Busses and Whisky

open it, drink a small portion of it and then put it away in the back of the cabinet. Liquors do oxidize in the bottle and most actually get better with time in the bottle. Some get worse but that is rare. I had the exact same thing happen with Balvenie 15 year single sherry cask. Most are great. I got one that was so dark you could not see through it. I opened it and I got nothing but Sulphur(rubber band taste). I put it away for several months and when I went back to it, it was delicious. Will that happen with batch 64 abunadh, I don't know for sure, but it could. I am still working on batches 52, 53, 54, and 56.
I have nothing to lose in trying it because this bottle has ruined this one for me. If this had been my first experience with it I would've called it shit and never remembered it. We shall revisit in the future. Stupid question - Is there any point in pulling the cork and letting it breath? any particular amount of time make a difference?

I have nothing to lose in trying it because this bottle has ruined this one for me. If this had been my first experience with it I would've called it shit and never remembered it. We shall revisit in the future. Stupid question - Is there any point in pulling the cork and letting it breath? any particular amount of time make a difference?
Sounds like a good question to me, not stupid at all. I'd like to know as well

No it won't make to much a difference. Alcohol will evaporate faster, but since there isn't much movement in the bottle so oxidation won't speed up much. Just put it away and forget about it. To bad that that batch is so bad. I have not been impressed with the 60's batches. I had 61 and 62.

You can switch to Tamdhu batch strength. It is excellent.
Tamdhu Batch strength is on the way! Found another place to ship to me - Also threw in a Glenrothes Sherry Cask Reserve just for fun. It was on some sherry bomb lists, cheap enough to be worth trying. I also saw, Glenfarclas 105 was popular too. Also a Kavalan so looked them up, they are on another pricing level of their own LOL!
It made me ill to see A'bunadh at the top of every sherry bomb list - I wanted to yell "stay away from 64" ... but it's going to hit people sideways like a 2X4 with nails in it... or a rubber chicken. i did a bunch of shaking and venting and stuck it in the basement. I'll pull it out around my birthday in Feb and see how you did :D

Update: Man, I've found a great source! I ordered 2 bottles barely 24 hours ago and they are in my hands already! So with Cobalt's suggestions and 1 day service- I could be in deep shit :D

Last edited:
I tried the Tamdhu this evening, one small pour. This was much more enjoyable than the Abunadh.
I think I need to get a bottle of sherry, study the flavor. That's one of my drawbacks, not knowing what I am tasting, smelling, don't recall ever having had it. I got to thinking this evening that this is kind of getting more confusing than it is narrowed down some in finding exactly what it is I like. This is supposed to be a quality sherry finish, and it is. It's batch strength, which is certainly a plus for me. It's nice and dark, lot of character and some obvious flavors I can't identify that's bugging me. But, lot of flavor and nice! For the high ABV it's not hot in the least for me. Good stuff! Looking forward to popping open that Glenrothes shortly. I've found some really positive comments on it and for it's price? I hope so, might be about the cheapest thing I've bought so far.

I opened the Hell-Cat Maggie last night. It seems like an uncomplicated, easy to drink whiskey, but I'm not seeing what Jerry saw in it. Next time I want something from the more affordable end of the spectrum, I think I'll save a couple bucks and get Jim Beam Black, or get a bottle of Sazerac Rye for a few dollars more.

Quick update: I got some malt o meal cereal and it's disgustingly delicious. S'mores flavor for those interested.

I opened the Hell-Cat Maggie last night. It seems like an uncomplicated, easy to drink whiskey, but I'm not seeing what Jerry saw in it. Next time I want something from the more affordable end of the spectrum, I think I'll save a couple bucks and get Jim Beam Black, or get a bottle of Sazerac Rye for a few dollars more.
Yea, for a guy who can have all the JWB he could ever want he does back flips for the screw cap shelf LOL!!!

I was favorably impressed with that glenrothes sherry cask reserve. I think the higher than normal abv helps. I don't normally care for glenrothes because of the lower abv's

Yea, for a guy who can have all the JWB he could ever want he does back flips for the screw cap shelf LOL!!!

I almost think it was a clue in his latest "booze and cigars" and "Only drinking can save you!!!!!" tease.
Let's see -- Maggie was a Dead Rabbit and an enemy of the Bowery Boys and Bill the Butcher. And she was played by Cara Seymour in Gangs of New York What else?

I almost think it was a clue in his latest "booze and cigars" and "Only drinking can save you!!!!!" tease.
Let's see -- Maggie was a Dead Rabbit and an enemy of the Bowery Boys and Bill the Butcher. And she was played by Cara Seymour in Gangs of New York What else?
Well, the lore described her as filing her teeth into points and brass claws (War Boar?) on her fingers for fighting and biting, cussed like a sailor and could drink with the best, could steal, fight and rumble like a man- IDK, the crazy guy could take almost any old dirt path on this adventure. Hey, you're the one with the codes for the security cameras :D ... That was a great movie that when I think of it brings me around to Bill the Butcher every time -

Told you you would like it. To bad about the abunadh B64 though
I was working on a list this evening of all the bottles I've had or tried, went through this thread to see all the ones I've posted pics of. My first Abunadh was batch 62, had 2 bottles of that then, from the same place got this 64.
I'm working the Tamdhu this evening and I'm going to call it the top end of the sherry barrel influences, does that seem a fair statement?
After going through my list, I got to tell you, first, it's much longer than I thought and second, if you haven't had that Nikka Pure Malt, you gotta try it, I almost killed that bottle last weekend. and btw- bottle count is 29 different bottles LOLOLO!!! ~ not bad for a rookie eh? :D I guess I've developed an interest just a fuzz.

The way you're going, soon enough you're going to have to make some hard choices between getting new INFI and getting new whisky. That's when your character will really be tested. :D

I was working on a list this evening of all the bottles I've had or tried, went through this thread to see all the ones I've posted pics of. My first Abunadh was batch 62, had 2 bottles of that then, from the same place got this 64.
I'm working the Tamdhu this evening and I'm going to call it the top end of the sherry barrel influences, does that seem a fair statement?
After going through my list, I got to tell you, first, it's much longer than I thought and second, if you haven't had that Nikka Pure Malt, you gotta try it, I almost killed that bottle last weekend. and btw- bottle count is 29 different bottles LOLOLO!!! ~ not bad for a rookie eh? :D I guess I've developed an interest just a fuzz.

Fair statement on Tamdhu. I still have a bottle of batch 1.

Nikka pure malt, won whisky of the year, for murray whisky bible, I think. Great stuff. My personal favorite though is Nikka from the barrel.

Picked up bottle #30 over the weekend - still consulting on this one. Shout out to all you Texans, one of your own famous distilleries Balcones, I grabbed their "Texas Malt" - I find it amazing how you can age a single malt in 24 months to look like crude. You got some serious temps working hard for ya in the Lonestar.

Picked up bottle #30 over the weekend - still consulting on this one. Shout out to all you Texans, one of your own famous distilleries Balcones, I grabbed their "Texas Malt" - I find it amazing how you can age a single malt in 24 months to look like crude. You got some serious temps working hard for ya in the Lonestar.

The heat. The liquor ages more in higher heat areas.

Watching a new documentary available on Amazon Prime, titled "Scotch: A Golden Dream"

Well done, I'm very much enjoying it, about halfway through and I'd highly recommend it!!! :thumbsup:

Watching a new documentary available on Amazon Prime, titled "Scotch: A Golden Dream"

Well done, I'm very much enjoying it, about halfway through and I'd highly recommend it!!! :thumbsup:
My buddy watched it the other day and said it was pretty good, I'll have to put it in my list

Back