BM pinnacle = junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut Up, you are right on the mark.

I always looked at the Sebenza as a plain looking, high priced knife.
But testimonial after testimonial on the forums convinced me to take a closer look.
I have some of the fixed blade CR's, but I have never seen a Sebenza in person.
By spending time doing a little reading, watching these forums, and Most of all seeing how Anne and Chris stand by their knifes. I now have 8 sebenza's on order.
I never would have taken that step if I hadn't seen the passion of the people that own,deal with, and are Chris Reeve and his products........C
Archieblue, you are at the right place.
Your's is a quality point of veiw.
The Quality is in the product, the product is CR.

I have never even held a Benchmade so I will stay out of that argument, but I will second Cut-Up's comments about the forum. This is better than any advertising. I bought my small Sebenza because I trusted the opinions of the people on this forum more than any knife reviewer in a magazine, and the knife turned out to be all they described. Good investment Chris.

Rick

I must once again borrow the slogan off of one of my Harley shirts. "If I had to explain .. you probably wouldn't understand."

I would like to maks some points if thats ok.

1. My 750 is good, but the Ti bar is a little tight and the ball indent holds the blade very tightly closed. Needs breaking in.
2. The Sebi is a better knife in EVERY way.
3. For daily use I prefer the 750 as the Sebi is SO expensive I cannot pluck up the guts to use mine.
4. BM as a company blow, they blow more than the wind at the North pole. They don't just ignore customers, they insult them by having terrible QC.
5. Chris Reeve Knives have amazing quality control and service. If I were to own just two knives it would be my Sebi followed by my Forum Military
wink.gif

6. I dislike BM
7. I really dislike BM
8. It is a pity they make some good knives
wink.gif

9. Can I get to 10?
10. Yes I can
biggrin.gif

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Once again I have come to the CRK Forum to discuss and read about Chris' knives and I get a lecture on why the BM750 sucks. Amazing. Poor show on your part archie.

I'm with Lifter on this one. Go to BMF or the Knife Review Forum, or even the General Forum to dicuss this. This is not the Forum to discuss this in. It is in poor taste and disrespectful to Chris, Anne, the hard working people at the shop, and every CRK Fan here.

------------------
Ken
-------------------------
firedept_md_wht.gif
"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
----Abraham Lincoln

Cut Up,
Yes, I would agree the Reeve's are very smart business people and also very nice people who produce fine knives. Not just them, but everyone who has a forum at BF(the manufacturers,dealers,etc.) pays for it. I agree, they are a great investment.
Archieblue, it's commendable that you want to save us from the Pinnacle, but I still say that this is the wrong site to do it. Essentially what you are giving us is your review of your experience with this knife, that is what the knife review forum is for. I agree with you that there is similarity in looks between the 2 knives, but I doubt Chris's business has suffered any because of it. I am in agreement with you about the knife, just didn't think this was the right place for it. This forum is to discuss Chris Reeve Knives, not similar looking ones.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by archieblue:</font>
The Pinnacle *seems* to be a similar knife to the sebenza.
There are similties. Wouldn't U agree?

The one I tried was junk.
And how or why does tat mean all BM's are junk? If you do seach in this forum, you'll find people having trobules with CRK products, including Sebenzas, yes, the numbers are much lower, but for the price I would expect them to be much lower, and CRK cutomer service is much better, no one questions that, again the price. Not that the price is everything, but more or less it has certain influence.

Have you *ever* tried out a bad sebby? No!
I personally didn't, but most likely someone did, so what? Even if I get somehow across a defective Sebenza, I should come by here & start screaming that all CRK knives are junk?

lifter4him.. I'm here to SAVE the people!
From themselves I guess
smile.gif
In general you can post reviews in the appropriate section, everyone will be grateful.

I don't want to discuss Benchmades in general!
Somehow I've noticed that, instead you prefer to say - All BM's are junk. How brilliant
smile.gif

I'm not gonna go to the BM forum
smile.gif
Hmm, strange, if you want to save folks, why don't U go over there, a lot more souls to save over there than on the CRK forum? Would you agree?

If I were to go to the BM forum and try to shed light on the sebenzas' quality
Gimme a break please
smile.gif
If you go there and check there are tonns of messages saying ecxactly the same and no one has been banned so far for that. I'm ont saying BM are all angels over there, and I criticze BMST quite often, but to keep tihngs fair, I've neer seen any hostile actions.

I would get flooded by a hundred people who can't appreciate what the Seby is.
U'll be surprised how many Sebenza overs are over there... As well as Microtech guys.

