Canada Customs and Axis Locks!

Horror stories, I feel a chill running down my spine considering some knives I got imported from the US.

Oh man, I ordered 2 Axis Lock knives about a month apart. The first is detained by Border Services for ''Testing'' and the second one just arrived in Canada. It would even be alright with me if the second package slipped through without a problem and they seize and destroy the first! I got a bad feeling they will snag both. All I can do is call them and let them know I checked carefully before purchasing them and I made sure that type of knife was widely available inside Canada. If I lose both packages at least they will look nice in some Agent's tackle box!:mad:

So, if they're (CBSA) loosening pivots to enable the knives to open via gravity/wrist flick/drop etc. aren't they breaking the law?... That's a modification that circumvents how the knife was intended to operate from the manufacturer.

And then by arbitrarily saying the knife is now deemed illegal (when it isn't/wasn't) and keeping it for themselves is outright theft and not confiscation.

It would be interesting (maybe shocking!) to see how many of the knives that were said were going into the seize and destroy pile that actually just got stuffed into a pocket etc. instead. :thumbdn::thumbdn::thumbdn::grumpy::mad:

Could there be a difference in Customs depending on how the package arives?

While most single knives might travel via air freight, bigger shipments might come by land or even sea.

Do they all go to the same customs location at the end or are there differences?

That might explain how a company can make large shipments to their distributors in Canada but a single knife might get hung up in one particularly location with a much stricter customs office.

Could there be a difference in Customs depending on how the package arives?

While most single knives might travel via air freight, bigger shipments might come by land or even sea.

Do they all go to the same customs location at the end or are there differences?

That might explain how a company can make large shipments to their distributors in Canada but a single knife might get hung up in one particularly location with a much stricter customs office.

That's a valid point. :thumbup:

Here's a link for any Canucks interested in reading about the locations:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/menu-eng.html

Looks like I'm going to start buying folders in bulk. :thumbup:;)

As an anecdote, I just sent a Benchmade Barrage (spring-assisted axis-lock) to Canada and the buyer did not report any issues. It was well-packaged and sent via USPS priority mail.

As an anecdote, I just sent a Benchmade Barrage (spring-assisted axis-lock) to Canada and the buyer did not report any issues. It was well-packaged and sent via USPS priority mail.
What was it declared as? If you don't mind me asking!

I've heard rumors East is stickier than West. But the slipjoint they just took a long look at came through the Richmond hub.

I guess I am supposed to call customs for further information after June 17th. Luckily it's not a Benchmade Osborne or something super expensive, but I am still bummed out. It's a kick in the head that they have seized a type of knife you can buy at hundreds of Canadian shops. I smell a shifty deal.

I bought a 940 from a forum user and it go here no problem. I think the officer that saw your package is probably just undereducated on our knife laws.

None of this matters......

They have technology that can see through packing material, and while I somewhat agree that things in the East are tighter then the West, it's still a roll of the dice.

It has more to do with timing than anything else.

Another thing you need to remember (I have a family member who does Customs pre-clearance) once they find something and declare it "illegal" you can bet that anything sent to you from that point on is looked at much more closely.

We really appreciate our Southern neighbour's shipping legal knives up to us.

There are so many great knives we either can't get here, or have to wait forever for them to be available.
(A lot of LE's and SE's never make it here, just not enough of them made)

Customs Seizures are NEVER the shippers issue and have to be excepted by the buyer are as their responsibility.

Most people get that, the ones that don't will get an explanation from PayPal.....

No the tracking will just say it's held for customs inspection. Once they start mailing you stuff it's not good news.
I don't think I will ever see either knife. I have never owned an Axis Lock knife and I was pretty damn sure they were O.K after seeing tons of Axis knives sold within Canada. I don't think it has been tested yet, I'm sure there is a dumpster full of packages just like mine.:grumpy:

Be glad you didn't buy an actual Benchmade. Next time buy a real Axis Lock knife in country and avoid the issue.
Lesson Learnt! I had been eyeing a Benchmade Osborne for a while, if they were snagging that I would be curled in a ball crying! I will be calling tomorrow and ask a few questions and assure them I would never try to import something the could get me in trouble. If it hasn't been tested there is a slim chance it won't open with a wrist flick, who knows!:moody:

Last August got my pre ordered Chavez Redencion 228 held up at Canadian customs for 5 days, I was sweating bullets ($500 US knife plus extra clip for $120) but got the knife eventually. Now that was a scare so now I only order fixed blades from that side of the border.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Last August got my pre ordered Chavez Redencion 228 held up at Canadian customs for 5 days, I was sweating bullets ($500 US knife plus extra clip for $120) but got the knife eventually. Now that was a scare so now I only order fixed blades from that side of the border.

$120 for a pocket clip? Maybe that's the real crime we should be discussing. :cool:

I don't get it. You can find and buy any Axis lock knife in any Cabela's or Wholesale Sports or any canadian online knife retailer?!
Overzealous custom officers maybe?

Yes, you can find them, but they may also be illegal. The Criminal Code says:

prohibited weapon means

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife

Can you open your Axis lock folder with a flick of the wrist and without touching the blade? If so...

Back