1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by tjweeks, Aug 22, 2019.

1. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Why wouldn't it work the same at washers? Because it is unnecessary.

2. Gastonknife

Gastonknife Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2008

Agreed

3. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    ^^^ This. The knife was fine when you got it, but the seller somehow saw into the future that it was going to develop issues. Right................. One buyer I never want to deal with.

JBC6650 likes this.
  4. aVyD

aVyD Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2019
    You actually can. I had a ZT 0450CF not too long ago, and all ZTs run on KVT ball bearings. You can adjust them just like you could with a blade run on washers. This is because (unlike washers) the ball bearings are recessed into the handle scales so they are flush, essentially working as washers with less contact surface area and less overall static and kinetic friction as a result of the rotating balls.

LastRodeo likes this.
  5. Lance Leon

Lance Leon Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2017
    It's unnecessary to be able to adjust the tightness of a bearing pivot? Okay then. Makes sense.

6. RoyalHolic

RoyalHolic

Aug 3, 2019
    Not to be a dick but if he was trying to scam you he probably wouldn't have given you the custom scales with it, if he knew he was going to get pinched with a defective knife he would have tried to make every cent back.

He could have easily sent it to spyderco himself also.

No such thing as an honest scammer.

7. aVyD

aVyD Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2019
    To the OP, I don't believe it was a scam. If he knew he had a defective knife, he wouldn't have spent the extra money making it his own, and he certainly wouldn't have sold you it with all the pricey upgrades.

8. tjweeks

tjweeks

Apr 18, 2015
    That is kind of what I thought also.

9. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2014
    @tjweeks
    Before you damage your reputation any more than you have,why don't you do the right thing and apologize to the fella that sold the knife to you and close this tread. You have made your point.

JBC6650 likes this.
  10. Beak14

Beak14 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Since you said that, what's his point?

Secondly, he doesn't remember who sold him the knife, so who should he apologize to?

Lastly, if @tjweeks said that he had been abducted by aliens, or that he had had a few too many, before he wrote his OP, then this whole thing would makes sense. But, until then, I feel like I'm on a short-bus, to nowhere.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  11. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    First, I’m super happy to know that Spyderco is willing to make the knife right. I love my Southards (and they flip great!) but I have never been completely comfortable with the craptastic washers.

Second, the last time I oiled my user Southard the action went straight to the toilet, barely open worse. My Southard likes to be run nearly dry. If the OP’s crapped out after oiling, it doesn’t surprise me at all.

Third, $149 for a Southard with CF and original scales that’s been tuned by the manufacturer? Sign me up for one!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  12. tjweeks

tjweeks

Apr 18, 2015
    I have since learned that a pretty common procedure with the Southard knives that have flattened their washers is to squirt a lot of oil into the pivot, screw the pivot down as hard as you can and then work the blade back and forth by hard for about an hour. After that it will work like new until it quits and that is why you might buy a used Southard that you got a good deal on and then a month later it quits flipping. Everybody has been calling me a dumb ass around here because I fell for this exact same thing. If you look around at used knives you will start seeing Southards, Advocates and several other spyderco Southard knives going for a great price. I sent mine back to Spyderco but because the guy I bought it from had put a custom scale on it, they said it had been modded and opened up and they denied the claim even they know damn good and well that this is a real problem. I feel for anyone that buys one of their Paysans because they are showing a lock related problem that spyderco will have to figure out how to blame it on the customers for their screwed up $500 knives. IU will probably catch a bunch of troll mail for this one but sooner or later you will get screwed with one too-who's laughing then?>

13. tjweeks

tjweeks

Apr 18, 2015
    Gaston-You can kiss my ---and you too Beak 14. It's guys like you that ruin any kind of posting. You always have to try and make someone who very well might know a lot more about knives than you wish they had never shared. Thanks Buddy's

14. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Dude, what? Why are you calling out Gaston? All he did was say "Agreed" to a post that was accurate.

You said this:
    which was patently false. The thread is titled "Buyer Beware", which could be construed as being about either the seller or Spyderco Southards, but when you say what I've set in bold it leads many to believe you were talking about the seller.

I would say that people lashing out for no reason is a more likely reason to make people not want to post.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  15. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    So is Spyderco refusing to fix your knife or is your crank just bent out of shape because they’re charging you $20?

I’d seriously like to know.

Lance Leon and Beak14 like this.
  16. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Petition for thread title change to "Seller Beware".

Triton and mb> like this.
  17. tjweeks

tjweeks

Apr 18, 2015
    Actually it is that my crank is just bent out of shape. I have kind of had a grudge against Spyderco because of their lack of compassion towards their customers. I have dealt quite a few times with Benchmade and Zero Tolerance and they are always ready to try to keep their fans happy. Do you need a couple of free pocket clips or some other thing you just give them a call. They don't even ask for postage. When you read Spyderco's warranty it seems like they are just telling you all the things they won't do for you. With the prices on many of the Spyderco's you would think they would be a little more giving. I know this is kind of childish on my part but it seems like anytime I have had an up close with Spyderco I end up angry. I think the Southards kind of pissed me off. I have really liked that knife since it first came out but at $270 I just could not swing it. Then the rumors started coming out about the bad washers on the Brad Southard knives and within a week Spyderco dropped it from $270 to $179. They knew by then they were selling a knife with a problem. That's what pissed me off with this debacle about fixing my knife. Twenty dollars really isn't shit but the fact that they knew it was faulty parts and they billed me because the previous owner switched out one of the scales. It was like they were looking at any little thing to charge me for their funky washers. On top of that they charged me return postage. I guess maybe Benchmade has spoiled me because that whole ordeal would not have cost me a penny and they would have included a letter of apology. It will be interesting when the Paisans start flowing back in for repair. If you just spent $520 for a knife that they know (at this time) that has a problem. I wonder if they will be trying to make some extra bucks for anything they can find wrong like a slightly scratched torx screw on the handle. Sorry for all the whining.

18. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Weird how my first batch Southard still works fine today.

Sounds like you like some other brands. Best bet is to stick with those and you won't have people poking holes in your story.

19. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    E5F0B3FC-646A-405C-8784-9FF53875D8A2.jpeg
    Mine too. Got this one when they first came out and it is a keeper. Liked it so much I put a custom scale on it and carry it constantly.
    No issues with action at all.

Danke42 likes this.
  20. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Just don't sell it I guess. That must be where the locomotive derails.

palonej likes this.