to the Docs who sent me straight to the hospital with suspected DVT, spent two days in there and was told under no circumstances to fly, never been so gutted in all my life really looking forward to going to the show. Maybe next year or Arkansas.

Yeah, get well soon , sorry you missed the show .

Rod Watts presented some nice knives

orig.jpg

a few different boot knives

orig.jpg

some colorful mammoth tooth handled knives

orig.jpg

Shaun Hansen once again has produced on of his famous gun/dagger's

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Tom Overeynder who also had success with sale of his knife at the CKCA mini show has a few available and they show why he is one of the best folder makers one can obtain a knife from

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Yuko Tozaki travels a long way to bring the creations she and her husband provide for collectors

orig.jpg

a group of their work

orig.jpg

and a wonderful piece by itself

orig.jpg

Men in Black Hats have to have a Woman close behind those in Black Hats so Delana keeps close tabs on Van Barnett and Shane Taylor

orig.jpg

because Van is alway dreaming up new things to share with other knifemakers

orig.jpg

Arpad Bojtos has been creating the top of the line art knives for many years and this time it is no different

orig.jpg

unsheathed followed by sheathed of his two offerings

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

As this show comes to an end, we want to pay tribute to all the collectors without whom no such show like Blade 2012 could exist. A couple who have collected for years and have shown their fine collection of miniatures all over the US is Tom and Gwen Guinn

orig.jpg

taking photos thru a glass cover etc is difficult but try to enjoy some of the collection and effort taken to build it over the years

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

A few years ago, Kevin Jones, Jerry Fisk, STeven Garrson and others began discussions toward the creation of the Custom Knife Collectors Association (CKCA) and Blade has been kind enough to provide a venue for promoting knife collecting as have other show sponsors like AG Russell.

This years dinner and mini knife show on the Thursday prior to the opening of Blade was a great success and the orgainization has members (collectors and makers) from all over the world and this year offered a knife draw for a lucky new member or previous member renewing his membership.

and this years winner is

Steve Janik

orig.jpg

Click on the logo in my signature to get directly to the CKCA and join today.

Thanks to all those that have taken the time to view this long and photo intensive coverage of Blade 2012. We have now come to the end of another Blade show. Next years will be here all too soon but not soon enough.

all these knives are produced for various branches of the military and security forces in Brazil

orig.jpg

thanks Murray...i like these..did you say they are semi-production? in his video he says he makes each knife one by one...

surprised you did not pick one up for me lol

RL

Back