Buck Sharpening Methods

bertl

Gold Member
KNIFE SHARPENING—If a person uses the search option, there is a lot of information on the forum about sharpening knives. I'm usually not in favor of adding stickies, but I think having one that puts sharpening information in one place would be useful. This could include discussion of techniques and opinions about equipment—stones, rods, sanding belts, etc. Please give your comment about this, then someone might start the sticky.

A good idea..
I sharpen most all my knives on bench stones, starting on a coarse SiC stone. Then finish on the fine at 3-400 grit. For the vanadium steels I'll finish it on the fine diamond (maybe).
On kitchen knives I'll finish those on the fine India. DM

Personally I would have no problem with adding another sticky if one of the current ones gets removed. There is quite a few stickies and would prefer that it doesn't get any longer. Just my 2 cents.

Such as when sharpening Buck's early 100 series knives with the semi- hollow grind. I will give it a V grind then blend the shoulders of the V back in with the convex grind. You can do this by stropping it on 800 grit SiC wet/ dry paper. Using a edge trailing stroke with a soft backing of a towel and lay the spine with a 1/8" lift off the sand paper. This blends it back. DM

There's a whole discussion area of it with multiple stickies in the general forum area

That's a good point. I didn't know about it, but that's my problem. I took a look and one problem for me is that the number of choices is sort of overwhelming—again, that's sort of my problem.

I agree.
Buck specific.
There are folks here with vast amounts of knowledge. It would be great to have a sticky that would have all that info in one spot.

Great idea Bert!

At least remove a sticky before another sticky so it doesn't get too sticky.

Would love a sharpening sticky, have a two sided stone I bought 40 years ago and have a bunch of little stones and stropping straps, but I learned to sharpen on rocks as a kid and thus I am not a sophisticate when it comes to sharpening, I have always just done it.

Now that I have more quality Bucks maybe I should take note on upping my sharpening game. Learning keeps life interesting.

A 2 grit stone, like the IB-8 ( India) or a JB-8 (SiC grit) will take you a long way.
Only 30$ to your door. Work up the burr on the coarse grit, remove it on the fine side. You can strop it on Makeal's leather. Whatever you like, just make sure you remove the burr. Most guided systems work. DM

Personal pref included or retaining factory edge in sticky

Sure thing Mak. The factory edges are coarse 250-320 grit. A good utility edge. A flavor many prefer. A stropped edge will be finer. Most paid meat cutters I have visited with sharpen to 180 grit. Then steel their blade during their shift. This gets them thru their shift. Which is the manner I do mine. Except I do edge trailing strokes(burr straightening) on the same stone. It's a coarse, utility edge but it's all I need for opening sacks of feed, cutting hay bale twine or my lunch apple.
Most meat cutters knives become a convex edge during use. DM

Last edited:
Kitchen knives take a lot of use & abuse. They are made to sharpen easily hold a ok - decent edge and be stainless. Unless my wife tells me earlier, I touch up all her kitchen knives on the 1st of each month. She mostly uses the sabatier, paring, utility and bread knife. She makes all of our bread. From toast to sandwich it's a treat. The carver and melon knives she doesn't use. So, I keep tabs on those. In dealing with a serrated blade there are some different approaches which I'll get into later.
None of which most like to tackle. DM

Last edited:
I've sharpened chisels and plane blades for years and feel pretty competent with that, but the geometry for those is a lot different than for a knife blade—they are straight and one-sided. When I get to some knives, especially those with a bit of recurve, I feel like I'm sailing in uncharted waters. I think sharpening is like a lot of physical activities, like cutting dovetails or throwing a curveball, you do it over and over so it becomes a reflex action and you don't have to think much about it.

Last edited:
No, some. But That's for those that enjoy tinkering. Now, sharpening my razor that's where it's accepted to get OCD. Still, you'll only get about 5-7 good shaves and then have to do it all over again. DM

At shows over a weekend of sharpening I may sharpen 50 knives. Of those maybe 1 will have s30v steel. A better steel. And not many stand and watch what I do. I take their name, knife, make & model. And I usually go home with a knife or 2 that the owner never came back. I may carry it for a year or 2 until the owner shows back up to claim it and pay me.
Now, ladies will come and hand me all their kitchen knives. And I will bet you my boots they will always come back for them. They don't dicker on the price. They are just sooo glad to find someone who will sharpen them. Scissors too. DM

Back