"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I read somewhere that fawns close their eyes when alarmed, so predators won't see their bright eyes. It was an anthropomorphized animal book, maybe Old Granny Fox. Definitely not Billy Whiskers. (He was a goat.)

I read somewhere that fawns close their eyes when alarmed, so predators won't see their bright eyes. It was an anthropomorphized animal book, maybe Old Granny Fox. Definitely not Billy Whiskers. (He was a goat.)

Funny to me because last spring my wife and I were out on the trail and a fawn stepped out in front of us - not more than 8 feet. I whispered to my wife - don't look it right in the eyes - squint so that it we won't startle it with eye contact. We had our eyes mostly closed but it never stopped watching us with full eyes open. :) All three of us were curious - none afraid. After 2 or 3 minutes it just wandered back into the woods away from the trail. It was a pretty nice close encounter.

KNIFE CONTENT - at the time, I had my puukko on my hip and a Shiro clipped to my pocket. :thumbsup:

Ray

Found this little guy in the back 40 lawn this morning. This pic was taken with a 60x zoom, as I wanted to stay as far away as possible. It used to bother me to see them left alone, but it's pretty normal. The mother will go off and forage for the day, and come back in the afternoon for her fawn. When they are this little they don't wander off and they stay fairly still. They also don't have a scent that is detectable by predators yet.
lQZJIGL.jpg
It's funny you mention this Gary because my wife and I were just watching a show about the Rocky Mountains on PBS and they showed an elk calf that had just been born and it is too weak to support it's own weight for a day or so after being born. So the mother licks the calf clean virtually leaving it "scentless" and left it alone for the entire night. In the morning a grizzly bear showed up which has a sense of smell 2,000 times better than a human and it walked right by the elk calf that was tucked amidst some sagebrush. Mother Nature's symphony :)

STATE OF ORIGIN
NSW V QUEENSLAND.
GO THE BLUES!
its state against state.
mate against mate...
Sorry guys its rugby league thing...best of three tests....the cockroach v the cane toad.
Tonight.
If you only watch one game of rugby league this year...as do I....this is the one....you will be amazed at the skill,the brutality and the really lame entertainment.

How about people that say "Well to be honest with you" or "to tell you the truth"? So are you generally dishonest / lying? :rolleyes: And the infamous "trust me"... if you're asking me to trust you that typically means I do not :D

Side note... I did use the bread box example today and got a blank stare from my co-worker. I call that success :thumbsup:

Well, it's Memorial Day in these United States. I am grateful to all the soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen that have given their lives in service to our country. May they rest in peace, and may we ever honor them.
PbSzEwS.jpg

MWqzNYO.jpg

CB3XCm2.jpg

I think we are fortunate to have the "Blue Ghost" permanently moored here as a museum. She saw much action in WWII. It's my favorite museum, and I've been to the Metropolitan Museum in New York and the Art Institute of Chicago.

There's nothing more American than baseball. Caught a game last night at our local AA ballpark (Astros affilliate).
spqr4F2.jpg

KafIBU9.jpg

Visited the Cotton Club, a lounge next to the press box with a great view (my son designed the renovated lounge, by the way--:) ):
ZlWdoxX.jpg

They have plenty of beer, of course.
gjw0qC2.jpg

SQg2OgC.jpg

Our seats were right behind the home dugout:
EtWh8Ug.jpg

Our team won 9-1!
Fireworks after the game for Memorial Day weekend (they also have fireworks every Friday night).
5iTTQ9H.jpg

0wdthD6.jpg

I am flying my American flag today, and going to visit my granddaughter (and her parents!) later today. May catch a little baseball on television in the meantime.
Have a good and safe holiday, everyone.

Great post! (Also, I love that your local Minor League team plays at Whataburger Field; doesn’t get much more Texas than that! ;) :D)

How about people that say "Well to be honest with you" or "to tell you the truth"? So are you generally dishonest / lying? :rolleyes: And the infamous "trust me"... if you're asking me to trust you that typically means I do not :D

Side note... I did use the bread box example today and got a blank stare from my co-worker. I call that success :thumbsup:
Or: "I'm not complaining, but...."

Back