Cabin Fun With The BK10, and BK40 (More Photos PG2)

Had me drooling with that chili until you went and added beans to it. I'm firmly in the NO BEANS IN CHILI camp. Beans on the side is fine. Love my beans, ON THE SIDE.

The Warrior The Warrior

The only thing better than having knives (other than more knives) is using them!
Absolutely. Love using the blades.
Had me drooling with that chili until you went and added beans to it. I'm firmly in the NO BEANS IN CHILI camp. Beans on the side is fine. Love my beans, ON THE SIDE.
Must be a local thing. I've never had chili without beans. Hell, I've never even heard of chili without beans.

There is chili, and there is chili with beans.
I prefer the real thing, but will eat the version with beans out of politeness if that's what is offered by my host

I love chili of all types.
chili without beans if for hot dogs
try Colorado green chili. it uses pork, serranos, pablanos, green chilis, and jalapeรฑos. And chicken stock.

I have had chicken chili before. Tasted just like the beef, tbh.

None of the chili cook-off competition groups (CASI - Chili Appreciation Society International) (IBCA- International Bar-B-Que Association) (OTICCC - Original Terlingua International Championship Chili Cook-off) allow beans in chili submitted for judging. Some competitions will have a "Bean competition" in conjunction with the chili cook-off. I've competed in a few competitions and been a chili cook-off judge and a bean judge since the mid-1990s.

If a chili entry was to be submitted with beans (or ANY recognizable veggie, such as chunks of onion or tomato, or pasta pieces) it would be rejected at turn-in. The chili entry can have onion powder, tomato powder and/or tomato sauce/paste, powdered peppers/spices, pureed/deseeded peppers, etc, but the individual pieces cannot be recognizable as being a tomato, onion or pepper. Recognizable pepper seeds may or may not fly, depending on the particular cook-off chili master. I always deseeded my peppers.

Flour or corn starch can be used as a thickening agent in the event you end up with your chili being a little watery for some reason.

The purpose for these rules is to have a level playing field during the visual appearance judging.

This link gives the official rules for the annual Terlingua competition and qualifying competitions.

Thanks, but we're not competing, haha. :p

For a neighborhood party, I was once asked to make a pot of my semi-legendary Ring of Fire chili, which has no beans. However, since the hostess, and a number of other attendees were vegetarian, I made a pot with beans, no meat, in deference to their eating disorder. While I was at it, I decided what the heck, I made a third pot including both meat and beans. I labeled the three pots โ€œNo Meatโ€, โ€œNo Beansโ€ and โ€œNo Integrityโ€.

I find myself using my BK10 for everything. Both outdoors and kitchen. I used it tonight to slice squash for the dehydrator
It's Eric's fault he sent it to me :)

I find myself using my BK10 for everything. Both outdoors and kitchen. I used it tonight to slice squash for the dehydrator
It's Eric's fault he sent it to me :)
It's a good knife. That bastard. :p

Thanks for ALL the pics, I really enjoyed them ! You reminded me that I should take some dedicated time away from work and metal detecting to use some steel. I'm happy to see a 40 in use, but that "China" on the spine is a real turn off. Ironicly, we all probably have a boat load of Chinese products in our homes whether we know it or not. I need a little time to process this one. That little 40 looks sweet though.

Back