Buck folders

That's a beautiful 110 Oregon. I recently picked up a 55 and a 505, and while they're both well made, I was hoping for more heft and substance to them. I like the proportions of the 110, but I'd like a smaller size like the 55, just... thicker.

SonnyJim,

If you want a knife that has the heft and gravitas of a 110 but that is more pocketable, you should look at the 112 Ranger.

Here are the 110 and 112 side by each.

Buck 110 and 112 by Pinnah, on Flickr

While the 110 is considered "the Buck knife", I think the 112 and it's fixed blade cousin, the 113, are the most beautiful knives Buck has ever made. The balance and feel of the 112 in the hand has to be felt to be believed. The way the front bolster curls over your forefinger and the way the rear bolster acts as a counter balance. It's far and away my favorite Buck. The lighter Ecolite 112 is a dandy too. Actually even more comfortable in hand and even more pocketable. Same wide width.

I had a few 110s, my favorite is the 25th anniversary version with nickle silver and solid ebony handles.

I agree that the 112 just has a balance and look that aesthetically is just about perfect. There's also something about the good old fashioned smell and feel of the leather Buck sheath as opposed to the nylon.
Buck110-112-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion Pinnah. I never noticed the curve of the front bolster on the 112, definitely a beautiful, if not functional detail! A 112 may be the ticket :)

I didn't get my hands on a 110 until very recently, though it was on my to-do list since I was about 13. But I do remember that my Scoutmaster--who was a knife guy and had the resources to buy and carry whatever he desired--only carried a 112 on his belt. When I asked him why that particular knife, he told me how it balanced better than the 110, fit his hand better, and so on. Then, he paused, shrugged, and said that behind all the logic was the fact that he liked it and that there was nothing he would need to do that it couldn't handle.

I think that sums it up nicely.

Hey N8swag

I just bought four 112s trying to decide which one to give to my daughter's boyfriend. He is getting the three-dot with fgs but I have one that is from 1992 that has a nice blade on it, hasn't been over-sharpened so still has length. It is not finger grooved. I would love to send it to you for Xmas. Just tell me where !

I carry a 501 every day, 365 days a year (unless going into a facility that doesn't allow knives). I own a 110, but I find it a little too large to EDC.

Hey N8swag

I just bought four 112s trying to decide which one to give to my daughter's boyfriend. He is getting the three-dot with fgs but I have one that is from 1992 that has a nice blade on it, hasn't been over-sharpened so still has length. It is not finger grooved. I would love to send it to you for Xmas. Just tell me where !

gphunt---you my friend are great and a true asset to this forum---I love members here and their truly kind gestures!!! That is what it's all about...

I have several Buck knives and have beat the tar out of them through the years they always seem to take the brunt of the heavy maint or work around my house. I would sling a new edge on your 110 and use it!

Since you guys have been talking about big Buck folders I will throw in photos of the few I have. 300Bucks

Older 112s, Shedua (Segua) wood on top, 1972
112Segua2.jpg

How about a old 2 rivet 110. 1974
old110-2-1.jpg

Here's the third model 112 with Micrata scales 1972
No2112.jpg

How about the 112 finger groove version. 1981
112FGA.jpg

The debate here is about what is 'Traditional'. Are blades and spines of a model, say a 112, with plastic scales still a Traditional. This is a 35+ year old 422, which has a copy of a 112 blade.

Valox4222.jpg

What about a similar version with wild hunter orange scales with a date stamp of 2000? It even has a 112 blade.
orange112-1.jpg

And finally a 110 with blade printings from the Workman series of Buck knives. 1980's
110Workman.jpg

That about big knives me out.....

Last edited:
Lets do the last one, since it is sort of a odd-ball...... Don't be too envious, I sold most of these 112s off for 300 models money.......300

This 112 is called the 4 rivet. Buck changed scale rivet specifications mid-year so they just drilled the new three hole design in the scales they already had made-up and drilled out for two hole. The eventual switch would be from two rivet to three rivet production. This is a pretty rare 112 version. Mid to late 1970's.

1124Rivet.jpg

Last edited:
Hey N8swag

Hey man! That would be really nice of you!! Thankyou!!

Thankyou for your generosity but I'm going to have to decline.... I just don't know of I would use that knife as much as it should be used. I really, really appreciate the offer though! I actually just pulled an antique fixed blade outa the drawer to use as my new hunting knife.

Lets do the last one, since it is sort of a odd-ball...... Don't be too envious, I sold most of these 112s off for 300 models money.......300

This 112 is called the 4 rivet. Buck changed scale rivet specifications mid-year so they just drilled the new three hole design in the scales they already had made-up and drilled out for two hole. The eventual switch would be from two rivet to three rivet production. This is a pretty rare 112 version. Mid to late 1970's.

1124Rivet.jpg

Wow! There's the beef! That looks a handful!:thumbup:

I've got a couple Buck 110s. With me right now is a Version 3, Variation 8 model, inverted left-hand two-line no-dot stamp, made between 1968 and 1970, in 440C.
I like the oldies the best. :cool:

was at a popular outdoor gear store earlier today and saw what i think was a 301 buck with wooden covers and a blue shield.
nice looking knife, had a good heft to it but not too much.

Back