Buck Vanguard question for you guys.

your pics show a walnut dymondwood version and a cocabolo dymondwood version. dymondwood burned down so its a different company product now a days but to keep it simple its layers of birch wood dyed a color and laminated by epoxy of some sort together much like plywood in a way.

very strong and somewhat water resistant unlike real wood stabilized and sealed or not. its a good product for what it is.

the cocobolo version doesnt appear to be a current production from a quick search but im not a 192 expert by any means.

i also agree with danbot amazon isnt the best place to buy knives.....the dealers who pay to be here almost always have better prices in general and do a far better job.....

That's super interesting about the wood types! Thanks @jbmonkey! :]

This is from Amazon?:confused:
They don't support this site and you kinda take your chances with them too.

Yup. By saying it is available there, and citing a price, what you have is a deal spot. Which is against the rules. Editing it and the price out of the post would probably be a good idea.

Hi HarryD HarryD !! :) ❤ I am enjoying my Buck 110 SO much. ♡ I carry it everyday in a soft leather pouch I got for it. It's my favorite knife that I own!! ^_^ It is definitely getting It's fare share of use too, and it works like a charm!! :] Nice to see you in here! ^_^

That’s Awesome! I’m glad it is getting used again instead of laying in a drawer. Have a great day Sparkle.

Hey @JJ_Colt45! Very interesting. Yeah, I read on multiple websites/blogs that the sheath it comes with is garbage. And I totally fell in love with that feather sheath. I don't know much about it, except that it got great Amazon reviews and it looks REALLY sturdy in the photos. So I am excited to see how it holds up! :]
I personally don't think the Cabela's Guide Series 192's sheath is garbage. But like everything else, it really depends on what you compare it to. It is very functional, reasonably thick leather, finished nicely, and carries and protects the knife. Sparkly, you have already ordered so it's a mute point. Enjoy.

I personally don't think the Cabela's Guide Series 192's sheath is garbage. But like everything else, it really depends on what you compare it to. It is very functional, reasonably thick leather, finished nicely, and carries and protects the knife. Sparkly, you have already ordered so it's a mute point. Enjoy.

True that :]

Yup. By saying it is available there, and citing a price, what you have is a deal spot. Which is against the rules. Editing it and the price out of the post would probably be a good idea.
When the cheap 3 dollar and change knife from Walmart thread was active, that deal was endlessly discussed and I reported it in the same light as what you are saying. The mods didn't shut the thread down, or do anything about it.

Since the Cabela's exclusive vanguard has been mentioned but not shown, I'll toss this up for reference. It's not a great pic but it does show the sheath too. And yes, it's S30V steel.
gYJtOwt.jpg

Wait, sorry M marcinek I'm a bit confused. What is Amazon doing?

Amazon is not doing anything. But, if you say "I got knife X at non supporting knife retailer Y for Z dollars." that is what is considered a deal spot

"BladeForums.com stays open due to paid subscriptions from various member groups, including Dealers who help sponsor this site. A dealer who does not have a paid subscription is not allowed to advertise in any way, shape, or form. In the past, dealers have used 'shill' accounts to promote themselves & their products; as a result we've limited all dealer advertising to The Exchange or registered Dealers with active paid subscriptions."

The mods have pointed out that linking or not linking doesn't matter, and even hinting is not cool

https://www.bladeforums.com/help/site-rules/
8) No Deal Spotting
BladeForums.com stays open due to paid subscriptions from various member groups, including Dealers who help sponsor this site. A dealer who does not have a paid subscription is not allowed to advertise in any way, shape, or form. In the past, dealers have used 'shill' accounts to promote themselves & their products; as a result we've limited all dealer advertising to The Exchange or registered Dealers with active paid subscriptions.

The boilerplate for Deal spotting warnings is a bit clearer:
"Please do not post links to auctions, deals, bargains or other offsite promotions. Dealers who want to advertise are encouraged to purchase a Dealer membership, paid subscriptions keep BladeForums.com open.
We appreciate your support and hope you will work with us."

Leave the dealer name out of it. That includes hints.

"The more you know. Bing bing bing binnnng!" Just trying to keep you from running afoul of the mods.

Amazon is not doing anything. But, if you say "I got knife X at non supporting knife retailer Y for Z dollars." that is what is considered a deal spot

"BladeForums.com stays open due to paid subscriptions from various member groups, including Dealers who help sponsor this site. A dealer who does not have a paid subscription is not allowed to advertise in any way, shape, or form. In the past, dealers have used 'shill' accounts to promote themselves & their products; as a result we've limited all dealer advertising to The Exchange or registered Dealers with active paid subscriptions."

The mods have pointed out that linking or not linking doesn't matter, and even hinting is not cool

"The more you know. Bing bing bing binnnng!" Just trying to keep you from running afoul of the mods.

Oh, shoot, I didn't know that. I'll go fix it.

What happened to report and move on? Maybe send the member a private message to remind them of the rule? Instead the discussion of rule violations and the application of the deal spotting rule inevitably adds several off topic posts to the thread that distracts from the original topic which does indeed have knife content. Which I guess I myself am guilty of by posting this now.

Since the Cabela's exclusive vanguard has been mentioned but not shown, I'll toss this up for reference. It's not a great pic but it does show the sheath too. And yes, it's S30V steel.
gYJtOwt.jpg
Yeah on the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Series Vanguard (2nd knife down from top). It costs more because it is in S30V and I suspect has a nicer sheath. I have seen molded nylon sheaths with standard issue 192's. I think it's a pretty nice knife and I generally don't care for "black blades", but this one is okay to me.

Back