Camillus and Schrade of Old Given Short Shrift Now-A-Days

That's a beauty, Bruce! The swedge grind on the master suggests tooling for Camillus or Ulster. 1960s manufacture. If there are no bolster pins it was made in the Schrade Ellenville (Ulster) buildings with Swinden construction. That Delrin jigged pattern was exclusive to the Sears contracts.
Thanks for the informative post Cal. I have breathed on the bolsters and taken them into the sunlight as well, if there are pins in the bolsters I cannot see them at all. I am going with the Schrade USA manufacture. OH

Thanks for the informative post Cal. I have breathed on the bolsters and taken them into the sunlight as well, if there are pins in the bolsters I cannot see them at all. I am going with the Schrade USA manufacture. OH
Yes; Schrade with Ulster grind blades in the Ulster/Ellenville buildings. Schrade moved into Ellenville in 1958. Those covers are unique to Sears contracts.

Posted before, this knife is most unusual! I thought i'd reprise it here!!. Two sources are of the opinion it is a prototype, never produced, from the 1940s. A three-spring whittler style Stockman, without internal liners/dividers, and with 3 full-length blades. Note the old style tang stamps and unusual shield and jigging. 3 7/8" Camillus Stockman frame.3 spring Cam .jpg3 spring Cam A.jpg3 spring Cam B.jpg3 spring Cam C.jpg3 spring Cam D.jpg
The ink on the main blade has "ghosted" onto the sheepfoot from sitting unmoved for so many years!!
Supposedly found in Albert Baer's sample drawer!!! Sold to me by an older Imperial-Schrade Employee 10 - 12 years ago!!

Posted before, this knife is most unusual! I thought i'd reprise it here!!. Two sources are of the opinion it is a prototype, never produced, from the 1940s. A three-spring whittler style Stockman, without internal liners/dividers, and with 3 full-length blades. Note the old style tang stamps and unusual shield and jigging. 3 7/8" Camillus Stockman frame.View attachment 2574389View attachment 2574390View attachment 2574391View attachment 2574392View attachment 2574393
The ink on the main blade has "ghosted" onto the sheepfoot from sitting unmoved for so many years!!
Supposedly found in Albert Baer's sample drawer!!! Sold to me by an older Imperial-Schrade Employee 10 - 12 years ago!!
P.S. There is a "Sword Brand" etch on the main blade which was started ca.1942 by Camillus.
(according to Bernie Levine!)

Posted before, this knife is most unusual! I thought i'd reprise it here!!. Two sources are of the opinion it is a prototype, never produced, from the 1940s. A three-spring whittler style Stockman, without internal liners/dividers, and with 3 full-length blades. Note the old style tang stamps and unusual shield and jigging. 3 7/8" Camillus Stockman frame.View attachment 2574389View attachment 2574390View attachment 2574391View attachment 2574392View attachment 2574393

What a treasure ! 😍👍

Was gifted this by my grandmother almost 30 years ago. I’ve never packed it, for obvious reasons, but I’ve thought about it many a time. Anyway, I’ve attached a description that came with it from her. The initial price makes me laugh, especially these days. I had never payed attention to the fact it is an AG Russell knife. Does that mean he designed it, or built it, or both? I have no idea. Do any of you know about their true backstory?

Mr. Russell specified the "ivory" Delrin covers, N.S. bolsters, blade steel (stainless or not), and Kentucky Rifle shield.
I don't know if he designed the shield or if it was an pre-existing/"off the shelf" design at the time.

Is the knife 8OT size?
Are the blades stainless?
It does not look like a hollow bolster/shell construction knife.
I've never seen a hollow bolster/shell knife with a simulated center pin. "Cover pins" -- yes -- I've seen those simulated.
None of the manufacturers that used shell construction simulated the backspring rocker pin though.

