"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Today while I looked at my knife collection I realized that I have enough knives in patterns and sizes that I enjoy to use and carry. I have a handful of knives I won't carry or use. I'm wonder with my now small knife budget, should I sell the knives I don't use or should I hold onto them?

At one point, my collection was just knives that I knew I would carry and use. Now my collection consists of some knives I may never carry or use, or knives I have used in the past but I probably won't anymore. Or should I just limit my knife purchases to a handful of knives that I really want? Or am I just over thinking it? LOL idk.

I try to keep my collection to about 30 knives, so I end up selling the extras. That makes me think about the one's I'm willing to get rid of and the one's I can't part with. This ensures all the knives in my collection have some type of value to me.

I'm contemplating selling off a bunch of knives too Taylor I was thinking about keeping 25 or 30 myself Dwight. One reason is I just have too many and the other is that I've spent so much on my other hobby lately it would be nice to regroup some of the money I've spent.

Today while I looked at my knife collection I realized that I have enough knives in patterns and sizes that I enjoy to use and carry. I have a handful of knives I won't carry or use. I'm wonder with my now small knife budget, should I sell the knives I don't use or should I hold onto them?

At one point, my collection was just knives that I knew I would carry and use. Now my collection consists of some knives I may never carry or use, or knives I have used in the past but I probably won't anymore. Or should I just limit my knife purchases to a handful of knives that I really want? Or am I just over thinking it? LOL idk.
Well, everyone is different, Taylor. I can understand people like Jack, with over a thousand knives--that's pretty cool--; and someone like GT, with 200-300 knives, focusing on canoes, SAKs, Rough Riders, Spanish knives, and lambsfoots. I can also understand someone who wants to carry only one knife for the rest of his life.

I've only come to this "hobby" recently, about a year and a half ago. I've always carried a knife, but never spent much, and didn't think much about it. Sometimes I carried the same knife, such as a small stockman or Vic Classic, for years at a time. But I'd been meaning to get something nicer, and finally did when I received a cheap knife from the NRA as a joining bonus. It was a pretty sorry knife, so I set out to find something nicer and larger than I was accustomed to carry. I started out with a Case trapper. Then almost immediately bought a medium stockman. Then a mini trapper, and then a small lockback. Then I started reading BladeForums. My collection has gone from about 8 knives to 32 in the last year and a half. There are a handful that I carry over and over, but I don't really want a large collection of knives I won't carry. A few of my knives have sentimental value, and I intend to keep them even if I don't carry them. But I think I should slow down a little. I've got a few lambsfoots which I will keep for sure, and a custom made navaja from Spain. I am committed to buy the 2019 forum knife, which I am looking forward to, and I have something special in mind for my birthday, but I don't plan to spend too much more this year. Maybe a Case knife or two, or a deal at a gun show.

So just do what feels right to you, Taylor.

Hope you had a great birthday (but I'm not sorry the Astros beat the A's!). :)

Well, everyone is different, Taylor. I can understand people like Jack, with over a thousand knives--that's pretty cool--; and someone like GT, with 200-300 knives, focusing on canoes, SAKs, Rough Riders, Spanish knives, and lambsfoots. I can also understand someone who wants to carry only one knife for the rest of his life.

I've only come to this "hobby" recently, about a year and a half ago. I've always carried a knife, but never spent much, and didn't think much about it. Sometimes I carried the same knife, such as a small stockman or Vic Classic, for years at a time. But I'd been meaning to get something nicer, and finally did when I received a cheap knife from the NRA as a joining bonus. It was a pretty sorry knife, so I set out to find something nicer and larger than I was accustomed to carry. I started out with a Case trapper. Then almost immediately bought a medium stockman. Then a mini trapper, and then a small lockback. Then I started reading BladeForums. My collection has gone from about 8 knives to 32 in the last year and a half. There are a handful that I carry over and over, but I don't really want a large collection of knives I won't carry. A few of my knives have sentimental value, and I intend to keep them even if I don't carry them. But I think I should slow down a little. I've got a few lambsfoots which I will keep for sure, and a custom made navaja from Spain. I am committed to buy the 2019 forum knife, which I am looking forward to, and I have something special in mind for my birthday, but I don't plan to spend too much more this year. Maybe a Case knife or two, or a deal at a gun show.

