Boker "Tree Brand Classic" & Solingen made traditional knives

Last but not least from the box Modoc ED Modoc ED sent me earlier this week, these two beautiful Boker Copperheads. Sweet permanent additions to my Boker collection, thanks Ed for the very generous gifts. 😎👍View attachment 1845872View attachment 1845873
Those are gorgeous. I especially like the brown one. What a nice gift.

There's one thing that confused me, though. The Böker Copperheads have two blades the same size yet the Case Copperheads have a long blade and a little pen blade.

Which style is more "authentic" for being a Copperhead?

These are my Boker Barlows that I have for now, the collection is growing.

I love and collect these Böker Barlows, too. I wish they still came with two blades and were about 50% longer but I've got to admit that my EDC one serves me very well just as it is. 😃

Those are gorgeous. I especially like the brown one. What a nice gift.
Thanks, I really like the German made Bokers.
There's one thing that confused me, though. The Böker Copperheads have two blades the same size yet the Case Copperheads have a long blade and a little pen blade.

Which style is more "authentic" for being a Copperhead?
That’s a good question. I know Modoc ED Modoc ED mentioned to me that he prefers the full sized secondary blade to the smaller one too, but as far as which is more authentic, I don’t know. Maybe someone with more historical knowledge than I have (which is almost anyone on this forum 😄) will jump in and educate us.

Thanks, I really like the German made Bokers.

That’s a good question. I know Modoc ED Modoc ED mentioned to me that he prefers the full sized secondary blade to the smaller one too, but as far as which is more authentic, I don’t know. Maybe someone with more historical knowledge than I have (which is almost anyone on this forum 😄) will jump in and educate us.

Boker had a American Folding Hunter Knife pattern 2020 they introduced in the 1950s which was much like the Folding Hunter Knives offered by Case, Camillus, etc.. 5 1/4 inches long with two blades - clip and skinning blades and upswept bolster.

The following are quotes/excerpts from the book "Boker - Two Centuries and Two Continents Representing One Name in Cutlery Excellence" pages 116 and 117 by Neal Punchard and Ricky Ray.

Quote from the book:

"In 1994, during the celebration of Boker's 125-year anniversary a shorter version of the American Folding Hunter knife was introduced. The new knife was only 3 3/4" long closed. This length was still a handful, and made for a great working knife. But the shorter length allowed it to be carried in the hunter's pocket if preferred. These knives are now commonly known as the "copperhead" pattern."

So, it appears that the Boker Copperhead could also be called a Medium Folding Hunter. I think the name "Copperhead" is derived from the bolster being upswept thus covering the sharp tangs of the blades.

Hard to say what the proper blade for the non-clip blade of the Copperhead knife is. Case makes their interpretation and Boker and others make their interpretations.

Anyway that's my .¢

Last edited:
Boker had a American Folding Hunter Knife pattern 2020 they introduced in the 1950s which was much like the Folding Hunter Knives offered by Case, Camillus, etc.. 5 1/4 inches long with two blades - clip and skinning blades and upswept bolster.

The following are quotes/excerpts from the book "Boker - Two Centuries and Two Continents Representing One Name in Cutlery Excellence" pages 116 and 117 by Neal Punchard and Ricky Ray.

Quote from the book:

"In 1994, during the celebration of Boler's 125-year anniversary a shorter version of the American Folding Hunter knife was was introduced. The new knife was only 3 3/4" long closed. This length was still a handful, and made for a great working knife. But the shorter length allowed it to be carried in the hunter's pocket if preferred. These knives are now commonly known as the "copperhead" pattern."

So, it appears that the Boker Copperhead could also be called a Medium Folding Hunter. I think the name "Copperhead" is derived from the bolster being upswept thus covering the sharp tangs of the blades.

Hard to say what the proper blade for the non-clip blade of the Copperhead knife is. Case makes their interpretation and Boker and others make their interpretations.

Anyway that's my .¢
Thanks for the info Ed. 😊👍

I love and collect these Böker Barlows, too. I wish they still came with two blades and were about 50% longer but I've got to admit that my EDC one serves me very well just as it is. 😃

Many thanks, Erik.;)👍

I’ve been carrying this one a fair amount recently. I should probably buy one of the green curly birch models before they disappear.
VXPWP47.jpg

I’ve been carrying this one a fair amount recently. I should probably buy one of the green curly birch models before they disappear.
VXPWP47.jpg
Those are nice little Jacks. Very nice character in those covers. 😎👍

Reactions: AnW
Back