1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build the ultimate fixed blade EDC

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by valknut, May 17, 2018.

1. valknut

valknut Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    Whats up everyone. So im having a hell of a time deciding some things and could use yalls input. (Im not trying to sell anyone anything) think it would be cool to have a knife built "by the people" so, If you could design the "ultimate" fixed blade EDC what would it look like?
    Im thinking 7-7.5in OAL with a 3 in cutting edge and 4-4.5 in handle.
    Steel, high carbon or stainless. Maybe a semi stainless like 3v, cruwear, a2?
    Blade shape
    drop point? Clip point? Harpoon?
    Handle design
    And arcing handle like this?
    [​IMG]
    Or a more contoured handle like this?
    [​IMG]
    Or maybe a more bulbus handle like the murray carter neck knife

This is what im thinking
    [​IMG]
    With g10 scales, corby bolts, and either m390,s35vn, or my personal favorite cruwear.

Like i said im not trying to be a salesman or anything and if this is against the rules please remove. Just like getting input

2. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary

Jan 12, 2013
    3.75” Sheepsfoot M390 Blade, full flat grind, 0.20 blade stock
    4” white twill CF handle, zirc bolster, ivory micarta liners, two mosaic pins
    Crowned spine, rounded handle with slight index finger groove
    Sharpening notch

Sonnydaze and valknut like this.
  3. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Have you thought about this a little? Maybe be a bit more specific?:):p

Seriously though, why sheepsfoot?

b00n and valknut like this.
  4. valknut

Feb 18, 2016
    I like the way that sounds alot

danbot likes this.
  5. danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    I like the way it sounds a lot too! Just not sure on the sheepsfoot blade. I haven't really used them much.

valknut likes this.
  6. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2015
    NVM

valknut likes this.
  7. joeG26er

joeG26er

Mar 29, 2000
    Leaving a flat section on the spine close to the guard for fire steel strikes

valknut likes this.
  8. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Non-intrusive, yet enough to comfortably grab and use is going to be the operative balancing act in my mind.

My ultimate EDC does not yet exist. To me, it would have been a Becker BK14, but instead of it having the ESEE Izula handle, it would have the Izula 2 handle.
    For EDC tasks, i like steels that I can sharpen easily so something like 1075 or maybe AEB-L, or so would be about right.
    I'd prefer micarta to G10.

But as a basis, as far as I'd be concerned, Becker's small blade shape (the one we find on the BK11, 14, formerly on the 24) attached to an Izula 2 shaped handle is something I've been asking Kabar to produce for years. If not exactly that, it should at least give an idea for what I'd think to be ideal in terms of dimensions.

valknut likes this.
  9. danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    Definitely must be carried in a horizontal cross draw style sheath like @Horsewright makes!:thumbsup:

10. Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi

May 25, 2017
    I'm having my ultimate knife made for me by a bladesmith who will be displaying his wares at the Blade Show. It is an 8 inch dagger, out of M390, with Black Micarta handles with Red Liners, full tapered tang, Black Leather Sheath.

Cost: Approx $800

valknut likes this.
  11. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    This looks like a great design.

valknut likes this.
  12. valknut

Feb 18, 2016
    Thats basically what i came up with in my drawing.
    Except instead of the 3.8in handle im going with 4ish

13. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    This would be mine.
    [​IMG]
    It's a small turn of the century style Bowie hunter
    8¾ oal
    4¼ handle
    With stag or jigged bone scales
    4-3/8 long, 1"wide, 1/8" thick , 2/3 sabre ground 1095 blade.
    1/16 thick brass guard, 3 brass rivets.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Charlie Mike and valknut like this.
  14. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2013
    The "positives" about sheepsfoot (and wharncliff) blades are --

- lacking a "point", they "appear" less threatening in the eyes of non-knife folks and more like "utility knives for slicing open bags, clampacks, etc.

- lacking a "point", it's really hard to stab yourself or someone else "accidentally". Rigger's knives, sailor's knives, yachting knives, whatever you want to call them have sheepsfoot/wharncliff blades for safety - a stumble on a pitching/rolling deck can easily lead to the user or shipmate accidentally being stabbed.

