Blades For Animal Defense?

When our Shepard was a pup, the Edison tree-trimming crew bombarded her with chunks of tree, breaking three ribs. After that, she was hostile towards strange men.

We posted the back yard with monster signs saying to keep out/vicious dog, but the meter reader had a cattle prod and ignored the signs. When we got home, she had him cornered and whimpering. She had taken the cattle prod away from him two hours previously. Poor dear had wet himself. He threatened to sue. We threatened to sue. Edison decided to make it go away. The tooth marks on the cattle prod were impressive.

Draw your own conclusions.

Chicken dinner to the poster who said a 230 grain HST is the solution. Stock up on it if you can find it. The neighbors( lives a half mile away) pit/hound mix was nose down straight tailed going after my 10 year old . Son was doing what he does. he had built a small tree fort on a creek 40 yards inside of our property . The neighbor was doing what she does, walking a dangerous breed dog off-leash and without control. I was doing what I do, making sure my son is not scarred for life during a 2 second encounter with a 130 lb untrained rural beast. The 230 grain Federal HST to the boiler room was an instant stop. I politely and calmy asked the owner twice "please control your dog I have small children". she had no control. the shot was tough as those things are incredibly fast. the dog lived for about 8 hours. Vet could not save it. Amazing how tough those type of animals are. The Sherriff sorted it out. Luckily other folks had complained about their dogs before chasing and biting horses and cattle. No law violations as it is an unincorporated area.

at least your local insane dogs are chained. I could live with that.
I have a few properly insane guard dogs that are chained outside farmhouses I pass along one or the other of the roads I run along.

Running is severly inpeded by a 6 foot pole or other long range poke thing.

In so I have elected to carry any and all folders that can be opened onehanded. I have no great expectations of winning a dog fight, still I rather not loose the fight without an effort. Chris

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

10% pepper spray made to turn attacking bears, has never failed me on a viscous dog of any breed. Last time I used it was on a German Shepherd that was behind my bike, with his mouth open chomping away. A blast right in his mouth had him gone quicker than he'd came. Rode by the house again and he was laying on the front porch. As soon as he saw me he got up and headed around back.

When our Shepard was a pup, the Edison tree-trimming crew bombarded her with chunks of tree, breaking three ribs. After that, she was hostile towards strange men.

We posted the back yard with monster signs saying to keep out/vicious dog, but the meter reader had a cattle prod and ignored the signs. When we got home, she had him cornered and whimpering. She had taken the cattle prod away from him two hours previously. Poor dear had wet himself. He threatened to sue. We threatened to sue. Edison decided to make it go away. The tooth marks on the cattle prod were impressive.

Draw your own conclusions.

I come to the conclusion the meter reader was NOT, I repeat NOT, wearing the required overalls. And perhaps was a bit of a Pansy. Perhaps you could draw a conclusion from asking 9 out of ten people what you do once you next after you have an aggressive dogs mouth firmly latched onto a stick like object in your hands? I'll give you a hint it involves your foot. You can't fix Pansy with a "bigger blade".

[video=youtube;azUATs1OK40]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azUATs1OK40[/video]

Oh yeah for sure facing down a determined dog is a cakewalk.

A shotgun and a mix of .00 and slugs is the best you can get if you're out in the brush.
I'd use a spear for camp defense, but that's pretty much it. Versus something hairy and angry, you want to put as much distance as possible.
I don't wan't to ever be in the situation of using a blade vs an animal, as they are mostly too fast for human and don't care very much of their wounds.
A few years ago I went checking some bear traps with my ex BIL and I saw how fast a bear can swing their long clawy arm, and that was an eye opener.
Don't try to fight even a small bear with your ubertacticool knife, you will lose.

More recently, me and the dogs got stalked by 2 coyote/wolf breed and I charged them with my big bad Condor parang machete. Guess what, they did not care about it and kept walking towards me growling. I was seriously annoyed and frustrated!
ATV and shottie were not very far, fortunately.

My little life experience just tell me that blade vs animal is not a desirable combo at all.

A shotgun and a mix of .00 and slugs is the best you can get if you're out in the brush.
I'd use a spear for camp defense, but that's pretty much it. Versus something hairy and angry, you want to put as much distance as possible.
I don't wan't to ever be in the situation of using a blade vs an animal, as they are mostly too fast for human and don't care very much of their wounds.
A few years ago I went checking some bear traps with my ex BIL and I saw how fast a bear can swing their long clawy arm, and that was an eye opener.
Don't try to fight even a small bear with your ubertacticool knife, you will lose.

