Bladeforums - Best Bowie 2007

dbrock76 sure figured out the right way to not sell any knives to the folks around here. I suppose that's okay though, he wouldn't want to sell to collectors anyway.

dbrock76 sure figured out the right way to not sell any knives to the folks around here. I suppose that's okay though, he wouldn't want to sell to collectors anyway.

I was a day or two away from contacting d. brock about a historical repro for a good friend who loves to do reenactments. after his behavior in this thread, sadly i'll look elsewhere. i say "sadly" because he has made exactly what i was looking for.

I was a day or two away from contacting d. brock about a historical repro for a good friend who loves to do reenactments. after his behavior in this thread, sadly i'll look elsewhere. i say "sadly" because he has made exactly what i was looking for.

Try Mike Mann...he is very good at primitives, and doesn't talk bad about knife collectors:

http://idahoknifeworks.com

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

wrong thread...my bad.

Something change your nerve. You had the right thread...

Quote (Originally by Culpeper)---
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

Maybe you can convince Mr. Wheeler its over.
---End Quote---

What you deleted:
Since you're quoting Proverbs....he is another one for you.

Wise men store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin (Proverbs 10:14)

-----------------

So, allow me to retort:

Practice what you preach and don't lose your nerve. We are always a day or two away from do something.

---End Quote---

What you deleted:

Wise men store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin (Proverbs 10:14)

-----------------

So, allow me to retort:

Practice what you preach and don't lose your nerve. We are always a day or two away from do something.

:rolleyes::confused::D

Culpeper, you are defending a man that blew in here and insulted a large group of custom knife buyers and makers. I know a lot of these guys personally and they are very good folks.

This thread will be read by many for years to come.

Great PR work on Brock's part :rolleyes:

I don't know if mini Bowies are elgible for this contest but I thought you guys might want to see them anyway. Fred makes these to exact scale, even the pins and engraving are scale. These are truly magnificent examples of Fred's attention to detail. If they did not have something to compare for size you could not tell they were minitures. I know one of them was made in 2007 not sure about the other. I believe they were made for the AKI.
Elvan Allred

Attachments

• FC mini_bowie 1.jpg
    FC mini_bowie 1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 48
  • FC mini-bowie 2.jpg
    FC mini-bowie 2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 59
I don't know if mini Bowies are elgible for this contest but I thought you guys might want to see them anyway. Fred makes these to exact scale, even the pins and engraving are scale. These are truly magnificent examples of Fred's attention to detail. If they did not have something to compare for size you could not tell they were minitures. I know one of them was made in 2007 not sure about the other. I believe they were made for the AKI.
Elvan Allred

Holy Smokes, those are awesome!

---End Quote---

What you deleted:

-----------------

So, allow me to retort:

I didn't loose my nerve but was simply respecting the rules of the forum. My post could have been viewed as hostile. My post could have been interpreted as "name calling." I appreciate you posting it for me. Thank you.

I ordinarily do not care for mini-bowies; it's just my personal preference. Nevertheless, I will say that those two are nothing short of spectacular!

Those mini-bowies respect the proportions so well, you almost couldn't tell their size from a pic without a reference object. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Small bowie big bowie let's get back to the business of loveing and making fine knives those are fine knives.

Culpeper, you are defending a man that blew in here and insulted a large group of custom knife buyers and makers. I know a lot of these guys personally and they are very good folks.

This thread will be read by many for years to come.

Great PR work on Brock's part :rolleyes:
Isn't that the truth? I can't even pretend to play in the league of serious collectors like the big boys here, but I love to admire the craftsmanship. While I might dream of owning a damascus bowie/fighter/something from Don (or any of the other superstars in this thread), my budget is more along the lines of a basic carbon steel utility from a lesser-known smith. I had never even heard of this DBrock character until he came in here. The only thing he did was guarantee that he will never see a penny from me.

Rick

These are truly magnificent examples of Fred's attention to detail.
Elvan Allred

Elvan, those blades are indeed awesome. Now, could you please tell me where Fred found those huge ass 3" diameter pennies that were included in the picture. ;)

I like your style Morrowj 98. Yes, Proverbs is the placed to go for uncommon wisdom.

My modern transliteration of Proverbs 29:9 is this:
"Arguing with a fool is like pissing into a williwaw." (You Alaskans know, LOL)

And for those of you inclined to "duel with a fool" then Proverbs 20:3 is for you:
"It is an honor for a man to stay out of a fight. Only fools insist on quarreling."

The antidote to a verbose fool . . . is utter silence. They will soon take their folly to the raucous, blustering habitats favored by other fools, for fools love the company of fools.

Have a good day
Ken

Now I am glad I jumped in.
First off... it's daytime now. Beerballs indeed. Fuck you.
You people are like a bunch of middle-school girls. You're all so knowledgeable about knives but all you do is buy them and look at them - and jerk off over them. Don't want to forget the "metal masturbation" aspect.
Even "Joss" (what a name - and avatar!) admitted to this. You spend hundreds of dollars on "utilitarian" items that will never be used. That's just stupid, but we all do dumb things. "Collect" whatever you want, Hummel figurines. I don't care. Just don't expect me to validate your silly attempts to gain some authenticity in your pathetic lives by mere purchases.
Regarding my "crudeness" and that of my knives, I don't recall directly insulting any of you pussies other than to say you ought to get your priorities straight. However I get dragged over the coals and the quality of my work and character is impugned - just because I didn't react with the requisite, giant hard-on over these pimped out wastes of time and material.
In aid of that I'll close with this statement - in small words so "knife connoisseurs" can understand:
You don't make knives. You just buy them - and "appreciate" them, whatever the hell that means.
And regarding the pictured Tai Goo knife. How is that not crude? Don't give me some phony art-school horseshit about subtlety or understatement. Just tell me - How does this knife - forged from leaf spring I'd bet, I lot of his are - with the forged socket handle wrapped in cord, rattan, whatever - fit with your worldview of "knives elevated to fine art". No they're not. They're craft. I've tremendous respect for the "craftsmanship" of all the knives pictured. I just think it's lots of effort and talent going to waste. I was never out to insult the products of my fellow makers, just you idiots, their fan club.

Exactly where do you draw the line between art and craft?

I like your style Morrowj 98. Yes, Proverbs is the placed to go for uncommon wisdom.

My modern transliteration of Proverbs 29:9 is this:
"Arguing with a fool is like pissing into a williwaw." (You Alaskans know, LOL)

And for those of you inclined to "duel with a fool" then Proverbs 20:3 is for you:
"It is an honor for a man to stay out of a fight. Only fools insist on quarreling."

The antidote to a verbose fool . . . is utter silence. They will soon take their folly to the raucous, blustering habitats favored by other fools, for fools love the company of fools.

Have a good day
Ken

I prefer the overall translation..."Don't piss on my shoes and tell me its raining".;)

Not only is it crude, it's also RUDE,... and would cleave your tiny, yet thick and empty skull,... with one whack!

You sound like one of those guys that likes girly knives all slick and shiny,... like a real pussy!
I bet your hand shake leaves a reek of cheap cologne that won't wash off!

The bush knives are about balance, geometry, form, flow, feel and function.

I don't care if you call it art or not. Some folks see it as art, and that's O.K...
Call it what you want. It is what it is!

I think stock reduction knives are rudimentary, and lack the sophistication of forged blades. However,... they do have their place.

Exactly where do you draw the line between art and craft?

... and no, it's not from a leaf spring. It's from plow steel! :D

He can't read the thread. Send him an email.

Back