Cabin Fun With The BK10, and BK40 (More Photos PG2)

The Warrior

๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ธโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฆโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ชโ€Œ ๐Ÿ‡ปโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฐโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฌโ€Œ
Went to the cabin this past weekend for a 3 dayer. Wanted to use my BK10, and my BK40. Was a little hot out, but we had a good time.

We used to see box turtles every time we'd go there, but hadn't seen any for years. We saw one as we pulled up the drive, got out and took a few shots of it before unpacking:

Came to a dead end:

Green as green can be:

Rechargeable fan my fil bought for us. Sure did come in handy. Works very well:

9, 10, 40:

Using the 40 to make a feather. Worked good, but the stick I was using was dry as a bone. Feathered the bark okay, and the inner part too, but I kept cutting all the way through:

Another stick. Green this time, but it had a curve, and knots in it. Still liked the shot:

Use my "new" 10 to baton some kindling:

Break it down smaller using the 40. Might as well see what it's got. It's oak, btw:

to be cont...

Worked just fine:

Minimal marks on the blade:

Used the 9 to cut off some cedar branches that were in my way:

10 shots:

Old Ward knife I bought awhile back. Like that blade shape:

Handle is small. 3 finger grip:

Condor Bushlore I bought some time ago, and a Condor Woods Wise more recently:

You can see how big the handle is compared to the Ward:

BK40, and Woods Wise:

My turn around I dug out. I got back to some boulders that were too big to deal with. You can see the bare spot where i took one out, to use as a step:

Bastard was heavy, haha. Looks unstable, but I wedged rocks under it to stabilize it:

About 86ยฐ out:

Yet another feather with the 40:

to be cont...

A little blurry, but the pocket clip:

Get a fire going. More batonning with the 10:

Niner. Getting a little rust:

Drank a little Maker's Mark Friday night. That was the end of our Friday:

Batonning yet more for a Fire for Saturday morning. Note the wet pant legs. Went fishing Saturday morning. Didn't catch anything, but had a few hits on a yellow twister tail. Purchased a non resident license. $49, but it costs $10 for one day, so worth it:

Fire, fire!

The 10 is starting to look well loved:

to be cont...

Yet another feather with the 40. I used a split. It was dry, but I was able to get some pretty fine feathers:

After using it a few times to baton with, and to make a few feather sticks, it was still shaving sharp:

No, that's not my leg, it's my forearm:

A few randoms:

Wife's Tram bolo I got for her:

A couple of well used blades. 9, and 4:

Breakfast Saturday morning:

A few blades:

Wife cooking supper. Pasta, broccoli, and teriyaki chicken:

to be cont...

Last edited:
Start Saturday evening off right:

I cleared some brush earlier in the day with my 4, and hit a dang rock. It's just a flesh wound:

Batonning results with the 4 Sunday morning:

What a 4 looks like when you use it:

Batonned a little to get some quick coals:

I didn't take a before photo, but the results of lopping some branches that were blocking the view:

New Fiskars lops:

Got the coals ready for burgers:

A little bacon for the beans:

Burgers getting there:

Final 4 departing shot:

Had a great time, and was a blast using the 10, and 40. Really liking the 40. Only complaint I really have, and it's just personal preference, is I don't care for the clip. For pocket carry, great, but I don't like the feel of it while using it. I'm gonna remove it. Other than that, it worked great. No blade play, stayed centered, and no hand fatigue. Look forward to using it more, but, tbh, I'm more of a fixed blade guy.

Thanks for looking.

Looks like a good weekend! I keep thinking I'm gonna get out for a long weekend but things have fallen just right ... or wrong for me to do it yet. If not soon I will this fall when it cools off again. Thanks for sharing.

Fun, but it was hot out. As soon as I cooled off, I would do something else, and be a sweat bucket all over again.

WOW, what a documentary, Dubz! Great shots.

Have you considered swapping the clip on the 40 to the other side/end? That might get it out of the way of your hand.

