Blades upon Books - Traditionals

Started reading the 4th book in Michael Connelly's series of Harry Bosch novels.
aHlGOE1.jpg
Those are excellent. Connelly is one of my favorite authors.
I like Connelly, too, both the Harry Bosch series (I think I've read all of them at least once) and the "Lincoln Lawyer" series. Connelly's protagonists are certainly not perfect, which is sort of comforting, but I always think Bosch makes some really bad personal decisions that even I realize probably aren't going to work out for him. I enjoy the books, but sometimes I'm "half-depressed" by the time I get to the end of a book.

This is the Connelly novel I've read most recently, several months ago. I think it's the third novel featuring Jack McEvoy, who started out as an investigative reporter for a newspaper years ago, but, reflecting the reality of that profession, in this latest novel he's an investigative reporter for a web site. He stumbles onto some data while investigating a death that leads him to believe there's a serial killer operating behind the scenes of apparent accidents. Another imperfect protagonist who often rubs me the wrong way, but they say it takes all kinds! ;) 🤓
connelly.fairwarning.jpg

- GT

Despite the title, Reacher DID go back to the headquarters of the 110th MP unit he used to command so that he could meet in person the woman currently commanding the unit, with whom he had only spoken by phone. But when he arrives, she's under arrest, he somehow gets re-inducted into the Army so he can be courtmartialed, and does he have a daughter he didn't know about from some fling while posted overseas years ago?
child.nevergoback.jpg

US Marshall Davenport is closing in on a NOLA mob hit man who turns out to be a cannibal, too. But the cannibal gets away and joins a home invasion team in Vegas. Then things really start going wrong!
sandford.neonprey.jpg

- GT

I'm giving my "Jack Reacher" reading frenzy a break, and reading this.
GeY2Ool.jpg

Found this passage. I wish it was me peeling that apple in Rome, on a warm day!

"Passing the turtle fountain in the Jewish quarter, in murderous sunlight, I watch a man sitting on its railing undress an apple with a penknife, turning the apple like a table leg in a router, the skin curling off in a single, green spiral. When he is done, he sets the coil of skin on the stair beside him, reaches back, and washes his blade in the water."

I'm sure it's colder where the Mammoth ivory on this City Knife was found, but that doesn't make me feel any warmer today!
The fire helps though!
kTwo6UY.jpg

I'm giving my "Jack Reacher" reading frenzy a break, and reading this.
GeY2Ool.jpg

Found this passage. I wish it was me peeling that apple in Rome, on a warm day!

"Passing the turtle fountain in the Jewish quarter, in murderous sunlight, I watch a man sitting on its railing undress an apple with a penknife, turning the apple like a table leg in a router, the skin curling off in a single, green spiral. When he is done, he sets the coil of skin on the stair beside him, reaches back, and washes his blade in the water."
I'm not sure what thread that first quote is from, but I was going to say it looks like you have a warm stove.
Re the second quote, [crotchety woodworking quibble withdrawn]

I'm not sure what thread that first quote is from, but I was going to say it looks like you have a warm stove.
Re the second quote, "a table leg in a router"?
The first quote wasn't a quote, except I guess it might be my quote now.... Yes the stove warms things up nicely!
I'm guessing that Mr. Doerr was never a woodworker or machinist, or that would be a lathe, I'm thinking.

Two more books I most recently read last summer.

This Jack Reacher novel is one of my favorites. It's a flashback to when Reacher was still in the Army, and he gets assigned to a secret mission involving FBI, CIA, Army Intelligence, and National Security Council bigwigs trying to figure out how to stop an unknown terrorist buy of something from an American soldier in Europe. Intricate, but very interesting, plot.
child.nightschool.jpg

This Lucas Davenport novel has extensive flashbacks to when he was a young cop working on the disappearance of 2 young girls, whose bodies have finally been discovered many years later in the "present". Some definite "continuity" glitches regarding a fairly major recurring character in the series. Not a great novel, but good recreational reading.
sandford.buriedprey.jpg

- GT

Two more books I most recently read last summer.

This Jack Reacher novel is one of my favorites. It's a flashback to when Reacher was still in the Army, and he gets assigned to a secret mission involving FBI, CIA, Army Intelligence, and National Security Council bigwigs trying to figure out how to stop an unknown terrorist buy of something from an American soldier in Europe. Intricate, but very interesting, plot.
View attachment 1720498

This Lucas Davenport novel has extensive flashbacks to when he was a young cop working on the disappearance of 2 young girls, whose bodies have finally been discovered many years later in the "present". Some definite "continuity" glitches regarding a fairly major recurring character in the series. Not a great novel, but good recreational reading.
View attachment 1720499

- GT
Night School was a good one! I always have a slippy close by to fiddle with when I'm reading!

Back