Buck Knives Partners with Taylor Guitars

Ok could not post this as it was too big? So learned a trick. Thanks for berring with me

Here are some examples of my favorite solid ebony scaled Bucks, and some examples of where it is used on the fretboards and bridges of guitars.

Rosewood is also used for bridges and fretboards, as well as backs and sides of the body. It is lighter in weight, and a little more open grained. It seems the Buck has used some rosewood, but I'm not sure about solid or "non-laminated" rosewood, as with ebony. Does anyone know?

Striped Macassar ebony Martin guitar bridge, black ebony fretboard, Buck 112 & 110.
ctbf8L6.jpg

USojc55.jpg

1HBi6mU.jpg

rv8KbN2.jpg

UDpdISp.jpg

wQbC2kw.jpg

Rosewood bridge and 3 piece back.
9ZJz0S8.jpg

YtRTjg4.jpg

I mean you have 4-110’s and a 112 and i thought 1-110 was a 2 pin but now i see you have 2 but my 112 is a 2 pin so we both have 2-2 pins and you have 1 engraved and i have one engraved? So how coincidental is that?

I'm excited about this too! I've been on the lookout for an older 110 that had ebony scales with a broken or sharpened down blade so I could send it in and put a current 110 blade on it (for ease of sharpening). I think instead, I will just be on the lookout for a 2019. Every time I go to a different Wally-world, I can look through them and find one with really nice grain pattern.

Weird...

I posted about this on a guitar forum yesterday. It's interesting that this interesting little story generated a lot of blowback over there. Musicians, eh?

I think this is great news. I understand why Buck made the change years ago, and I've got any number of the newer knives. But, I've got to say I like the old ebony scales better. I'm anxious to see one of the new knives.

That funny, David, we must have similar tastes in knives. I actually have two other 112s with ebony that didn't make it into the pics - one solid, and one laminated. The 112FG is one of my favorite designs.

Yes this thread is full of coincidences. About a day or two before I saw this thread, I was looking at some of the guitar themed knives - the ones with the pearl dots and herringbone inlays, and I was thinking Buck should hook up with a guitar manufacturer and see if there are any leftover ebony or rosewood scraps large enough to use for knives. Bingo, I ran onto this soon after.

@dsutton, What was the blowback about on the other forum? I can't really imagine what there is to gripe about, but yea, musicians eh.

JT

This is great news! I'm looking forward to a 112 in sustainably sourced ebony (and will retire my Dymondwood 112 to my BOB once it arrives).

When u guys get the new ones you ordered can u post like a unboxing pic showing what in there so we can see what to expect.

Maybe Buck can secure a supply of rosewood for use as scales also,it's a proven knife handle material with beautiful wood grain patterns in it,probably more available than the ebony Macassar

@dsutton, What was the blowback about on the other forum? I can't really imagine what there is to gripe about, but yea, musicians eh.

Essentially they're griping about how the article is written. Buck isn't 'partnering' with Taylor, they're buying wood from Taylor, that sort of thing.

I agree with that sentiment to some degree. When I see marketing terms like 'partnering' or 'sustainable' I recognize it as marketing double talk, but I really don't feel the need to challenge it.

What interests me about the deal, whatever you want to call it, is that I basically like what Taylor is doing. They have a long term source for wood that they need that isn't going to be a problem to the environmentalists or governments that get involved in this stuff. Taylor has a market for the zillions of small pieces that any sawmill generates. Buck gets to upgrade their product, and do it in such a way that it isn't going to cause price increases. That last point, in particular, interests me greatly.

Essentially they're griping about how the article is written. Buck isn't 'partnering' with Taylor, they're buying wood from Taylor, that sort of thing.

I agree with that sentiment to some degree. When I see marketing terms like 'partnering' or 'sustainable' I recognize it as marketing double talk, but I really don't feel the need to challenge it.

What interests me about the deal, whatever you want to call it, is that I basically like what Taylor is doing. They have a long term source for wood that they need that isn't going to be a problem to the environmentalists or governments that get involved in this stuff. Taylor has a market for the zillions of small pieces that any sawmill generates. Buck gets to upgrade their product, and do it in such a way that it isn't going to cause price increases. That last point, in particular, interests me greatly.

i'd like to read that thread. A good Buyer /supplier relationship is always a partnership to make sure it benefits both parties. but I can see how the general public think is it marketing speak..

i'd like to read that thread. A good Buyer /supplier relationship is always a partnership to make sure it benefits both parties. but I can see how the general public think is it marketing speak..

I'm not sure what the Blade Forums policy is about external links, so I sent you a P.M. with a link.

Back