"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I attended the Queen Bankruptcy auction today. Kind of bittersweet. Seeing and talking with guys I've known a long time, and others who I met for the first time today, was a good part. Seeing the factory with so much inventory and history being sold off for literally pennies on the dollar, was sad. I have no doubt that I saw 10's of thousands of blades, liners, bolsters, handle materials, etc. Nearly 700 lots total, but some of the lots were "this entire 20 foot long rack of inventory, 5 shelves high." Although it was moderately crowded at the beginning (I'm guessing maybe 500 people), the crowd did thin out by mid-point. It seemed a handful of guys were doing 90% of the buying.

I didn't get much. I have no use for 5,000 stamped brass liners for a medium stockman pattern, and so didn't even really want to bid on most of the stuff. I'm curious if the market will be flooded by all this Queen inventory in the upcoming year.
Thanks for sharing this. Sad but it must have been surreal being there.

Last edited:
I attended the Queen Bankruptcy auction today. Kind of bittersweet. Seeing and talking with guys I've known a long time, and others who I met for the first time today, was a good part. Seeing the factory with so much inventory and history being sold off for literally pennies on the dollar, was sad. I have no doubt that I saw 10's of thousands of blades, liners, bolsters, handle materials, etc. Nearly 700 lots total, but some of the lots were "this entire 20 foot long rack of inventory, 5 shelves high." Although it was moderately crowded at the beginning (I'm guessing maybe 500 people), the crowd did thin out by mid-point. It seemed a handful of guys were doing 90% of the buying.

I didn't get much. I have no use for 5,000 stamped brass liners for a medium stockman pattern, and so didn't even really want to bid on most of the stuff. I'm curious if the market will be flooded by all this Queen inventory in the upcoming year.
It only just occurred to me I might have found springs for my stockman there. Maybe somebody bought the thousands of them and will make them available. It wouldn't have been practical for me to go there and bid on thousands of them either.

I would have bought some things if the lots were smaller sized. But I can understand how that wasn't feasible when you have a factory with 3 floors and 100+ years of inventory packed into every square inch of it. The auction ran from 10am until 8pm, and never stopped for even 1 minute. Even the nice knives for sale were grouped in boxes of 50+, so you had to bid $700 or more to even have a chance at it.

I would have bought some things if the lots were smaller sized. But I can understand how that wasn't feasible when you have a factory with 3 floors and 100+ years of inventory packed into every square inch of it. The auction ran from 10am until 8pm, and never stopped for even 1 minute. Even the nice knives for sale were grouped in boxes of 50+, so you had to bid $700 or more to even have a chance at it.
Thanks for the report. I expect to see a lot of "warehouse finds" for sale in the future.

It will be interesting to see how much of this stuff makes its way back onto the market. I remember seeing quite a few FrankenSchrades for years after their bk. Lots of Schrade blades with different handles, etc.
A couple of the online vendors whose sites I often visit STILL have all kinds of Schrade USA parts for sale: blades/tools, shields (including Old Timer, Ducks Unlimited, Uncle Henry, and plain shields of many styles), handle materials, pins, washers/spacers. I didn't see any liners or back springs though, in scrolling through 25 pages of items.

- GT

My final soundboard:
KKiHoaC.jpg

After all, the old saying goes, "Three tries for a Welshman", not "Umpteen bazillion tries for a Welshman".

That looks great Jer...is it a Dobro?
Thats one serious looking man cave back there too:thumbsup:
That must be an old old saying...so old in fact even Ive never eard of it..:confused::D

That looks great Jer...is it a Dobro?
Thats one serious looking man cave back there too:thumbsup:
That must be an old old saying...so old in fact even Ive never eard of it..:confused::D
Thank you.
Dobro:
My earliest soundboard had a shoe-polish lid, which was an attempt at a dobro, or resonator cone. I thought it wasn't boosting the A-string sufficiently, so I tried the wider tole-ware tray on the second soundboard as another attempt at a dobro. That didn't work at all, whether because the metal was too thick, or the metal-to-wood fit wasn't tight enough, or the gods were displeased... So I went to plain plywood. By a combination of geometry, arithmetic, superstition, and whimsy, I arrived at these two 1.5" soundholes and two 1" soundholes. I hope that distributing the soundholes will scatter the effects of whatever mistakes I've made. And putting the soundholes along the edges allows me to not worry about whether all the strings are over the hole, in case that matters, and it allows the longitudinal vibes to develop over the whole length of the sound box.
Dobro is short for Dopriskey brothers, who invented and marketed a triple resonator cone that they sold to National Instrument Company. Later they came up with a single resonator cone. Gibson owns the dobro name now, but they aren't the only ones making resonator guitars. I have no idea what either the triple or the single resonator cone actually looks like.
Someone with an Italian name starting with "B" and having three syllables came up with the original poor man's dobro in the 1990s, which was a paint-can lid inlet into the soundboard of a cigar-box guitar.

