Buck's Large Trapper

looks like a double lockback but with each depression point/unlocking pushing part, not side by side so each lock can easily be unlocked without much effort.

if I'm looking at it right, very smart design....

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty cool. It was so dirty and gunked up. Took probably 45 min to scrub it then polish.
looks like a double lockback but with each depression point/unlocking pushing part, not side by side so each lock can easily be unlocked without much effort.

if I'm looking at it right, very smart design....

Last edited:
Thanks David. It does say new York on the back side of the blade.

Too bad Camillus knives ended. They seemed to have a good long run.

I'm not familiar with that type of lockback,but it is well thought out,no jamming fingers trying to unlock one blade while fighting with opisite lock bar,even stubby sausage fingers like mine could work it easily lol.

Razor, your exactly right about the 716. 'a well thought out model'. The tooling required to set up for it was likely challenging. Camillus, like
Buck has made knives for over 100 years. DM

Speaking of Camillus contracted Jumbo Trapper's: Here's one you don't see often:

Stamped on both tangs: Smith & Wesson USA, on the other side of one blade is stamped: Designed by Stewart A. Taylor. Serial Number 067 stamped on bolster exactly the same as the Bucks.
S&W.jpg
S&W1.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce, that's one nice Trapper. On the order of a David Yellow Horse. A Handsome
dress knife. DM

Last edited:
Two more:
Camillus 716y and 719y, 716y is the double lockback and the 719y the standard Jumbo Trapper that the Buck 334 was based on. Both smooth yellow delrin. I wish Buck had made these is yellow delrin, or even better, Westinghouse ivory (which, like the Buck 506 goes yellow with age) micarta. Missed opportunities.....

Camillus 716y ans 719 1.jpg Camillus 716y ans 719y.jpg

Bruce, I think Buck wanted to do more models that Camillus was set up for. But after 2000, there was chatter that Camillus was in financial
trouble. Thus, they backed off. You have some handsome Yello-Jakets. Thanks for showing these. DM

I ran across some Jumbo trappers shortly after reading this thread a week or so ago. They needed a new home so they left the shop and came to my home and collection.
49662229921_09d13a9abb_c_d.jpg

And with a couple of the other non Buck Jumbos in the collection. I was too lazy to open the display to get out the Buck Jumbo.

49662251221_8682b0cd4c_c_d.jpg

No way Ged, you have a 716! Those Remington Trapper Bullet series knives look great and your Remington Wildlife series knives. Did your
cocobola handle model come with that box or just the Wildlife series? Handsome Camillus Trappers. DM

l
David, the cocobola handle model came with a regular box and insert paper. The knife that came with the pictured box is the one above the cocobola knife's finger nick, or second from left with the cartridge insert in the handle. It came in the commemorative box that was celebrating the corporate headquarters of Remington moving to Madison North Carolina. That's what is printed on the "fat" blade. There are also two 1100 model shot gun jumbo trappers and a Ten Point Buck first production run jumbo. I do love the 716 David. I've been really thinking about replacing it in the sheath with my carry jumbo and carrying it around because of it's safety factor. I am using a Don Hume single magazine pouch for a jumbo carry sheath. The model number is D407-1. I enjoy the jumbo trapper model and will likely switch them out this spring. I bought the 716 to use and wouldn't mind seeing it well used.

Last edited:
Back