So just do what feels right to you, Taylor.

Hope you had a great birthday (but I'm not sorry the Astros beat the A's!). :)
A's are looking decent right now! Hoping for a wild card spot!

I've only come to this "hobby" recently, about a year and a half ago
It seems longer than that, in a good way.
I'm still threatening to take a box of knives to the flea market. It has to be a holiday one, though, because the weekly ones have sadly diminished attendance.
I don't know how many knives I have, but I have a lot of nice but ordinary knives just sitting there, and realistically, I'm not likely to become the sacred blade-giver to a post-apocalyptic tribe of warrior-huntresses.
I hate to be realistic, though.

I'm still threatening to take a box of knives to the flea market. It has to be a holiday one, though, because the weekly ones have sadly diminished attendance.
I don't know how many knives I have, but I have a lot of nice but ordinary knives just sitting there, and realistically, I'm not likely to become the sacred blade-giver to a post-apocalyptic tribe of warrior-huntresses.
I didn't even know this was a possible career! This changes everything!

- GT

I try to keep my collection to about 30 knives, so I end up selling the extras. That makes me think about the one's I'm willing to get rid of and the one's I can't part with. This ensures all the knives in my collection have some type of value to me.
What happens when you get to the point when you have more than 30 that have some type of value to you? I think I remember not long ago when you said the same thing but put the number 20 instead of 30.:D The number that have special meaning to you will keep growing over time. Given enough time that number could get rather large.;)

tmd_87 tmd_87 - do whatever feels right to you and don't get hung up on a certain number.
Follow your heart.;)

What happens when you get to the point when you have more than 30 that have some type of value to you? I think I remember not long ago when you said the same thing but put the number 20 instead of 30.:D The number that have special meaning to you will keep growing over time. Given enough time that number could get rather large.;)
You hit the nail on the head, that's exactly right. With only 20 knives, there were NONE that I could get rid of. So, I had to increase the number to 30... But I'd still feel more comfortable at 20. :D

Yeah I dunno about that as a job....do you get a set of gold arm vambraces and give the blades out in a religios ceremony with a team of "followers" to do your bidding ? are you like the high priest of a cult that worships a giant shop display SAK....do you get to pick the most voluptuous and nubile warrior huntress as your PAPA(post apocalpse personal assistant)?
OR
I see myself as the old blade giver who lives in a damp cave in the woods and cackles insanely around a smoky fire of wet twigs.
Must have own cape made of torn tarp.Unkempt apearance essential.Long straggly hair preferred. Some growling hounds supplied.

Having m' knives all over the place makes me feel at home and the more there are, the more in my element I feel :D

I've never counted them, no interest in recording or cataloguing them-it would simply stress then bore me;) Nor do I feel the need to set a ceiling. I have a large number of books but I don't collect them together in some library manner either. What for???

If people suspect they have too many knives then stop buying them :D It could be a sign of losing interest in knives as well:eek: If reduced finances are the problem-something nearly all of us will experience at times-then it's self-regulating. And if there are decent knives you really do not use or don't actually like, then sell them:thumbsup: You Americans have no excuse;) you live in a country with a big market for knives, not like here in Europe:rolleyes: selling knives here is very special interest, akin to drugs only less harmful and profitable;)

So where do I see myself in five years after the apocalypse?
Well I envisage being the evil el supremo of a post apocalyptic trading post and post office...I would have at my command a gang of unruly scruffbag bikeys..and guys in dangerously chopped vehicles....their primary role would be scouring the burned out wastes for blades to increase my ruthless hording and monopolisation of the market...I would also like to be double crossing the warrior huntresses by trading over priced blades with their queen for a supply of lusty female bodyguards..
The short term profits would be excellent until being overthrown by dissatisfied henchmen and other rebels.

Back