Boker Plus Exskelibur I (Ti Frame lock)

I just got my first Boker knife, Boker Plus Exskelibur I.
Here are my first impressions.

Specifications:
Blade length: 3.50"
Closed length: 4.69"
Overall length: 8.12"
Handle thickness: 0.31"
Weight: 3.05 oz
Blade steel: S35VN
Blade thickness: 0.11"

EXK1.JPG

I really like the Skellern/Burger design. It is very clean and concise yet functional.
EKX2.JPG

And the knife is very slim and disappears in a pocket.

Mine has Ti scales. They are bead blasted and have a feel similar to that of Umnumzaan scales.
Each scale measures about 0.059” or 1.5 mm, and the knife itself is only 0.35” thick.
Very slim!
Here is a comparison with Manix2LW, GB1, and Umnumzaan (Exskelibur on the left end).

EXK5.JPG

Side view with GB1 and Umnumzaan.
EXK6.JPG

My blade is 0.105” (or 2.67 mm) thick. It is one of the thinnest frame-lock blades I have seen.
It is hollow-ground, but very shallowly.
The grind is very even, and the edge bevel is very even, too.
The thickness behind the edge is around 0.013" after sharpening at 15 DPS.
(Update: The S35VN steel works quite well in terms of edge retention. I have a feeling that it performs better than that on Umnumzaan)

EXK3.JPG

It slices a tomato like a dream and outperformed my GEC Tiduoute #73 (not included in the video below).

[Youtube]9j86LjxDLr8[/Youtube]

The blue anodized clip looks great and works great. It comes as a tip-down carry clip.
I moved it right away to the other end.

It deploys without an effort.
This is my first front flipper, but it required no time for me to learn how to open it.
The blade rides on teflon (I think) washers not bearings.

Overall, the knife feels really good in hand. Great design, good finish, and very thin blade (finally!).

But there are some issues.
First, the screws are very tight and ridiculously soft! The knife comes with a torx screw. It cannot move the pivot screw. So I used my torx driver to unscrew the pivot. It became loose but did not come out and stuck in the middle. I also rounded the screw a bit during the process, although I put almost my entire weight on the tool. Since the lock side screw is not a torx but proprietary screw, I could not hold it. I managed to unscrew it by pushing the pivot against a rubber band. But it was ridiculously tight….. All other screws are also really soft and can be easily rounded, which I did on some (You can see my struggle on the second picture around the pivot area).
If you disassemble and clean a knife often, I would not recommend this knife.
(Update: I think now that it was due to overtightened screw. The knife was not priperly assembled, such that whoever assembled it in the factory overtightened the pivot screw to compensate for the misalignment. After aligning everything right, it is very easy to disassemble it without a special tool.)

Second, although lock-up is good on mine, the lock sticks. It is not super bad. Probably as bad as my Spyderco GB1. Sharpie on the blade tang helps, and I have to see how it breaks in. The spring is also quite strong.
(Update: The sharpie technique really helps. It is broken in a bit and easier to unlock, partly due to thickening of my thumb skin though.)

EXK4.JPG

This could be my grail knife if the fit and hardware were better.
This is a great knife for the price.
I will look into the original Burger Exskelibur now and see that would be my grail or not.

Miso

Last edited:
Thank you for the review this is a knife I was interested in and the comparison pictures were great.

Insipid Moniker

Yes, the grind is really good. I don't think I have seen this much thin grind from a thin blade stock. And it is hollow-grind, such that the initial acuteness of the blade geometry is superb. Indeed, I could cut cucumbers and potatos very cleanly without breaking them (they would break if I use Umnumzaan). It really worked to the level of a kitchen knife.

Miso

Insipid Moniker

Yes, the grind is really good. I don't think I have seen this much thin grind from a thin blade stock. And it is hollow-grind, such that the initial acuteness of the blade geometry is superb. Indeed, I could cut cucumbers and potatos very cleanly without breaking them (they would break if I use Umnumzaan). It really worked to the level of a kitchen knife.

Miso

You're definitely tempting my. If the come out with the Ti framelock and S35VN configuration with a burl scale I may have to bite.

That would be sweet and pretty slimiar to the offerings from Burger.
Putting the cons aside, I really love the blade grind so much, I just ordered a same knife as a backup.
I have never reasoned to buy knives in duplicate, but this one was just too close to my dream knife with an affordable price.

Miso

Hi! Very nice knife, congrats for the double :) score! Thanks for your short review. I was eyeing hard these new Exskeliburs versions, good upgrading with the steel and handle materials :thumbup:! I also like a lot the ones with carbon fiber handles. I am really thinking about getting a 2 (the smaller), still deciding if Ti or CF… for the price it’s really a deal.

