Canadian knife law specifics.

Do you know what country the Canadian cities of Montreal and Calgary are located in?
Yes yes im sorry I'm very tired, I have recently gotten a german shepherd puppy and I pretty much get 2 hour sleep intervals, I skimmed your message and in my mind Canadian law was equal all through Canada so I had instantly assumed it was speaking about the states. I apologize for my ignorance.

Mind telling me how to research then whether it is supposed to be visible or not based on where I am? Currently I'm in bc but who knows in the future, I'd like to be able to know what the laws are so I stay on the correct side.
Read the bylaws of the city you plan to move too. Preferably before you decide to move there.

I never knew this, this is quite amazing and shocking at the same time. I will have to do some research about my own province then too make sure I am aware of all these laws for my own area as well. Thank you for your patience and help šŸ˜Š

Yes yes im sorry I'm very tired, I have recently gotten a german shepherd puppy and I pretty much get 2 hour sleep intervals, I skimmed your message and in my mind Canadian law was equal all through Canada so I had instantly assumed it was speaking about the states. I apologize for my ignorance.
No problem. Best bet it is to work the puppy hard so they crash at bed time and be ready to get up at 5am.

For BC (where I am also) as long as you're not trying cruise the streets with a balisong, switchblade etc you're fine. You do need some situational awareness. If you're on the Surrey Skytrain with a short sword you'll get some questons. If you're up in the Caribou with a big Bowie knife no one as the lunch counter will blink.

Does this mean i can carry my native american made knife for tradition reasons and my sword of aragorn for cosplay and decoration
Is a member for SEVEN YEARS... saves your first post for some anti-knife ish like this.

Are SOG Assisted Opening Knives prohibited in Canada?
I bought one in 2021 from Cabela's, and I can open it with one hand a bit, it springs half way, and then by centrifugal force (sharp wrist movement) I can open it completely. The lock mechanism locks automatically on open.
By typing that, I already realized that it is 99% prohibited since 2018 :(

Are SOG Assisted Opening Knives prohibited in Canada?
I bought one in 2021 from Cabela's, and I can open it with one hand a bit, it springs half way, and then by centrifugal force (sharp wrist movement) I can open it completely. The lock mechanism locks automatically on open.
By typing that, I already realized that it is 99% prohibited since 2018 :(
That's a weird one, your knife should open all the way, and in that case it would be legal. Since it does not, then it's dicey, and in an actual court of law, you could probably argue that when you bought it, the intention was for it to only be opened by the assist feature. However since CBSA plays by it's own rules, importing a new one, even at 100% functionality might not fly. But since big shipments like those to large retailers don't always get 100% sorted through, stuff leaks through. Ian Runkle (Runkle of the baily on youtube) is a lawyer from Edmonton who did a vid a few months ago about a knife that is essentially prohibited under the law, but ended up on the shelves of the big-box retailers because no one bothered to check.

That's a weird one, your knife should open all the way, and in that case it would be legal. Since it does not, then it's dicey, and in an actual court of law, you could probably argue that when you bought it, the intention was for it to only be opened by the assist feature. However since CBSA plays by it's own rules, importing a new one, even at 100% functionality might not fly. But since big shipments like those to large retailers don't always get 100% sorted through, stuff leaks through. Ian Runkle (Runkle of the baily on youtube) is a lawyer from Edmonton who did a vid a few months ago about a knife that is essentially prohibited under the law, but ended up on the shelves of the big-box retailers because no one bothered to check.
Re: SOG Trident's assisted opening, I am not sure I follow. If it opened all the way, it would be illegal in Canada on the merit of being fully automatic. Instead, it opens half-way.
Re: the Runkle of the baily, he is awesome, a must watch
Re: legality, the newish CBSA rules apply when you import or cross the border with the knife only, they do not make the knives that are already imported illegal (unless they were illegal in the first place, of course).

Re: SOG Trident's assisted opening, I am not sure I follow. If it opened all the way, it would be illegal in Canada on the merit of being fully automatic. Instead, it opens half-way.
Re: the Runkle of the baily, he is awesome, a must watch
Re: legality, the newish CBSA rules apply when you import or cross the border with the knife only, they do not make the knives that are already imported illegal (unless they were illegal in the first place, of course).
Just to clarify, the Trident's assist is okay because you start the blade by pushing the blade, not by pushing a button on the handle. The opening fully or not doesn't seem to have ever been brought up by anyone in a case that I have heard about. I have owned a couple SOG SAT knives, I had to gift them when I moved to Australia, but I'm familiar with the system in question. My thought here is that if the blade partly opens, then becomes free swinging and can be locked by wrist action alone, then it is illegal under the definition, but if it gets to the fully locked position under the spring alone, then it's not a "flick knife". Absurd, I know. In a strict sense of the wording, the knife should only be illegal if the blade can deploy by swing alone and no touching at all of the blade, but I don't believe for one second that anyone in a court would actually make that distinction. So while the Trident is good in that they are essentially impossible to swing open against the spring, it does leave that weird grey area.
My only point about CBSA is that because they do their own thing, a knife that gets sold legally in Canada can still be an illegal import.

Just to clarify, the Trident's assist is okay because you start the blade by pushing the blade, not by pushing a button on the handle. The opening fully or not doesn't seem to have ever been brought up by anyone in a case that I have heard about. I have owned a couple SOG SAT knives, I had to gift them when I moved to Australia, but I'm familiar with the system in question. My thought here is that if the blade partly opens, then becomes free swinging and can be locked by wrist action alone, then it is illegal under the definition, but if it gets to the fully locked position under the spring alone, then it's not a "flick knife". Absurd, I know. In a strict sense of the wording, the knife should only be illegal if the blade can deploy by swing alone and no touching at all of the blade, but I don't believe for one second that anyone in a court would actually make that distinction. So while the Trident is good in that they are essentially impossible to swing open against the spring, it does leave that weird grey area.
My only point about CBSA is that because they do their own thing, a knife that gets sold legally in Canada can still be an illegal import.
Yes, the knife laws in Canada are bizarre for sure.
According to CBSA's import rules, almost any folding knife can be deemed illegal because of the "[can be opened by wrist movement] with minimal prior manipulations".
Since the "minimality" of those manipulations is not defined, it seems like even barely opening a knife with TWO hands (even when it hardly opens with the opposite hand's nail!), almost every single knife would be possible to open completely afterwards with a brisk wrist movement.
And we are not even talking about assisted opening, one-hand opening of ANY sort, etc, just a regular folding knife without any of that.

It's just another spin on the New York flick. If you're good at it you can pop open anything.

Back