Love me some 10 w/ micarta. Though I feel like it's a belt/pack knife. If car/house camping, I'd rather have the 9 for wood processing every time. But if wandering around on foot far from base, the 10 would be my choice.

WOW, what a documentary, Dubz! Great shots.

Have you considered swapping the clip on the 40 to the other side/end? That might get it out of the way of your hand.

Love me some 10 w/ micarta. Though I feel like it's a belt/pack knife. If car/house camping, I'd rather have the 9 for wood processing every time. But if wandering around on foot far from base, the 10 would be my choice.
Thanks man. Took tons of photos. I'm just going to take it off. I think that'll be best for me. TBH, I probably won't carry it anyways. It's rather large. My sak is with me at all times. The 10 is great, but would rather use the 9 myself for wood processing. That said, it was still fun to use.

In all my Years rooting around in the wood as a kid.....
I've never seen a box turtle.

Then, last year we found one in my small local city park.
I was both thrilled, and sad......idk what to do?

Part of me wanted to race over to it, scoop it up, Save it from itself, and take it to the country......
Tough decision.

*Great pics, as always

Hey Warrior,

again you had a wonderful one and the pics are amazing! That Cabin you got there is just awesome and I hope you had the best time there. Well the pics do speak quite loud, that you enjoyed yourself :)

All the best brother

In all my Years rooting around in the wood as a kid.....
I've never seen a box turtle.

Then, last year we found one in my small local city park.
I was both thrilled, and sad......idk what to do?

Part of me wanted to race over to it, scoop it up, Save it from itself, and take it to the country......
Tough decision.

*Great pics, as always
Thanks man. Box turtles are pretty cool. The first time at the cabin, just to check the place out and decide if we wanted it or not, saw a box turtle. This one was a feisty female. The males bottom shell has a concave part on it, to mate the females. Plus, iirc, they have red eyes.
Hey Warrior,

again you had a wonderful one and the pics are amazing! That Cabin you got there is just awesome and I hope you had the best time there. Well the pics do speak quite loud, that you enjoyed yourself :)

All the best brother
Thanks man. We had a blast, other than the heat. Goes with the territory, as they say.
What a write-up! Thanks for taking us with you. Great pics and detail. Hope you had a blast!
Thanks man, we did.
Great tools, great pics!
Thank for sharing.
Enjoyed seeing the 40 and the BK10 in action.
Thanks man. Always fun to use the new blades. I really like the 40. Like I said, I'm not much of a folder guy, but it worked out damn good.

Loved the action shots of the 10. Itโ€™s one of, if not the, unsung hero of the Becker line-up IMO.

I miss the hanging round the cabin days, enjoy it while you can. :thumbsup:

Hey Warrior.... Wow as always a great post from your cabin trip....Having a remote getaway, surrounded by woodland in which you can immerse yourself is one of the greatest of privileges.....A quiet time in such a place always goes a long way toward helping me to find what little sanity I have left....Your pix are phenomenal but, they always are....Thank you for having me along!

Loved the action shots of the 10. Itโ€™s one of, if not the, unsung hero of the Becker line-up IMO.

I miss the hanging round the cabin days, enjoy it while you can. :thumbsup:
Thanks man. The 10 is a good one.
Hey Warrior.... Wow as always a great post from your cabin trip....Having a remote getaway, surrounded by woodland in which you can immerse yourself is one of the greatest of privileges.....A quiet time in such a place always goes a long way toward helping me to find what little sanity I have left....Your pix are phenomenal but, they always are....Thank you for having me along!
Thanks Ethan, appreciate it. I feel very fortunate to have such a place. Very soothing for the soul indeed. And, as a bonus, a great place to test out, and use the blades. :thumbsup:

Your Wards knife was made by Western in 1941. We know it was made by Western because it was made with the patented bifurcated tang as indicated by the double pins in the pommel. It is a model L43. We know it is the 1941 version because the 1936 version had a mushroom pommel. Is was one of many models that died with the advent of WW2. The 43 pattern was not reintroduced after WW2.

Thanks for the heads up.

Back