I'm wondering how a special order knife with special covers and shield, and possibly stainless blades instead of the standard carbon steel, could retail for significantly less than the standard no frills knife.
I'm 97% (+/- ... "give 'er take" ...) sure in 1995 a standard 8OT was closer to $30.⁰⁰ than $13.⁰⁰.

Could it be a factory hot rodded Imperial Frontier (Double Eagle if stainless blades) or Camillus Sword Brand; not an 8OT?

An exceptional knife.

Of the 1,000 made, I wonder how many still exist. No doubt things like me will have put it to work, resulting in some being used up/damaged/lost/"taken with" when planted, over the years..

Was gifted this by my grandmother almost 30 years ago. I’ve never packed it, for obvious reasons, but I’ve thought about it many a time. Anyway, I’ve attached a description that came with it from her. The initial price makes me laugh, especially these days. I had never payed attention to the fact it is an AG Russell knife. Does that mean he designed it, or built it, or both? I have no idea. Do any of you know about their true backstory?

Shield speced by him, made by Schrade as shown on the tang stamp.

Mr. Russell specified the "ivory" Delrin covers, N.S. bolsters, blade steel (stainless or not), and Kentucky Rifle shield.
I don't know if he designed the shield or if it was an pre-existing/"off the shelf" design at the time.

Is the knife 8OT size?
Are the blades stainless?
It does not look like a hollow bolster/shell construction knife.
I've never seen a hollow bolster/shell knife with a simulated center pin. "Cover pins" -- yes -- I've seen those simulated.
None of the manufacturers that used shell construction simulated the backspring rocker pin though.

I'm wondering how a special order knife with special covers and shield, and possibly stainless blades instead of the standard carbon steel, could retail for significantly less than the standard no frills knife.
I'm 97% (+/- ... "give 'er take" ...) sure in 1995 a standard 8OT was closer to $30.⁰⁰ than $13.⁰⁰.

Could it be a factory hot rodded Imperial Frontier (Double Eagle if stainless blades) or Camillus Sword Brand; not an 8OT?

An exceptional knife.

Of the 1,000 made, I wonder how many still exist. No doubt things like me will have put it to work, resulting in some being used up/damaged/lost/"taken with" when planted, over the years..
Blades are stainless. The bolsters aren’t hollow. It does appear the be the size of a 8OT/Frontier.

Another unusual Camillus; It appears to be on the same Handle pattern as the knife above in post #1363; 3 springs and 4 blades!!!3 sprg 4bl Cam 1.jpg3 sprg 4bl Cam 2.jpg3 sprg 4bl Cam 3.jpg
Note; along with a spey and a punch, it appears to have two main blades, a standard Clip, and a "Turkish" clip!!
Note: the knife from the above post for comparison!
3 spring Cam A.jpg

waynorth waynorth
❤️ the jigging on those. 🥰

Not sure why jigging over the last 50 ... 60 years don't look as good.
The size, order (even rows and columns now) and depth of the jigging now days is so consistant.
Jigging must be an automated machine made process now? 🤔☹️
I agree - it's often more random on the older knives!! It was supposed to be "stagged bone" so maybe the philosophy was "random"??? 😁

I believe this Remington R4243 was made by Camillus in 1994. Thought it would fit on this thread 👍

view

Here's a side by side with a Schrade 80T to give an idea how big this beast is!

view

ZHoovie ZHoovie you'd need a big pocket to pocket that pocketknife! Nice, always liked the looks of those monster camp knives (if not the practicality). OH
I was looking around at some scout knives & just happened to run across this one. I've been wanting a big camp knife like this, for no real reason, just because 🤣
You are right, she's not exactly pocket friendly... I tried to put it in a 110 belt sheath but it was even too big for that! I guess I need to get one made 😉

Thanks for that visual. Put it on a lanyard and you could kosh someone with it.
That'd be like swinging a brick on a rope 🤣
On a serious note, it weighs close to half a pound. I think I saw somewhere it was a little over 7 ounces. I haven't weighed it myself though. It is a chunk 😉

Back