The man-cave is my basement, obviously, and I like to keep the ceiling open so I can see and reach any problems that might crop up. The joists are also handy for hanging air rifles and bows, as well as ukes, a guitar, and a possible mandolele.
There's a nice big fireplace behind me, as I took this picture. There's a desk and some filing cabinets back around a corner behind the uke. There's way too much crap down there, including about 300 running feet of books, some of which I'm sure could go.

I can't find my book of Welsh proverbs at the moment. Three tries for a Welshman, don't look for a human heart in a Saxon bosom, give a priest an inch and he'll take an ell...

The man-cave is my basement, obviously, and I like to keep the ceiling open so I can see and reach any problems that might crop up. The joists are also handy for hanging air rifles and bows, as well as ukes, a guitar, and a possible mandolele.
There's a nice big fireplace behind me, as I took this picture. There's a desk and some filing cabinets back around a corner behind the uke. There's way too much crap down there, including about 300 running feet of books, some of which I'm sure could go.
Sounds utterly PERFECT.

My final soundboard:
KKiHoaC.jpg

After all, the old saying goes, "Three tries for a Welshman", not "Umpteen bazillion tries for a Welshman".

Very nice work there, Jer. They're cool signature sound holes.:thumbsup::cool:

Thank you.
Dobro:
My earliest soundboard had a shoe-polish lid, which was an attempt at a dobro, or resonator cone. I thought it wasn't boosting the A-string sufficiently, so I tried the wider tole-ware tray on the second soundboard as another attempt at a dobro. That didn't work at all, whether because the metal was too thick, or the metal-to-wood fit wasn't tight enough, or the gods were displeased... So I went to plain plywood. By a combination of geometry, arithmetic, superstition, and whimsy, I arrived at these two 1.5" soundholes and two 1" soundholes. I hope that distributing the soundholes will scatter the effects of whatever mistakes I've made. And putting the soundholes along the edges allows me to not worry about whether all the strings are over the hole, in case that matters, and it allows the longitudinal vibes to develop over the whole length of the sound box.
Dobro is short for Dopriskey brothers, who invented and marketed a triple resonator cone that they sold to National Instrument Company. Later they came up with a single resonator cone. Gibson owns the dobro name now, but they aren't the only ones making resonator guitars. I have no idea what either the triple or the single resonator cone actually looks like.
Someone with an Italian name starting with "B" and having three syllables came up with the original poor man's dobro in the 1990s, which was a paint-can lid inlet into the soundboard of a cigar-box guitar.

I can't find my book of Welsh proverbs at the moment. Three tries for a Welshman, don't look for a human heart in a Saxon bosom, give a priest an inch and he'll take an ell...

Great post, and sounds like a great man-cave.:thumbsup::cool: I LOLed at the proverbs!;):D

Sounds utterly PERFECT.

Very nice work there, Jer. They're cool signature sound holes.:thumbsup::cool:

Great post, and sounds like a great man-cave.:thumbsup::cool: I LOLed at the proverbs!;):D
Thanks, guys.
I'm hoping to consolidate, organize, and toss enough stuff to open up the room by replacing the two crosswise banks of shelves with one along the long wall.
The sound holes came out nice and loud, if nothing else.

I think this sounds better than my favorite store-boughten uke. Bearing in mind that my favorite store-boughten uke is a 25-dollar plastic one from China.
NVDb2Lf.jpg

It looks like I didn't have to worry about trying to learn two instruments at once. I might forget some of one or the other, but I'm not going to confuse them.

Found this little guy in the back 40 lawn this morning. This pic was taken with a 60x zoom, as I wanted to stay as far away as possible. It used to bother me to see them left alone, but it's pretty normal. The mother will go off and forage for the day, and come back in the afternoon for her fawn. When they are this little they don't wander off and they stay fairly still. They also don't have a scent that is detectable by predators yet.
lQZJIGL.jpg

Back