I'm talking about what I've seen and tried.
So am I. I've had good BMs, doe sthat make all of the BM knives good? No, it doesn't. Eeryone knows BM ha sparticular QC problems, but to say BMs are crap as U did, is totaly unfair. Once again, you get what you pay for. 350$ and 100$, makes significant difference IMHO.

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

[This message has been edited by Gator97 (edited 04-11-2001).]

You know, I'm fairly new to this forum and my opinion probably means squat to most of you, but I think some of you are being a little harsh on archieblue. The guy is also new to the forum and he was stating his opinion about a knife...big deal. It's no reason to get your panties in a wad. He didn't use any racial slurs or unnecessary cursing. Nor did he attack any one person. He just stated his opiion and I'm sure some of you are making him feel unwelcome. Just my $.02. Now you can attack me for stating my opinion.

Gator97. IMO you could not be more wrong. The fact is:

You DON'T get what you DON'T pay for! As a taxpayer, let me NOT be the first to say it is more often that in this day and age (where the rich get richer) you DO NOT get what you PAY for.

If you happen to get a lemonBM (lets be nice and say there is a 25% chance) and you send it back, chances are it's not gonna be much better when it gets back. It got in your hand under a certain spec. (of sorts) and when it returns, I can't imagine it being much farther from the origional spec condition. With BM, you're supposed to get the "standard" in the folding knife industry. It's just NOT true. Gator97, are you READING what I'm saying? Please... go back and read my posts over (from the start of the topic) and PAY ATTENTION! I am saying:

THERE IS NO WAY ANYBODY SHOULD THINK THAT THE BENCHMADE PINNACLE (because it looks, acts and is made of similar materials as the Sebenza) IS COMPARABLE QUALITY WISE TO THE SEBENZA! I also mentioned that there are MANY $100 alternatives shich are WAY better than the Pinnacle. Some resemble the Sebenza, however most do not.

I HAVE tried more than one, most of which I immediately and nauseously put back. I only *thououghly* examined ONE. It WAS junk.

Gator97 you obviously hold yourself in high regard. Everyone likes to feel important. Everyone likes to feel intelligent. Yet somehow I think you are not allowing yourself to fully absorb what I am saying. You are being rude and rudeness is not intelligent. I could verbally destroy you, but I WILL NOT be rude. It seems that you understand only what you want to get out of my posts, not what I mean. By the way, this is constructive criticism. Posts like yours make me and others get off topic. What we have in your post is you peeling apart bits of what I say, disregarding the entire content and meaning, and you arguing about it (or it would seem). Your sarcasm and rudeness are not appreciated.
confused.gif

------------------
peace love arch

I respectfully withdraw my previous post.....Just kidding. In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?".

In my usual fashion, I have let this discussion run its course rather than interject. However, I think it is time now to ask you all to curtail your comments. Chris and I are the first people to advocate the right to have and speak your opinions, but there is a very fine line between opinion and bad-mouthing. There is no place for bad-mouthing or personal attacks on our forum. As I have said on previous occasions, this is a place to discuss knives and, where applicable, some philosophy about knives. I hope you will all look to your own posts and “think twice – post once”!!

There are two minor issues raised in this thread that I want to address:

1. We do not pay to participate in this forum. The only cost is in time – a cost that is outweighed by the benefits gained in many friends and much insight!
2. I think (I hope) that the references made to Sebenzas as “gray turds” is intended to be affectionate. However, I would prefer not to see the term used – I don’t feel it is appropriate.

Anne

Does it strike any one else as funny to see the words gray turd in quotation marks? May be it's just me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by archieblue:</font>
First of all I appologize if I was rude, though not exactly sure which part of my message was rude.

You DON'T get what you DON'T pay for! As a taxpayer...
Well, I think it's how you feel about your purchase. And I pay my taxes too
smile.gif

THERE IS NO WAY ANYBODY SHOULD THINK THAT THE BENCHMADE PINNACLE (because it looks, acts and is made of similar materials as the Sebenza) IS COMPARABLE QUALITY WISE TO THE SEBENZA!
Did anyone argue about that? If it was the same probably the price would've been comparable too.

I also mentioned that there are MANY $100 alternatives shich are WAY better than the Pinnacle.
Yes, so what? I do not own pinnacle either. I own other folders, as I like them more.
Does that make Pinnacle, Sebenza or anythine else any worse? Obviously not.

What we have in your post is you peeling apart bits of what I say, disregarding the entire content and meaning, and you arguing about it (or it would seem). Your sarcasm and rudeness are not
Matter of fact I was not disregarding anything, and I quoted you exactly for that reason.
I tried to convince you that if you go to BM forum, no one is gonna bite you because you prefer Sebenza over any BM, there are many Sebenziasts over there.
Also I've pointed out that One bad Pinnacle that you were disapointed doesn't make all BM knives junk.

