Bushcraft in Full Flat Grind S90V !!!

DavidZ

Gold Member
Sal - How is this knife coming? :)

An old thread came back from the grave yesterday in this forum, and it reminded me of the sweet dreams I had of this knife coming to life.

It gave me goose bumps when I originally read this quote from Sal:

I still plan a full flat S90V version. Just have too much going on right now.

sal

Please Oh Please tell us some news. If I see them ever available, I will be the one with the shredded jean pocket material in my hand as I pull my wallet out! :D

Who else is in for a great blade like this? :thumbup:

Hi David,

It's still on the project list but we still question the size of the market for the model. We have many models in-the-works competing for production time. Let's see how this thread progresses. I'll make some inquiries with staff.

sal

What would be the advantages of S90V over 01 tool steel in a bushcraft knife? Or disadvantages.
I'm not looking to shoot any hopes down, just looking for some metallurgical (is that a word?) info on a knife that I am considering.

Hi David,

It's still on the project list but we still question the size of the market for the model. We have many models in-the-works competing for production time. Let's see how this thread progresses. I'll make some inquiries with staff.

sal

Thanks for the reply. There is hope! :eek: As you know from my posts on the forums here, this is my favorite knife for the bushcraft sport. It is the only knife that I have a spare for. :)

OK - Spyderco fans and fellow forumites, let's give Sal some encouragement to make this model a reality! :thumbup:​

Hi David,

sal

Count me in!!! :thumbup:

What would be the advantages of S90V over 01 tool steel in a bushcraft knife? Or disadvantages.
I'm not looking to shoot any hopes down, just looking for some metallurgical (is that a word?) info on a knife that I am considering.
There is no advantage to having s90v instead of O1 IN A BUSHCRAFT KNIFE. The s90v version is more aimed at shpwcasing the wonderfully designed handle. Don't think of it as a bushcraft knife, that is merely the platform.

For bushcraft work, give me 1095. Don't need an "exotic" steel to baton wood and whittle feather sticks. Plus easy field sharpening is a must for me.

There is no advantage to having s90v instead of O1 IN A BUSHCRAFT KNIFE. The s90v version is more aimed at shpwcasing the wonderfully designed handle. Don't think of it as a bushcraft knife, that is merely the platform.

That was my thought as well. It would be nice to see in S90v.
I think I'll pick up an 01 for a camp knife to hold me over till the S90v drops... ;)

Hi Barman,

I'll try to be short. The Bushcraft sport, popularized by Ray Mears of the UK is considerablly more than camping. Bushcrafters go out into wild environments with a knife, a firestarter, and little else. They spend a month or more living in the "bush". They catch and prepare their own food (traps, fishing, etc., make their own utensils and bowls. Fashion their own shelters......all with a knife. The knife must be purpose designed and created to be able to be used for many hours each day, every day. A handle that creates "hot spots" will increase the discomfort of those spots. 01 or similar steel is preferred because sharpening will be necessary with such prolonged use and 01 is fairly easy to sharpen. The "Scandi" grind is most often used on Bushcraft knives because that grind works exceptionally well when forming wood (spoons, bowls, etc.)

With that said, The guys at Bushcraft UK do that. As KNaB mentioned, the handle that Chris Claycomb created is close to ideal, the river rock, exceptional for most any activity. But many are not Bushcrafters, and would like the long term use comfort of the Claycomb handle, but with a more exotic steel and the efficiency of a full flat grind. I know I would.

sal

The scales on the original Bushcraft were some of the best ever offered by any knife manufacturer - period. The contouring and ergonomics were beautiful and functional. I agree with Sal that a "true" bushcraft knife should have a scandi grind and use a low-carbide steel like O1 or 1095. This makes is much easier to maintain in the field.

However, the allure of a FFG S90v blade is undeniable. This would end up being something like a love-child of the Phil Wilson and Temp2. :eek:
Sign me up for one!

TedP

I am in for two.
Sal, I have bought at least two of every S90v Spyderco has produced.
And am not alone..............
Really looking forward to the S90v Manix2 XL.
And thanks again for going through all the extra effort required in grinding this steel for us!
It is very much appreciated!

Hi Barman,

I'll try to be short. The Bushcraft sport, popularized by Ray Mears of the UK is considerablly more than camping. Bushcrafters go out into wild environments with a knife, a firestarter, and little else. They spend a month or more living in the "bush". They catch and prepare their own food (traps, fishing, etc., make their own utensils and bowls. Fashion their own shelters......all with a knife. The knife must be purpose designed and created to be able to be used for many hours each day, every day. A handle that creates "hot spots" will increase the discomfort of those spots. 01 or similar steel is preferred because sharpening will be necessary with such prolonged use and 01 is fairly easy to sharpen. The "Scandi" grind is most often used on Bushcraft knives because that grind works exceptionally well when forming wood (spoons, bowls, etc.)

With that said, The guys at Bushcraft UK do that. As KNaB mentioned, the handle that Chris Claycomb created is close to ideal, the river rock, exceptional for most any activity. But many are not Bushcrafters, and would like the long term use comfort of the Claycomb handle, but with a more exotic steel and the efficiency of a full flat grind. I know I would.

sal

Didn't mean to marginalize Bushcraft or its practitioners. Much respect for the craft.
My loose term camping comes from over a decade of carrying a KaBar and an Alice pack on government sponsored camping trips for weeks at a time in every climate imaginable thanks to you great American taxpayers. (and if it weren't for the M-60 strapped on my back I might have actually enjoyed it. ;) )
I still do week long excursions in remote locations with nothing more than fits in a lightweight pack. Not necessarily Bushcraft but definitely a primitive situation where a proper blade would be advantageous.

Back