Buck folders

db

Has anyone here not owned a Buck folder at one time or another? A Buck 110 wasn’t my first knife or even a close second. However, I always carried one as a kid hunting. Even though it is a big brick I’d even strap it on when squirrel hunting. Don’t know why but I always thought of it as my going out to the woods knife. Even back then I’d use my pocket knife more but if I was going into the woods my old 110 would be with me. That probably changed in my late 20’s. I still have my 110 and it is the knife that has been with me the longest. I don’t use it anymore and haven’t for many years but its still with me. As you can probably tell I just ran across it and thought to myself “I bet everyone has had one of these and has a story to tell about it.”

Interesting. Never had a 110 as I don't much fancy brass bolsters or the weight. Nevertheless, Buck offers knives that are so appealing because of their straightforward utility. The yellow or sawn delrin traditionals really please me and a fixed blade of theirs you don't here enough of, the Gen 5vSkinner. I use this a lot on hikes, its lightweight thin blade is easy to sharpen, prepares food so well and will shave a good firestick. It skins ,guts fish with excellence.

Inexpensive, durable and down to earth sums up the Buck appeal for me at least.

I had and lost a Buck 110 when I was young, maybe 15-17 years old. I have a Buck 703 that I carried for years in the late 80's into the early 90's (back when I was more of a one knife man) until the master spring snapped. I have since learned that is a pretty common failure on the early examples of that model.
I have been meaning to send that back to buck for almost 20 years now I guess. I think I can get a 301 in place of it since they no longer offer the 703, maybe it's time I got motivated and sent it in.
Thanks for reminding me.

Before I became a knife knut, my go-to everyday pocketknife was a Buck 301. I was never attracted to the 110 because of both the size and weight of it, but the 301 stockman was with me for about 25 years. It traveled all over with me, and was finally retired when an older co-worker of mine passed away and I inherited his well worn 303 cadet. The cadet was carried until I downsized to a peanut. I still have a 102 woodsman that is my belt knife that goes camping and hiking with me.

To me, Buck has always represented a great value for the dollar knife. They will always have a place close in my heart.

Carl.

I've got a yella 301 and a stag 389 canoe, plus a couple of OHO. Excellent values, one and all.

I can't keep track of all the various Buck knives I've had over the years. Currently, I just have two: A model 55, and a Bucklite 422, which is basically a lightweight version of the 112 Ranger. Love both of them.

-- Mark

Opted for the 112 as my first Buck/ real knife, bought with my paper route money. My brothers and I did a lot of fishing back then, and countless Horned Pout, bass, trout and perch, and other unfortunate creatures found their way to the frying pan from that blade. It followed me into the Coast Guard, and served as my constant carry while on Deck Force...that one wound up on the bottom of Davey Jones Locker somewhere off the coast of Alaska while working on some cargo netting on the flight deck. Grabbed a 703 at the next PX and carried that one till the main spring let go...got it fixed by Buck with a properly HT spring, and still have that one today, along with a "couple" of other Bucks.

I carried a finger-grooved 110 in my back pocket everyday for about 10 years. I used it for hunting, fishing, camping and hiking all over southwest Missouri. It did everything I ever needed and at that time I thought it was the best knife around. Maybe it was. I lost it one night and came to depend on a Case 3318 stockman that my Grandad had given me because it was the only other knife I had. I learned that most of the time the little stockman was enough knife and became a real fan of carbon steel.
I eventually replaced my 110 and still carry one from time to time but have never came close to every day carrying one again. I am a fan of them tho and I suppose I will always be fond of them. Great knives.
Jim

I've never had a 110, but I've got a soft spot for Buck too. When I went off to college, my dad gave me a 501 lockback. (He himself carried a 300-something when I was little, and a 525 Gent later on) A couple years after that my uncle gave me his 1986 303 Cadet, just because he thought I'd like to have it. And last Christmas my best friend gave me a 389 Canoe. (Inadvertently re-activating my knife-accumulating habit, that jerk. :D)

It kind of cemented Buck in my mind as 'what people who care about you give you when they find out you like knives.'

Hey this might sound crazy, but have any of you guys noticed the unique "smell" buck knives have? I know it sounds ridiculous but i could always differentiate a buck by the smell of the wood, and the smell of the patina on the brass bolsters, especially true of the buck 110. lol. im probably crazy

I had one that I bought on my first enlistment when stationed in Arkansas 1971-1975. I had it with me when i moved to Mexico 1996 or 7. Put in the hands of one of the many leather workers of that time to have a sheath made. Nice guy, he "lost" the knife. I haven't bought its replacement yet.

I love my Buck folders. Carried one for many years, before I got hooked on Benchmades. The Bucks my Grandpa use to use have a very special place in my collection.

I have one or two......300

The master of understatement right there.

I have a 301 single blade and a 302 single blade, a 503 single blade and a 389Y canoe. All nice, inexpensive knives. I've had the Buck 503 the longest.

Ed J

The 110 wasn't my first knife, it was my 3rd. After the small Old Timer Jack my grandfather gave me and a SAK. It was my absolute favorite. If I was in the woods or fishing I had it with me. Finally lost it during my time in the Army.

After a bit of research I managed to replace it with one of similar vintage (2 dot). I just touched up the edge on my 110 over the weekend in prep heading to the woods .....

It wasn't long after I owned my first Buck folder till I wanted to buy another. :D

Never had a 110 or 112, but I remember going deer hunting with my uncle when I was a kid and handling his 110. It seemed impossibly huge at the time :p

I have a few Buck's, both one handers as well as slipjoints, probably my favorite is the 303 that I have in red laminated wood and a nice black handled 303 I won here in a giveaway by trevytrev.

Ever since I got my son an Eagle Scout engraved 500 directly from Buck I've known I'll eventually order a Custom Shop 501. I like the elk stag handles so I gotta save up for awhile :D

I have a buck 301 I bought of a friend on here, got old of a 112 at one point but it went back out the door before I really got to appreciate it. Have to say when a days just a day and I just need to clip a knife in my pocket, it's the 301 that comes with me out the door.

Thanks for the story(s) always my favorite threads :)

I always wanted a Buck 110 when I was a kid but they were a lot more money in Canada than the Schrade knives. Once I got some money I bought a bunch of 110's and a few 112's, mostly 2 dots but some older ones and some newer ones. Where I work I can carry whatever I want and so I guess now I mostly carry a 112 but occasionally carry a 110 or a Schrade 7OT that I have had for almost 30 years. I still like to feel weight on my hip even though I have a lot of knives that weigh next to nothing.

I'm hoping to get one someday.... Bought my dad a 112 for Christmas but I don't have the funds to get one. I really want a 301 for Christmas but I doubt I'm getting one.

Back