Brush Axes

Fun fact: true brush axe handles didn't have a kerf cut in the top of the handle. They were just tapped on snug and the lower band prevented the head from coming off.

The original handle on my Kelly Brush Axe/Hook didn't have a kerf cut in it. The CT #12 Brush Axe is a different attachment and does have a kerf and a wedge in it.

DSC_0618-1.jpg

This HAN cleaned up fairly well. They are growing on me.
vYwBpxQ.jpg

Last edited:
The original handle on my Kelly Brush Axe/Hook didn't have a kerf cut in it. The CT #12 Brush Axe is a different attachment and does have a kerf and a wedge in it.

DSC_0618-1.jpg

Yeah the CT's are an exception as they're a strapless design.

You're very welcome!

Back on topic, I love Wranglestar's video on a "proper brush axe" where he then proceeds to demonstrate how little he knows about what that really means. Unfortunately due to his internet fame it's one of the most-viewed videos on YouTube about them. :eek:

Just for fun I dismantled this Council 12. Hand run wire brush on the blade to get loose paint/corrosion of it. Spent 2 days in vinegar then again with the hand brush. I kind of like the look with some of the original paint intact on the head.

mvSl5dC.jpg

Took it out back and tried it on the Himalayan blackberry- took a few swings to get the hang of it. This thing powered through them easily. I rehung it a degree or two closed- preference for more "draw" control with my monkey arms...

w79j94u.jpg

It came to me with two wedges installed - Red Devil steel wedges with the full logo on them- I've only seen them in bulk or marked "R D". They were a bear to remove, trying not further any stress cracks. Dropped the head about .25" at the same time.

0uyKDh5.jpg

I stood the handle for 24hrs on both ends in boiled linseed oil before rehanging. I lightly sanded the handle just to clean off some junk before BLO. The painted handle kind of fit with the head.

dAl5495.jpg

Fun stuff

Last edited:
I like this big billhook made by Bulldog tools for brushing. I had to reinforce and weld up the junction of the socket and blade.

DSC01525_zps24632f9b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01526_zpsb0dd038a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I lightly sanded the handle just to clean off some junk before BLO. The painted handle kind of fit with the head.

Fun stuff

It's a good look.

I've always had concerns about kerf and wedge hung brush axes versus strapped brush axes. But maybe I've worried needlessly. Your hang certainly looks secure.

Halfaxe- cool billhook. Wish I had welding skills to fix my own stuff. My friends/coworkers do too.

Square_peg- I understand your concern. My experience with that style of brush axe is limited. It certainly seems as solid as when I got it and used it out back. Thinking it will show some wiggle before it comes off. Without a kerf cut, those wedges displace a lot of wood.

I like this big billhook made by Bulldog tools for brushing. I had to reinforce and weld up the junction of the socket and blade.

DSC01525_zps24632f9b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01526_zpsb0dd038a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Classic Yorkshire pattern. Love those things. :):thumbup:

DSC01525_zps24632f9b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01526_zpsb0dd038a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thats neat. Isn't that a Warren brand name? I can't make out what is stamped under the "Bulldog".

Funny enough I have a brush axe marked The Collins Company as well, found it at Liberty Tools for seven bucks. She's in damn good shape besides the slight surface rust. No nicks or dings at all, and the "tip" is still nice and pointy. Not to mention that nice stamp.
image-95.jpg

That is a nice one Darth. It's in great shape and it's the medium weight version - my personal favorite. The inside of the curve can be sharpened with a half-round file followed by a piece of dowel wrapped with sandpaper.

Thats neat. Isn't that a Warren brand name? I can't make out what is stamped under the "Bulldog".

Bulldog Tools Made in England. I bought the billhook new about 1981. Bulldog tools are (or were?) high quality forged tools. Spades, forks, gardening and farming tools mostly. Not real common in the US but imported off and on.

The best UK-based billhook manufacturer is Morris--Bulldog, Burgon & Ball, and Spear & Jackson are all stamped flat construction these days. Still good tools in spite of it. :)

Just want to say how much I appreciate the knowledge on this forum and the willingness to share it. :thumbup:

i should probably learn more about these, as i scored a very nice one at a yard sale for ... nothing :D

Back