As of verbal destruction, well, I'm not interested in verbal sparring either, and definitely I'm not going to continue this argument, because less likely it'll change anything.

Your sarcasm and rudeness are not appreciated
Like I already said, didn't mean to be rude. BTW apparently your first post, where you gracefuly labeled all BMs as "crap" should be highly appreciated?

P.S. Sorry to CRK for this irrelevant bandwidth.

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

[This message has been edited by Gator97 (edited 04-13-2001).]

Hi Anne,
I was the one who mistakenly said that you pay to have this forum here. Sorry. I know that dealers like Les Robertson pay for a forum here so I thought the manufacturers did also.I was wrong.
Archieblue, I see you're just ignoring this issue. You are entitled to your opinion of BM pinnacle or any knife but why are you discussing another company's product on the Reeve forum? That's what the knife review forum is for.

I am new to this forum and I think this is my first post. I hope to try a Sebenza before long, I have heard nothing but good about them.

I can only agree w/ OwenM about the comments of 'archieblewit'. Owen seemed to sum it up pretty good and to the point. Alligator was more diplomatic and I like w/ he said also. But OwenM's 'short and sweet and to the point' style is more to my liking. Must be an ALABAMA thing......(left myself wide open there..........fire away.)

Hope this does not make a 'bad' first impression.
Sincerely,

------------------
teacher
..........OLD FORUM PROVERB.................
'He who gets banned from forum usually only tell one side of story'.......

[This message has been edited by teacher (edited 04-13-2001).]

I looked at a Pinnacle side-by-side with a Sebenza -- ended up buying a Sebenza - there was really no comparison. The Sebenza's elegantly simple design requires great precision in manufacturing and finishing, and Benchmade just can't pull this off at the price point they're selling the Pinnacle.

But I do own other Benchmade knives, which I think are excellent in thier own right:
Small folding ACFK in M2. (until I can afford a samll Sebbie ...)
Nimravus in M2.
Enjoy em all for what they are!

I have both and love them both but I feel this is like saying how much better caviar is compared to tuna.

When I go into a gun shop I don't care to look at the Remington 700 Sendero that cost $800.00 when all I can afford is the Savage for $400.00. I know that I will never feel good about my purchase if I do even though I know the Savage will get the job done.

Comparing BM pieces to CRK pieces is an apples-to-oranges approach in the first place. About the only thing they have in common is that they both are meant to cut. In reality, it's like comparing Gerber knives to Microtech. It would also appear that many who make the comparison have "handled but do not own" Benchmades. It would seem to me that this disqualifies a lot of comments made!

I've got Sebenzas (yes, more than one currently) and a Mountaineer I that I am highly, highly fond of. The Mountaineer I especially is a superb work knife. The solid construction makes for a knife that I'm not worried about accidentally dropping, or throwing point-first into wood while outdoors. It's a tough mutha, no doubt about it.

The Benchmade 750, on the other hand, is both a great work knife in its own right, and was never ever made to market against the Sebenza. I don't see why it keeps coming up, but I do see it as a compliment to BM that the two would be compared. The 750 I've got has seen some action and remains unscathed for the most part, illustrating to me the level of abuse it can withstand and still function perfectly. I'm sorry, but junk falls apart when subjected to this.

I've got a representative sample from just about every production knife company, and a boatload of "work/tactical" custom pieces as well. Benchmade represents to me an uncanny value considering the varied designs available, rugged construction (not every knife has to be made with one-piece handle slabs to be durable, much to the chagrin of many I'm sure), and wear resistence with models like the 705/710/720/730 Axis folders that to my observation is paralleled only by Sebenzas. After years of carrying and using folders and owning just about everything out there I consider to be quality work, I have settled on the BM705 as an everyday user. I'm rough on stuff, and have been known to misplace stuff for a year or ten, so it also is important to me that I can have four 705's in various blade configurations to my one small Sebenza.

Am I knocking CR Knives, noooooooo way! I love them, and owning them and using them should be the ultimate in flattery that a consumer can bestow on a company. What I'm knocking is "knifecentrism," or the belief that one brand is far superior to others. Finally, I would invite anyone smitten with slamming BM in particular to drop by "my" forum and have a go. Benchmade fans have a great appreciation for other brands, but may have a thing or two to add. Just my half pence.

Professor.

Prof, in the words of the cat who won't cop out when there's danger all about - Damn Strait.

"Die thread, die!" yelled the sword wielding warrior, as he thrust his mighty blade into the heart of the thing. "Why won't this foul beast give forth the death rattle that should have come forth long ago?" the grim defender muttered to himself. As he hacked away, he felt the thread's noxious blood sting his skin and wondered how much longer his arm would hold out. Is this the end, gentle reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back