Bush Waki Project

I'll get the picture links replaced!

Here's what the upcoming year will look like

I'm going to do one more major run before I have to stop making knives in April and being studying full time for the Bar which will be in July. That run will 100% be the Tyrant Bowie. I already have the scales made for it and Ill be starting a pre- order thread soon. The massive upfront costs of the steel- over 1K per sheet along with the CNC costs mean that a pre order with a deposit is going to be the only way to bring this model to life. With that said, the turn around time will be great as the CNC work drastically reduces the amount of time I have to spend at the grinder. Also I feel that the quality and overall value of the Tyrant Bowie will speak for itself. This blade will be able to hang with anything on the market, regardless of price range.

After the Tyrant Bowie run I will have to stop making knives until next August.

When I get back to work after the Bar the first thing on the docket will be the Bush Waki followed by the Tyrant Kukri.

While Ill always offer my flagship models like the Fell Beast, Fjord Hiker, and Bolos, after I graduate my focus will be on bringing to life some really special designs in a high quality, CNC aided, small production format. I'll have alot less shop time when Im working at a law firm so I'm going to hire on some help to keep the flagship models going and save my personal shop time for making things that satisfy my creative drive.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to seeing the bowie and kukri. You doing 3V for the bowie?

I'm currently working on making a finalized prototype of the Tyrant Bowie so everyone can see exactly what the production version will look like but for now, here is the old prototype as well as a CAD drawing of the new one.

Specs will be 18.5in overall, 13.5 in blade that flares to 2.5 inches at the sweet spot, full flat grind, .275 thick CPM 3V HT to 60-61.

Below is a picture of the original prototype. Aside from being made from .275 3V, the blade shape and general look are basically identical. The major changes will be
(1) A new handle
The production model will feature an entirely new handle that is a little smaller overall so it can be used for knife tasks, but still geared towards chopping. I've included pictures of the new scales. They are available in 3 colors of G10 and black terotuf. The new scales have a hidden lanyard hole.
(2) Jimping + thumb ramp
The production model will have a small thumb ramp with jimping
(3) Logo
Production blades will have a logo. Prototype was sterile.
(4) Blade Finish
I haven't completely decided yet but I might go with a stonewashed finish instead of satin. Or I can offer both.

MolHfgx.jpg

lVqTsSm.jpg

PGObfI6.jpg

pFZLLo4.jpg

HlEBGyj.png

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't know you did a proto of the bowie. What steel is that one? Looks fantastic.

I suggest less ricasso on sharpened side of the bowie so it will be easier to control on small tasks, closer to the handle.

Damn, I didn't know you did a proto of the bowie. What steel is that one? Looks fantastic.
The Proto was made from 52100. It was a beastly blade but the thicker 3V stock will be a big improvement

Next 3 blades all sound like winners.

Have anything you can share design or prototype wise on the kukri?

Keeping my eyes open for this bowie thread.

I haven't made a prototype yet but I'll share the design. Its going to be made from a massive chunk of very thick 3V, Either full .375 or .312 stock. But a fuller, swedge, and stick tang will all bring the weight down for a functional but extremely hard hitting blade.

The handle will be really cool. I'm planning on using a stick tang with two scales that will sit on each side of the tang and look like a single solid block when complete. The scales will be secured with screws or corby bolts.

It will be a really large Kurki with a 14.5in blade and will clock in at about 20 inches overall.

8kqD8iZ.png

It would be difficult for me not to buy one! I would go for either steel. I have 4 slimline machetes in 3V and one in INFI. I would prefer 3V over anything, from past experience with other steels. It just performs! Good corrosion resistance is a huge plus where I live too.

Kukri looks awesome! I will say I like the thought of one in a slightly cheaper steel to keep cost down though

Hunter,

I definitely want in on the kukris...any chance you would consider a few in 80CrV2 to reduce the cost a bit? Funds are just so tight. Even though it's so far away, with my plans for the future, I don't see funds increasing. Anyway, just a thought, but you're killing it with both designs man.

Hunter,

I definitely want in on the kukris...any chance you would consider a few in 80CrV2 to reduce the cost a bit? Funds are just so tight. Even though it's so far away, with my plans for the future, I don't see funds increasing. Anyway, just a thought, but you're killing it with both designs man.

I will offer another less expensive steel option. The Kukri will require loads of CNC work that will already drive the cost up really high. Add in 3V and you're generally looking at a 50% increase in price just from the material cost and extra tooling expense. 3V is the best but its prohibitively expensive when you get into really big blades. Doing a premium 3V model with a perfect surface finish and all the bells an whistles combined with a 80CrV2 model with a "user grade or field grade" finish might be the way to go.

Thanks Hunter. I appreciate you entertaining my idea there. And I know you cant make it perfect for everyone. I am super impressed with your designs though. They're really good looking blades.

Back