Button compass

bladefrienzy

Gold Member
Does anybody make a good button compass? I would like one, or one of the watch band models, the ones that slip on a watch band. Had a booboo with mine last one today, been looking for it seems the gbaby put it under my recliner, went to get up and crunch. I know she shouldn't be playing with it, but what can ya say to a 2 yr old who's favorite toys are flashlights, compasses and her big plastic SAK. She even has a back pack .

Here she is teaching papaw how to use her Sharpmaker.
Picture084.jpg

Telling me how to improve my technique.
Picture083.jpg

I've already made her 2 real knives, put up for later years ,no doubt.
I showed her how to use her little cheap cammenga copy a few days ago and she liked my compass better so she swiped it. Women in my family tend to do that. My wife used to open my boxes before i even got home, I would walk in the door to hear. "I want this one".

Most of my compasses are Silva or Suunto. Oddly, the only Brunton I have is a 9050. I remember I bought it due to the protective cover. I don't find the clip that handy myself. I also had an old Suunto Gem at one time. Probably still in the MI u.p.
9050.jpg

Several companies carry the MARBELS all brass compass. I have a
couple and they are very tough and accurate. I got mine from DLT and the forum owner's store.
Ron Athay

I've already made her 2 real knives, put up for later years ,no doubt.
I showed her how to use her little cheap cammenga copy a few days ago and she liked my compass better so she swiped it. Women in my family tend to do that. My wife used to open my boxes before i even got home, I would walk in the door to hear. "I want this one".

That tyke is really adorable, and it sounds like the women in your family are CLOSELY related to the ones in my family, ha hah. Lucky man.:)

Oh... I am sorry... I thought someone sat on their compass! Never mind!

My Magellan GPS can project a compass. I was trying to explain it's use to some young fellow. Do they ever see a compass in school any more? Of course, then I tried to find a decent one...

Stainz

Stainz what do you mean? I crushed it with a recliner? Sorry, a bit slow ...Butt-on compass :).My Garmin has a compass also, but still like to have a compass around. Sorry, I do know I rambled a good bit in the post, but thought it was cute enough to leave it that way.

Last edited:
I have a Brunton watch band compass. It works decently well and has taken a good bit of abuse in the last year. The rubber housing slides around on my watch band (Timex Ironman). The plastic cover has a coating of light scratches. Neither is a big deal. Ordered from 1sks.

The trunords mentioned above are indestructible fro the most part. You can't go wrong.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have no problem with Suunto's, Silva, or Brunton, but I never heard of the Tru-Nord brand. Would they be better than the Marbles that look similar?

I think the current Marbles compasses are fancy brass housings with the same liquid-filled button compass that you would buy from Suunto or Brunton or ??? for $5. Not 100% sure about this, though.

The tru-nord are not liquid filled and just a good DURABLE compass for general directions.

If I was orientiering I would use a Silva Ranger. Used one for years back in my forestry days and found them to be the most accurate and easiest to use.

Good information on compasses. Thanks for the nice post. SWMBO was looking over my shoulder before work and she noticed the cutie pie with the magic pointing finger:) and noted how her pretty hair looked so much like our girls at that age.
Our girls, (now 13 and 18), still have that magic finger and our Crock Sticks are their favorite way to sharpen their knives too.

Mark

also, that plastic SAK is cool, both of my nephews got one on their birthdays. Though the older(7) got his first real knife this year. A stockman. Him and his daddy have been whittling up a storm:)

Last edited:
Back