1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I bought this one today, even thought I think $13 is too much for a shell-handled Imperial.
    On the other hand, in my experience Imperials are usually Jacks, so this one is unusual, and this one seems unused, and I had eaten their cookies and used their toilet, so I have plenty of excuses.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    You ate 15 bux worth of cookies didnt you?
    So good deal Id say.

3. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    WHOOOO?? :D
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the update, Charlie! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Sounds like exciting times for @pertinux!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Great to see your update, Greg! :) I hope we can see you around a little more regularly in the days ahead. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
    (I hope I can see ME here a little more regularly, too. :rolleyes:)

- GT

4. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Thanks GT. Maybe if both you and I are seen 'round here a little more regularly our posting paths will cross more often. :)

Prester John likes this.
  5. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks for the info Charlie.

6. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    I just made a small reminder on myself of 2018 and I realised that I actually bought one (!!) knife in 2018. It was a Böker Barlow Solingen with ebony scales and nickel silver bolsters.

A little bit funny - because in the times when I was collecting hard there one new knife every very week. Depending on the offerings in World Wide Web. ;)

sitflyer, Cambertree, jc57 and 10 others like this.
  7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    @Humppa Good to hear from you Andi:cool: all things change, including our habits BUT you're still buying at least one Traditional and enjoying it, I'm very glad my friend:thumbsup:

Warmest regards to you,

Will

Prester John likes this.
  8. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    I just snagged this 77 off the exchange the other day.

[​IMG]

9. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Andi...what Will said. Hope all is well with you and your family !

10. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Hard to believe where this actually is.

[​IMG]

11. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I can't believe it myself even though I see it with my own eyes o_O :D Perhaps others know where "about 3.99 feet east of 4 feet west of here" actually is @leghog ;)

In any case - here in mid-coast Maine, I was walking about in the woods this afternoon and it looked nearly as barren of winter as your spot though there wasn't any running water except under ice.

Ray

Prester John likes this.
  12. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    That pic was taken in the middle of Washington D.C. yesterday. Rock Creek National Park.

sitflyer likes this.
  13. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    I almost weakened in my resolve not to buy any more knives. I had a cart full over at Mike Latham's site. But then I remembered that I was on painkillers after a root canal (well, the first stage of it anyway) and should maybe wait until making decisions.

Sorry, Mike.

14. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    John, I'd say a root canal deserves a new knife or two to moderate the pain. ;)

15. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    You're not helping, Jeff. Well, you're not helping me. You may be helping Mike. Let's wait and see how bad the dentist and endodontist bills are, first. That may be where the real pain comes in.

16. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I hear ya!

17. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Pile side & Mark side how did those descriptive terms come about? Not obvious what each refer to unless one is paying close attention or has asked.

Thanks for enlightening.

Ray

18. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I will guess "mark" side got its name because that's the side the maker puts its mark on, usually on the tang. It's also the side where the shield goes, if the knife has one. And the nail nick or long pull. Don't know about "pile" side. Someone should enlighten us soon. ;)

RayseM likes this.
  19. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I think there's more than one theory of "pile side". I don't remember any of them.

r8shell and zolthar like this.
  20. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Here's one theory:

Origin of pile
    noun
    the lower of two dies for coining by hand.
    1350–1400; Middle English pyl reverse of a coin < Medieval Latin pīla