Bucks Lightweight Series Strength

Mentioning blade wobble is a recent knife perfectionist disorder. Having some play means nothing. As long as it locks up tight it should be fine.
DM

Depends on how much. Least amount to none is desirable. Don't want to get to a point of no standards either. :)

Typically there is a tad of play. That would be acceptable. LT's are riveted not screw together. They are also 20 something dollars. 10 sometimes at the sale for the standard model

Typically there is a tad of play. That would be acceptable. LT's are riveted not screw together. They are also 20 something dollars. 10 sometimes at the sale for the standard model

I understand. Was just trying to figure out the pin strength perception or experience wise. I know its hard to guess. I kinda already thought they were probably not as strong, but they certainly don't seem weak by any means. Not downing any of them really.
I still haven't made up my mind, but maybe soon.

I really like the LT or the aluminum-framed one with a clip and *thumbstud which I think is exclusive to a non-supporting webstore. I think the aluminum one is my favorite of the bunch as it has enough heft and bulk to feel like the classic brass but it cuts down a lot of weight, so it feels like a premium knife without the brass weight. I see David Martin mentioned it already.

Having said that, I have an orange LT that gets pocket time for hiking and backpacking because it's still lighter, reliable, and cheap enough that I don't care if it falls in a stream or what-have-you. I have no worries about the stress the LT model can handle even with the stock blade wobble it seems like the initial runs had (not bad but noticeable).

Not sure where you're located but I would be willing to mail a few 110's I have, no longer have a slim but it was my least favorite, if you want a touch and feel in person of them. Just cover return shipping.

*Edit: the thumbstud on the buck 110 aluminum was a later edition that I didn't catch originally as there is no nailnick so I assumed it was standard, but I picked it up 2nd-hand and it had the kwik stud (think that's the one).

Last edited:
I don't see anything as condensending
Maybe I'm wrong. Stating that the very mention of blade play constitutes a disorder sure seems condescending. By that standard a LOT, maybe most, of people here on BF have the "recent knife perfectionist disorder."

Anyway lets not continue this. We were having a perfectly nice conversation.

Maybe I'm wrong. Stating that the very mention of blade play constitutes a disorder sure seems condescending. By that standard a LOT, maybe most, of people here on BF have the "recent knife perfectionist disorder."

Anyway lets not continue this. We were having a perfectly nice conversation.
I was just saying I dont see anything condescending in Davids post. Not trying to argue or anything. Davids help on here with his information, support of the BCCI club etc, etc, etc doesnt need your post about David being Condescending. If you enjoy nice conversations dont knock someones post, especially someone who supports the Buck Collectors Club and Buck Knives in general more than 99 percent of the people on here.

I really like the LT or the aluminum-framed one with a clip and *thumbstud which I think is exclusive to a non-supporting webstore. I think the aluminum one is my favorite of the bunch as it has enough heft and bulk to feel like the classic brass but it cuts down a lot of weight, so it feels like a premium knife without the brass weight. I see David Martin mentioned it already.

Having said that, I have an orange LT that gets pocket time for hiking and backpacking because it's still lighter, reliable, and cheap enough that I don't care if it falls in a stream or what-have-you. I have no worries about the stress the LT model can handle even with the stock blade wobble it seems like the initial runs had (not bad but noticeable).

Not sure where you're located but I would be willing to mail a few 110's I have, no longer have a slim but it was my least favorite, if you want a touch and feel in person of them. Just cover return shipping.

*Edit: the thumbstud on the buck 110 aluminum was a later edition that I didn't catch originally as there is no nailnick so I assumed it was standard, but I picked it up 2nd-hand and it had the kwik stud (think that's the one).

I appreciate the offer but I'd rather not take you up on it (respectively) as I have a decent enough idea of them with what I know about the standard model, just don't have much experience until recently with the LT. I doubt either will be a problem.

Thank you sincerely though. Very generous.

I just talked to him and mentioned a belt knife and he said he'd "rather not have a belt knife as it would catch on things and bd in the way when getting on his side." Fair enough. I think I will get him the 112 LT which can be pocket carrie pretty easily instead.

Although I must say the LT in the cordura sheath is very low profile. I had never carried one in cordura until this 110 LT and its very low profile.
I dont think he wouldn't use the knife with a clip, so thats probably out.