I had problems similar to what you describe with the disassembly of my Southern Grind Spider Monkey. Been looking around for a pin spanner tool but with no luck. Finally I came to a DIY solution with chopping a paper clip (kind of “bulldog” type, pictured here). Well, it worked pretty neatly. Maybe something like this can work also for that lock side screw… annoying they are so soft. I don’t own any Boker so far but I imagine, if asked, they can send over a couple of spare screws and stuff…

28vzo5f.jpg

Hi Herlock,

Thank you for the useful info.
I will definitely try your method.

I think I know now why the pivot screw was that tight:mad:
I was puzzled at the beginning because I saw no trace of locktite on the pivot screw.
I also heated up the screw just in case they put tons of locktite.
Still, the damn scerw was really tight.

After disassmbling and inspecting the structure, I found that there is a cut on the female pivot pin, which would fit to the cut created on the othe scale.
Since there is no cut to the scale where the female pivot pin is inserted, it rotates freely, such that aligning these cuts was somewhat difficult.
But when they fit, the pivot screw could be secured without much torque and without holding the pivot pin with a special tool.

My guess is that whoever assembled the knife at the factory did not care for the alignment and just overtightened the pivot to compensate for misalignment:grumpy:
Locktite might have been there as well because the screw also stuck in the middle, although again I did not see any trace.

At the end, it is a fine knife for the price.
For me, who fianlly realized, after going through a number of different knives, the love to thin profile knives with very thin blades and Ti scales, this is close a perfect knife.
I am thinking of getting the original Burger, but this knife (or these knives soon) would stay as my user, which the expensive sibling would be a safe queen.

Miso

A quick measuremts.

The blade thickness I measure is 0.105" (or 2.6 mm) with my caliper.
The thickness behind edge is around 0.015" or probably less.
Impressive......
For a comparison, the blade thickness of my Umnumzaan was 0.135", and the edge thickness was 0.027"

Miso

Last edited:
How was the centering on yours? I ordered a CF one from GPKnives and left a note to check the fit and finish because Boker can be variable, and they called me to let me know both the titanium and CF ones they had left were off center. Ended up canceling my order instead of having to deal with the centering.

How was the centering on yours? I ordered a CF one from GPKnives and left a note to check the fit and finish because Boker can be variable, and they called me to let me know both the titanium and CF ones they had left were off center. Ended up canceling my order instead of having to deal with the centering.

Misanthropia,

Mine came with a little bit off-centered blade.
But I am now able to adjust it to the center, since the knife is all aligned (see my above post for what this means).
Also, the technique to adjust the blade centering worked, which requires first to loosesn up the screws on the scale, tighten up the pivot screw, push the blade to the opposite to the offset of the blade, and then tighten up the scale screws followed by readujsting the pivot screw torque.
It helps.

Miso

It has been a week since I got the knife.

I now know how to easily and properly assemble the knife and adjust blade centering.
The sticky lock I had in the beginning has been mostly subsided thanks to the sharpie technique.

With these initial issues resolved, this is my favorite knife now.
I am particularly impressed with the thinly ground blade.
It is a great slicer.

To visualize the thinness of it better, I stabbed clay to mold the blade shape.
The right hole is made by Exskeliber, and the left by Umnumzaan.
Although the shapes do not perfectly capture their blade grind, I think the difference can be easily seen between these two.

EXK_Umnum_grind.JPG

I will do more comparisons later with this technique.

Miso

So I used clay to better visualize blade grinds of several knives.

Blade_grind.JPG

Obviously, Exskelibur and Stretch are the thinnest in this group.
Umnumzaan is the thickest in the blade stock and the grind.
GB1 is surprisingly thin, although it's blade stock is similar to Umnumzaan and similarly hollow-ground.
Manix is much thicker than Stretch despite in the same FFG group.

Miso

I love the size, weight and shape of the small Boker Exskeliburs and the original small Burger. I own the original Exskelibur II and the Decade Exskelibur II.

I'd like to get the new Ti Exskelibur II. But unlike all the other models, this new small Ti with better materials doesn't come with jimping.

The larger model reviewed here does.

This makes no sense, since all of these models are front-flippers.

Boker, please fix this omission!

It doesn't seem, from the video, that Exskelibur II is a front-flipper.

[Youtube]MArqkmqfAI8[/Youtube]

Miso

What a great review. I went ahead and purchased the Decade Ex 1 based on everything I've read here. It's very nice in person and I'm having fun learning to use the front flipper.

However the blade is off-center to the presentation side. Not rubbing but still off. I didn't get the pivot tool in my box either. Do you think there will be any long term issue if I leave it like that or should I contact Boker to resolve it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back