- the sheepsfoot blade is a lot easier to use as a flat surface pull cutter, e.g., a leather working, poster board slicing (pull cuts on a table top) than a clip, spear, skinner, etc. Not that those blades can't be used for the same tasks, I just find a sheepsfoot or wharncliff blade works better for those types of cuts.

- I find sheepsfoot and wharncliff blade easier to sharpen than blade shapes that have a curved cutting edge as the angle of hold/contact remains the same for the entire stroke on a flat stone.

The only real negative I can come up with for a sheepsfoot or wharncliff blade is "positive #2" - no point for piercing cuts or stabbing when those actions are necessary.

Aside - Is the plural of sheepsfoot - sheepsfeet or sheepfoots?

valknut and danbot like this.
  15. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I can't EDC a fixed blade here in MI but I'll play along with my ultimate EDC fixed blade.

Blade = I like a drop point, spear, or sheepsfoot. Let's go about 3.5" of 154CM, A2, O1. I don't need the latest and greatest steel. I wouldn't go HC for EDC unless you want a 1095 version to keep costs down. Full, flat grind is fine.

Handle = I like a more contoured handle. Black G10 + orange liner and 4.15" in length. I'm a fan of synthetics. G10 or micarta. Liners make a nice color splash. For this size blade, I'll lose the lanyard hole and exposed skull crusher.

I like the finger guard and thumb ramp the Nimravus has. I'm a big thumb ramp fan. I can understand losing the thumb ramp on a EDC blade. But you did say "ultimate fixed blade edc".

I'm happy with a nice kydex sheath for various mounting options.

I love the overall shape and line of the Nimravus, just a few changes and tweaks quite frankly.

valknut likes this.
  16. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    Here it is for me..in cpm3v ...has been one of my favorites so far
    [​IMG] I need to make one for myself..have some silver twill CF and some marble CF

danbot and valknut like this.
  17. valknut

Feb 18, 2016
    Liking these responses gents. Ill change up my design to make it a modified sheapsfoot.
    Gazz, for one redwings suck, go bolts :D
    I like where your going but that's getting outside the EDC range and more into full size CM concealed carry :D

Charlie Mike and gazz98 like this.
  18. redsquid2

redsquid2 Watcher of TV Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    E4AF0BD3-48DA-4AB8-A176-34D862379DCC.jpeg I have had some puukkos about .100” or thinner. They all worked fine for most tasks. So it depends how you define EDC, but I never needed anything thicker than that.

valknut and Natlek like this.
  19. Halador

Halador

Jul 6, 2013
    For me, the ultimate EDC would have to be something that I could be confident in no matter the use or situation. That means it has to be large enough to do most tasks I could ask of it while being small enough that it doesn't get in the way and doesn't scare too many people. So keep it within pocket knife size range.

I would say 4" blade exactly, with a 3.8ish cutting edge (must have a choil for easy sharprning), 5/32" thickness and 1.5ish hight. That way it's big enough to do things like bushcrafting style chores if ever the person were in a survival type situation, as well as being able to defend oneself should the need ever arise.
    I think a contoured handle of ~4.5" is probably the best for various grips and overall comfort. I would like to see it have a tapered tang for strength and micarta or maybe G-10 handles with finger notches at the front. These notches are common on bushcraft knives but will also be more helpful in kitchen and food prep use, as a pinch grip is most recommended on chefs knives.
    If the steel were 3V I think that would be ideal, because it is very tough, holds a great edge, isn't super difficult to sharpen, and is almost stainless which is a big benefit if this is truly an EDC knife.

For blade shape and grind I think a high (80% for strength in use and for clamp sharpening systems) saber ground drop point is probably the most universal and best for EDC tasks in all environments. It is strong, will pierce well, and can handle slicing tasks too. Again, think bushcraft style, those knives are usually drop or spear point because they have to do almost everything. For comfort, I would also like to see a rounded spine on the tip half of the spine in case of detail work where I would need to put a finger on the blade, and a short row of jimping right in front of the handle to facilitate grip.

For the sake of safety I would like to see a small, integral guard on mine just behind the sharpening choil, that way in bad or extreme or careless situations there is less chance of your hand sliding onto the edge.

valknut likes this.
  20. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I'm a Bolts fan to a certain extent as long as Steve Y is there. :p He has a done a great job in TB.

I edited my post to chop down the dimensions and make it more EDC friendly.

valknut likes this.