More recently, me and the dogs got stalked by 2 coyote/wolf breed and I charged them with my big bad Condor parang machete. Guess what, they did not care about it and kept walking towards me growling. I was seriously annoyed and frustrated!
ATV and shottie were not very far, fortunately.

My little life experience just tell me that blade vs animal is not a desirable combo at all.

Wait! You had two feet. Why didn't you kick 'em both when each grabbed an arm to play "Make a wish"?

Faced? Yes. paperboy. Postal Carrier temp. Jogger. Biking. One dog jumped a (tiny) five-foot fence around HIS front yard to confront me on the sidewalk. He was Newfie named "Bear," as it turned out..

Bit? Once while biking by psychotic Boxer - despite shortened BB bat (missed every time).

But nice to hear from the official rep of 90& of the population.

Always bring a "friend" when venturing into the wild.

Two guys walking in the woods.

First guy says "What do we do if a bear attacks?"

Second guy says "Run"

First guy says "You can't outrun a bear"

Second guy says "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you"

Gotta love the classics :D

Faced? Yes. paperboy. Postal Carrier temp. Jogger. Biking. One dog jumped a (tiny) five-foot fence around HIS front yard to confront me on the sidewalk. He was Newfie named "Bear," as it turned out..

Bit? Once while biking by psychotic Boxer - despite shortened BB bat (missed every time).

But nice to hear from the official rep of 90& of the population.

Then how, pray tell did you manage to escape without urinating and being cornered for hours until someone came to your rescue?
You picking it up yet?

Then how, pray tell did you manage to escape without urinating and being cornered for hours until someone came to your rescue?
You picking it up yet?
Calm down and get back on track, fer crying out loud. Mr. Linton is a respected member here. Its an innocent thread, which will soon be moved to PracTac, where this tone wont be tolerated by MODS...not that it will here for long.

As for the subject at hand - having professionally been in the business of training working dogs for the gubmint, I LOL at suggestions like 'offering an arm for the dog to bite gives you an excellent chance to cut its throat.' Only someone obviously NOT having been exposed to an all-out attack by a determined dog would suggest something like that.

I myself suggested a boar spear to fend off dogs etc. Even that will take some effort to get right, if we are talking about a determined dog/wolf let alone multiple attacking dogs or what have you.

Of course a firearm would be optimal and even that will be taking a chance against multiple attacking dogs/wolves - especially in the hands of most untrained.

A bladed weapon was primarily what was asked for in the OP.

You'll be attacked by a human animal first, if ever, by a wild animal.
rolf

"Are you sure you want to add Thefinaledge to your ignore list?"

Got it.
That's what I thought. You scoff at the suggestions of others with a fanciful tale of doggy retribution involving your meter maid. Tearful and wetting himself. Then asked if you had first hand experience you claim yes, then refuse to explain how you yourself dealt with the situation. And the outcome. Probably because it will contradict what you seem to be saying.
I myself have been bit several times. Usual breaking up dogfights. (Rescue hounds) You get in the middle you get bit.
I have been attacked(chased) as a child on a bike. Peddled as fast as possible. I have been attacked as an adult. Swung my pack, dog bit it, kicked it as hard as possible. It ran away. Yelping I might add. I was bit while camping, I wasnt even looking, a friend with a heavy stick handled that one.
Knife recommendedation? Sure. Anything long enough to reach the vitals.
I stand by my declaration, your meter maid is a pansy. Or you severely embellished the story. Or it didn't happen.
I have a friend who was attacked as a kid. The dog ran off when the father came running and screaming. Lol, super secret highly trained Uber attack Kevlar kick proof shock resistant dogs everywhere.!

Last edited:
Cold Steel Swiss Halburn? CVold steel used to sell them. It could double as a walking stick. You would get a great upper body workout carrying it while walking. You can conk with it , or stab with it.

To avoid another knife arrest (display of defence against belligerent pitbull, owner whining on cellphone to cops), I now carry old, all-steel secateurs/hand pruners (not the modern half plastic crap) in a pouch people mistake for a cellphone.
I was walking my Jack Russell past the house of a roaming sharpei. It attacked my dog once, I kicked it in the ribs, it backed off slightly.
It attacked again, I stabbed it in the back with pruners, unfortunately only hitting fat not kidney or spine, it backed off completely.
The next day I went past the gate was closed & the sharpei was either inside or chained in the backyard for its own protection.
Next time I aim for the kidneys/spine.

Back