I'll let you know what I go with and how he likes it. I do appreciate the conversation and attention/comsideration to what I was actually asking about. Feel free to continue to contribute as it may help someone else with similar questions?

I just talked to him and mentioned a belt knife and he said he'd "rather not have a belt knife as it would catch on things and bd in the way when getting on his side." Fair enough. I think I will get him the 112 LT which can be pocket carrie pretty easily instead.

Although I must say the LT in the cordura sheath is very low profile. I had never carried one in cordura until this 110 LT and its very low profile.
I dont think he wouldn't use the knife with a clip, so thats probably out.

I'll let you know what I go with and how he likes it. I do appreciate the conversation and attention/comsideration to what I was actually asking about. Feel free to continue to contribute as it may help someone else with similar questions?

For pocket carry, I really liked the LT with a bail and lanyard. I do this on a few different long folders that I don't have a clip on as it lets then sit comfortably in the pocket and move around a little better to accommodate my movements, IMO, over a long knife with pocket clip that seems to get into weird angles regularly for me. The bail does make it a little noisy if you want silent operation. Side benefit, the lanyards help you see where you dropped the thing in long grass as it usually floats a little bit off the ground. Kind of why I have orange on orange, I shouldn't be able to lose it unless it goes into the lake or river.

3n8qbnhl.jpg

If you ask me the 110LT is stronger than any folder needs to be, but being plastic I think it's a matter of mindset.
" plastic " feels cheep and doesn't instill a lot of confidence, but if you just use it without thought you'll learn it's just fine.

The aluminum frame 110 would be an excellent choice. I have one that Buck offered as the 'Buck of the month'. It is light and strong.
I have used it a lot and it has no blade wobble. That Smoke Jumper model is gem too. DM
The Smoke Jumper model is on my buck list, Bucks CPM-154 is fantastic.

Ive been using the 486 and the 110 slim for a few years now in construction and have no complaints. Got my 72yr old dad a 110 slim and he carries in right front pocket daily, but doesnt clip it.

Just to update for those that gave advice or anyone interest. I let him choose between the 110 LT and the 112 LT. He chose the 112 LT and seems pretty excited about it which thrills me.
He was co concerned the sheath would stick out too much, but these come with cordura sheaths which makes them ride slim on the belt. He handled if and said, "whoa its light too".

:)
Thanks for help thinking it through and all.

Just to update for those that gave advice or anyone interest. I let him choose between the 110 LT and the 112 LT. He chose the 112 LT and seems pretty excited about it which thrills me.
He was co concerned the sheath would stick out too much, but these come with cordura sheaths which makes them ride slim on the belt. He handled if and said, "whoa its light too".

:)
Thanks for help thinking it through and all.
Excellent choice :thumbsup: :)

Also, while we're on the LT series.

I bought a Kwik-stud. I wouldn't normally use one on a traditional Buck, but thought I'd try it on one of the LT series. I actually bought it for the 112 but dad didn't want it.

I just tried it on the 110 LT and put it right where the blade meets the ricasso, at the top of course.
Like I said, I wouldn't put it on one of the more traditional models, but wow its nice on this one. Works just as it should and reminds me of several modern folders. It deployed so smooth and stayed put on my thumb.

For the record it sucks going in and out of the sheath now. That obviously occurred to me before even ordering, so no surprise. Thats okay, like I said I originally bought it for pocket carrying the 112 LT so it would have been fine. I plan to add a clip to the 110 LT and see if I like it, or just use the sheath, pocket, or in the lid of my pack. So all is good.

Why don't I just get another 112 LT you ask? I probably will at their price point. But thought I might try the 112 slim pro, and it already has a thumb stud.

So both 110 and 112 LT series are nice. And the thumbstud works great on it too.

I think Buck should have run a separate line of the lts with pocket clips and thumbstud. yeah we have the slims and they are nice for the money and do all of that, but the lightweight full sizes 110 lts with pocket clip and thumbstud sure would get a lot of pocket time from me. sometimes I like the full sized grip. the slim doesnt fit that bill.

upgraded on steel to cpm154...and not much would bump it out of my pocket. yeah I could do my own rigged version of both, minus the steel, with ease......but I'd just prefer a factory version.

Back