Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Ringo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've been thinking about something like this for a while. A design which has a point that lines up perfectly with the forearm, has a large enough blade to function in a tactical role, has a ring for extreme retention, but also an option to grip outside of the ring for variety and versatility in utility tasks. The cutting edge on this one will be a full 5", even if the plunge starts ahead of the ring, which in the case of this knife, it will. I have not yet decided if it will have an LT style tanto grind, or a swedged tip, though I am leaning toward LT for maximum toughness.

BEHOLD!

IMG_3992.JPG
IMG_3993.JPG
IMG_3994.JPG
IMG_3995.JPG
IMG_3996.JPG
IMG_3997.JPG

Also note the curve and shape of the handle, how it is set up to allow the palm to provide direct pressure and force from behind the knife, right in line with the tip, so that the index finger need not experience any crushing forces on it, even in the hardest thrusts. And the choked up grip, as mentioned which will provide great leverage for slicing and carving. And the handle is just long enough for my medium large hands to have full pinky purchase, which is also essential for maximum cutting leverage.

IMG_3998.JPG
IMG_3999.JPG
IMG_4001.JPG
IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_4003.JPG
IMG_4002.JPG

You know best, but when I see a ring on a knife, all I can think of is "broken finger." Sorry. Way too dangerous for me. Anybody with gloves on could grab my knife and rip my finger off. Also, I could trip and fall on my face — which, I will admit, is a very attractive face — and cause the knife to leverage my finger into unhappy, dislocated positions. It's a knife. Do we really need a ring? What's the objective here?

By the way, that knife you made for Bob Denman is totally killer. I'll have to think of something to get even with him.

Last edited:
You know best, but when I see a ring on a knife, all I can think of is "broken finger." Sorry. Way too dangerous for me. Anybody with gloves on could grab my knife and rip my finger off. Also, I could trip and fall on my face — which, I will admit, is a very attractive face — and cause the knife to leverage my finger into unhappy, dislocated positions. It's a knife. Do we really need a ring? What's the objective here?

By the way , that knife you made for Bob Denman is totally killer. I'll have to think of something to get even with him.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Even the ring on a karambit would make me nervous. If you strike something hard and don't have a perfect grip, the deflection could injure your finger. People who are experts with those types of knives probably use them successfully, but I am not that coordinated. 😳

I read somewhere that they had knives with rings in the middle like that for doing rope work. You could still retain the knife and use both hands to continue working. Need to cut, just grip the knife. Release the grip to use both hands again.

You guys are totally not wrong. There is some added risk to the finger using a knife like this. However, some people like them, and are aware of the risk, and willing to assume and manage it for the potential benefits. I personally don't think I'll carry or use a ring knife, even though I am very attracted to them. But I like to make new things, even if they sometimes end up being a one off piece for that one guy or gal out there who has been scouring the barren wastes looking for that one design that doesn't exist... until now.

Thank you both for posting.

Everyone see what I did there?

iu

GotterdammeRing?

Didn't know what this meant, but after looking it up, I think you have quite the sophisticated mind!

If it gets that name, it will truly be a Tanto For Our Times.

Back