Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

1986 Butterbean with Honey Bone covers. I was told from the gentleman who previously owned this that it is 1 of 24. It seems that Bob started making this pattern in the same year. Not sure about much more info than that though. Carries really nice in the pocket. Sunken joints :thumbsup:

RrDXIwr.jpg

a7gldQN.jpg

GiG43Fc.jpg
Would you mind sharing the dimensions of this knife?

Just thought would let ya'll know their is a 25 piece lot of Cripple Creeks up for auction on the big site..go check out the photos if ya please. Also not my auction!

1986 Butterbean with Honey Bone covers. I was told from the gentleman who previously owned this that it is 1 of 24. It seems that Bob started making this pattern in the same year. Not sure about much more info than that though. Carries really nice in the pocket. Sunken joints :thumbsup:

RrDXIwr.jpg

a7gldQN.jpg

GiG43Fc.jpg

I stumbled upon this thread when searching for information on this Butterbean that I picked at a knife show on Saturday. Nice knife, Tim! I really like mine. Solid, hefty, great in hand feel, and very unique.

IMG_4283.JPG
IMG_4286.JPG

I stumbled upon this thread when searching for information on this Butterbean that I picked at a knife show on Saturday. Nice knife, Tim! I really like mine. Solid, hefty, great in hand feel, and very unique.

View attachment 957048
View attachment 957049
That is a very nice one. His stag is always nice. I like the size & sunken jounts with the pattern. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 957048
View attachment 957049
Very nice, I was able to pick up a

View attachment 957048
View attachment 957049
I like that pattern as well! Be sure to keep her clean, for some reason it likes to spot between the etching and nail pull, on the main blade.

If I'm not mistaken, the "Indian Lore of Indiana" knives were like the "Chief Anderson" knives. Cargill built them for a gentleman from Indiana. I thought that I had copied a flier
about them that Bryan had sent me but can't seem to find it. The same goes for the Ira Hayes knife. It was an order for Hughes Cutlery and was limited to 30 pieces.
We talked about them on page 9.
Greg

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the "Indian Lore of Indiana" knives were like the "Chief Anderson" knives. Cargill built them for a gentleman from Indiana. I thought that I had copied a flier
about them that Bryan had sent me but can't seem to find it. The same goes for the Ira Hayes knife. It was an order for Hughes Cutlery and was limited to 30 pieces.
We talked about them on page 9.
Greg
Thank you sir for the post. I went back to page 9 and read about it. Would love to see that flyer if it turns up.

mckgreg mckgreg in post #176 we learn that Cargill made the "Indian lore of Indiana" series for a gentleman in Indiana. After he made these for that gentleman, he then went on to make more of these same knives to sell to the public in general? And if so, are all of these listed in his 1986 production totals?

Cargill started making that version of a trapper pattern in 1985. The "Indiana Indian Lore" knives are a series unto themselves. There are no others. Look into the 1986 Smoke Signals and let us know what's there.
I'm sure his regular line of these trappers are listed. I don't believe the "Lore Knives" are
I'm still looking for the flyer on the "Lore Knives". There wasn't a whole lot of them made that's for sure. Getting a complete set would be pretty cool.
Also keep in mind that in 1986 Cargill was gearing up to move to Old Fort, TN. Not a meager undertaking by any means. He was still operating to fulfill contracts and his regular line in 1986.
For instance, the Knife Expo Buffalo Skinner with green scales has an Old Fort, TN stamp making it a '87 even tho the blade etching says '86.
Moving just the shop to another location and getting it set up again takes time. Not to mention setting up a new house too. I believe this was taking place towards the end of 1986.
Greg

Last edited:
Thank you for the response mckgreg mckgreg . Somehow it got by me until just now. I will take another look at the 86 Smoke Signals.

Back