Blind horse machete

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Shotgun, May 6, 2011.

1. HornyToad

HornyToad

May 2, 2008
    I have two Blind Horse knives but will pass on the machete. I have a couple of Fiddleback's and really prefer his shape handle. How many machetes can you own? ahh don't answer that.

2. spyken

spyken Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 29, 2002
    don't like the handle. the standard machete/parang handle works for me ;), like the blade tho :D

3. Arakiel

Arakiel

Jun 14, 2010
    I followed the link to the BHK machete page and watched the videos. The one further down is HILARIOUS! I actually laughed until I cried at the fun absurdity of it! It's like an Indiana Jones trailer gone bad!
    Just for that, I'm going to order one. I love a company that enjoys what they do, so I'm fully willing to support them by purchasing thier offerings.
    All that, and the "machete" looks good too. I hesitate to call it a machete, because it simply isn't long enough. It's more of a large, thin belt knife to me. Cool sheath, too.
    Other knives I'm currently buying are an Ontario SP50 and the Fiddleback machetes.

4. LostSoul

LostSoul

Oct 10, 2009
    You'd be surprised what will work its way into the bottom of a leather machete sheath. I have used one almost daily for 11 years now as a Land Surveyor and while I do like you suggest (knock off the big chunks), there is always something that will end up in the sheath. A lot of it will come from tall grass, weeds, or wood that drops down into it while walking or chopping line. Over time you will have a substantial build up in the bottom of a leather sheath from use, although for the average joe like guys here on BF, I doubt it would ever come to "needing" a sheath that will allow things to pass through it.

5. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Sent an email asking where they're getting their blanks. We'll see if I get a response.

6. EMT_Lee

EMT_Lee

Feb 6, 2009
    Considering it's 1075, I'd say it's a safe bet that these are Imacasa.

7. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Agreed.

8. urbncby

urbncby

Dec 20, 2008
    thinking the blade may be an ONTARIO product

If it WAS an Ontario, I'd quit! No way. We like Jeff and Mike too much to insult them by using the company that burned them. It's an Imacasa.

9. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Confirmation from Alicia, definitely Imacasa. Also, got an email saying it may take 30 days to get it. Now the wait.

10. Mike Slayer

Mike Slayer

Oct 22, 2010
    Yeah I got the same email saying the hope to have it done with in 30 days as well. I am really liking the looks of this machete.

11. goosefacer

goosefacer

Mar 18, 2010
    mine shipped out today :)

12. whetrock

whetrock

Nov 13, 2010
    I'm realy liking this one this one it seems like a practical blade profile with an excellent looking handle I'm sure it's worth 110 bucks but for me that's a bit steep for a machete so I'll guess I'm going to pass on this one not because of the quality or design(which are excellent) but because I'm a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to machetes.

13. gunknifenut

gunknifenut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 9, 2006
    I feel the same way, BUT..I just traded into a fiddleback machete..and man OH man! Its pretty cool. It also inspired me to give my 12" Ontario a spa...which happened today. I added edge all the way to the handle slabs, and convexed the entire blade. Stripped off the coating, and now I think I will add Bamboo slabs next week. With tube rivets. That will be cool.
    Anyways...I think I need one of the BHK's machete's...
    I plan on giving the Ontario (fully customized!) and the Fiddleback a head to head throw down! Now if I had the BHK's and could go with 3...that would be a great review. GKN

14. H2H907

H2H907

Dec 30, 2007
    Ordered their "May special", got an email saying they hope to have it to me within 30 days...

Yes, they're Imacasa. Didn't tell me if they were made in El Salvador or Pakistan (I read somewhere that Imacasa's been outsourcing to Pakistan. If I knew they were from there I wouldn't have ordered one).

15. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Where'd you hear that??? I can't imagine that being true--Imacasa pumps out HUGE volume per day, right in El Salvador, so they'd have no need to outsource anything.

16. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Not to mention I can't imagine Pakistani labor being that much cheaper.

17. brassbent

brassbent

Oct 9, 2009

Sorry to be out of the loop but what happened with Ontario?

18. H2H907

H2H907

Dec 30, 2007
    I read it either in a thread here or at machete source. Didn't make sense to me either, but the person posting seemed to know what he was talking about.

EDIT: Y'all know more about it than I do, I'm sure I'll be happy with what I get. Not tryna stir the pot here.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  19. brassbent

brassbent

Oct 9, 2009
    Eek, nevermind.
    I just googled it and read an eyeful of drama.
    Apologies for bringing it up.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  20. heron163

heron163

Jan 26, 2009
    I got mine yesterday and chopped S%#t all night! Made short work of pine saplings up to 3" diameter.

delivered very sharp!