"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

BINKERHOFF Ribbon Barbed Wire - Patent April 1879 - AKA - The Devil’s Rope (though I suspect lots of barbed wire shared that generic alias). Found lots in the wooded land trust acreage behind our house here in mid-coast Maine. Likely pretty common for you folks from cattle and sheep herding states but we were quite surprised to find it here. Though my wife tells that in the 1800s all the woods behind us and our 5 acres too, were cut off and sheep were likely grazing among the granite ledges. This is all that's left of that activity. Last year I found some lengths of it. It was unlike any barbed wire I had ever seen and so this spring went out and followed the strings to gather some up.

Couldn’t just leave it all there. ;) We have learned that is is galvanized but in the woods it looked so much like patinated bronze - real nice faint green tint. Couldn’t imagine anyone making barbed wire out of bronze even in this old boat building town but it surely looked like old bronze. Well - bringing it indoors and letting it dry shows it clearly to be galvanized. I’ve got about 30 or 40 feet of it (3 separate trips with gloves and metal shears - all part of my MaineWoods Collectibles) - some of the best I could find. Still lots more out there. Not doing anything but tripping up deer these days.

I had a bit of free time to play this week and so here I present TIGGER. 14" tall - through pinned and epoxied to the 6" dia. stone base. I knew I was saving that rock for something :cool: I will leave this bouncy “sculpture” outdoors and let the wire and stone gather some moss. It will just keep getting more elegant :rolleyes: I know, I know not everyone's idea of something worth keeping but I like it immensely - and my wife says it could grow on her - which would be better than having her stuck on it. That would hoit :eek:

Lots more wire so lots more "art" potential.

View attachment 1116330

View attachment 1116331

AND - one must include some knife content :) This has been a daily carry for the past few weeks and was with me as I harvested the Brinkerhoff - My Le Garonnais by Le Sabot in Ebony

View attachment 1116341

Fun huh? :thumbsup:

Ray

Incredible Ray, my grandfather was a wire-weaver, though I think he would have mainly made wire-netting :)

dAPPX9K.jpg

Hey guys & gals... I just wanted to chime in for a short "Hello"...

Still struggling with life´s difficulties made my time short. I know I promissed for almost some times to come back more often and it didn´t happen. So I won´t do this anymore. :D

Great to see many of the older members still posting in here frequently and regularly.

Hey Andi, great to see you here, hope Max isn't keeping you too busy :) :thumbsup:

Still struggling with life´s difficulties made my time short. I know I promissed for almost some times to come back more often and it didn´t happen. So I won´t do this anymore. :D

Great to see many of the older members still posting in here frequently and regularly.
Good to see you back! :)

Come by any time.

I guess I might not have thought of mourning the victims and condoling with the survivors of the Sri Lankan Easter church bombings, except I used to know a Catholic from Sri Lanka.

I bow my head upon hearing of all these hate filled, senseless, utterly Godless acts of violence.
My neck hurts. Not a tasteless & cheap attempt at humor but rather an acknowledgment of the unrelenting aspect of humanities propensity at inhumanity to one another. I have faith that we are not doomed but the road to our salvation will be difficult. We begin as individuals. Be kind and judge not. Words though, are inadequate.

Ray

Not sure what is up with the International shipping. I just looked at the shipping policies of one of the biggest on-line Case retailers, and you'd think if Case itself has placed some restrictions on international sales, so as to protect the territory of an authorized European reseller, then their top dealer would have that in their policies. However, all it says is this:

"International Restrictions:
We cannot ship: Stag, Buffalo Horn, Mother-Of-Pearl, Abalone, Rosewood, Cocobolo Wood or Ebony Wood outside the US."

So unless your order was for one of the restricted handle materials, I am not sure where that came from.

Small update. The knife I was after is in jigged bone, not yet a prohibition material...The vendor told me that CASE have introduced a policy of prohibiting all sales outside the USA of all of its new knives. He thinks it's absurd, so do I but it seems it's going to take hold as stocks become exhausted and need replenishing. Of course, some legal pedantry might be in play here but I think it impinges on dealers' freedom to sell to whomever they like. If CASE wish to protect their European sellers then it's myopic the Internet should allow free trade of legal goods and not encourage protected monopolies. I'm not buying from the VERY restricted range of hugely overpriced CASE knives that Euro distributors offer, end.

If GEC implement similar restrictions then it's grim, with Queen/SM gone et al.Böker knives, the ones made in Germany are not available in Germany or the EU I have had to buy them from the USA....Would not want to be starting a collection in this knife climate change...;):eek:

These days birds are totally enamored, some are aggressive with what they imagine being a fellow, others coo like hoarse crooners and look for a home.
Yesterday I had the living room's window open to let the sun shine in and when I came back, there was a pigeon in the middle of the room! I guess he was thinking "ok, ok, ok, let's see, so, here the guests's sleeping room, the kitchen on the left and there under that coffee table the children's corner!" I had to remind him that the flat was not to hire...
Usually they just build their nests on the balcony, behind flower pots.

Canterbury Cathedral had a pigeon problem years ago. Rather than letting people have fun shooting them, the cathedral built a dovecote and ate the eggs, maybe made the occasional pigeon pie as well.

These days birds are totally enamored, some are aggressive with what they imagine being a fellow, others coo like hoarse crooners and look for a home.
Yesterday I had the living room's window open to let the sun shine in and when I came back, there was a pigeon in the middle of the room! I guess he was thinking "ok, ok, ok, let's see, so, here the guests's sleeping room, the kitchen on the left and there under that coffee table the children's corner!" I had to remind him that the flat was not to hire...
Usually they just build their nests on the balcony, behind flower pots.
I'm a bit of a "birder" and am really in a nice area to have a lot of different migrating birds come through and also have a lot of year round resident birds as well. I have counted nearly 50 different bird species in my back yard... I'm lucky to be spoiled by Mother Nature :) Of course I did have to shovel my snow filled driveway about 20 times this winter as well LoL. :D

I'm a bit of a "birder" and am really in a nice area to have a lot of different migrating birds come through and also have a lot of year round resident birds as well. I have counted nearly 50 different bird species in my back yard... I'm lucky to be spoiled by Mother Nature :) Of course I did have to shovel my snow filled driveway about 20 times this winter as well LoL. :D
Maybe I should put shoveling snow on my bucket list!

NOT!

So the crazy Cardinal is back that likes to attack his reflection in the window...
We've got a female Cardinal that has a similar problem. I figure she'll be sitting on a nest pretty soon and have other things to occupy her time. I'm a birder myself and really enjoy watching them at our feeders.
I like to keep a camera around in case something interesting happens. Here's a pic I got a few years ago while walking the woods near our home. Two Pileated Woodpeckers having a disagreement.
P1010147%201.jpg

I live in a street with many trees, used to be lindens, now plane trees. They were crowded with pigeons and sparrows, dejections of the former were a problem. Then there's been a campaign against the pigeons, with poisoned seeds to prevent birth. Surely pigeons have decreased, but sparrows also.
Then they introduced crows and magpies. The result is that there's less pigeons, a few mocking birds and titmouses are back, but for several years now there's wood pigeons staying instead of migrating and devastating balcony plantations.
Else, I wonder what happened to the couples of kestrels living in the Notre-Dame tower and protecting her from pigeons.

https://www.ina.fr/video/CAB96035820

Thought I'd head over to Carl's Lounge while I ate breakfast this morning, but instead I somehow stumbled into the Audubon Lodge!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::D I'm enjoying all the bird stories and pics! :cool::cool: Gary, I still have that wrestling Woodpeckers photo on my computer from the first time you posted it. ;)

- GT

Back