"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017

Absolutely love that movie! When my oldest daughter was about 10, she watched it 3 times in one day. She’s still mad I didn’t take her with me when I went to Africa.

meako and Prester John like this.
  2. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Usually on April 1st you have to check your back because someone may have sticked a paper fish on...Also it is the day you get weird news like "the French police awarded trophy of Europe's most courteous force" or"a sardine plugged up the Old Port of Marseille" and the like...:)
    No such things this year... :mad: :thumbsdown:
    Tarjanyi_Hal-1.jpg

WHT, meako, afishhunter and 10 others like this.
  3. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    This year the joke is: "Protective masks are available in pharmacies..."
    An other good one is: "Tomorrow..."

Dan.

meako, afishhunter, Jolipapa and 2 others like this.
  4. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Last year my wife and daughter taped a silhouette of a gigantic cockroach to the inside of a lampshade. We don't really have an insect problem, and I hadn't seen a roach that big since I was little. Nevertheless, I went and fetched a fly swatter, with the intent of knocking it down and then either stomping on it or killing it with the fly swatter, depending on where it fell. The first blow on the lamp shade did not budge it. I whacked at it violently several more times, thinking it was a tough bugger, and then realized what had happened. Wife and daughter laughing convulsively, of course.

They have assured me they would try nothing this year. But I saw the look they exchanged.

5. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    scrteened porch likes this.
  6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Hey, guys, have I shown you my new bowls?
    [​IMG]
    Not that I'm bored or squirelly at all.
    They are rather nice- pyrex, pristine, $25.44. Another antique mall I hope will reopen someday.
    This sounds familiar. I have shown you my new bowls before, haven't I?
    I'll fix that sig line.
    [​IMG]

tmd_87, seas165, meako and 6 others like this.
  7. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    When I was in Japan, one of the daily papers bit on a story about the discovery of a tribe of white vegetarians in New Guinea. They printed an apology on April 2.
    [​IMG]
    My new sig line may be apropos.

tmd_87, Jack Black, Headwinds and 2 others like this.
  8. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    That's about it, unfortunately! :confused:

Beware... Beware...

:thumbsup: Traditional from southern Hungary.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Exactly that kind of thing! :eek: :D

9. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Hey, Jer, can you show us your new bowls?

10. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    Pffff.... He's just teasing... :D:D:D

11. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Looks like we'll be stuck inside for a bit longer than expected, but at least the bar is well stocked! This is just the REAL stuff, the liqueurs are stored in the cabinet below.

Bar_4-20.jpg

12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    :cool: :thumbsup:

Nice selection Jeff :) :thumbsup:

black mamba likes this.
  13. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Whiskey's all you really need. (I did notice the vodka--that's a decent brand--good value.)
    :cool::thumbsup:

meako and Jack Black like this.
  14. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Vince, I gotta have a Bloody Mary once in a while!

meako and Prester John like this.
  15. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    I drink my vodka on the rocks--occasionally with orange juice. And I love martinis, but with gin.

Will Power likes this.
  16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    It's been a while since I last drank vodka (apart from some bison grass vodka I had a few months back), but I used to drink it neat :eek: I remember bringing some back from a trip to the East of Poland, and staying with some friends in France. A few of us went out for beers, then when we got back I pulled out a litre of over-proof vodka. I can't remember if there were 4 or 5 of us, but we saw it off, in shots, in under 10 minutes :eek: Then I went to bed, because it's not big, and it's not clever! :rolleyes:

17. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    I stocked up on whiskey before this all got started. Grocery stores have plenty of beer and wine on the shelves. I bought two 6-packs of beer at the grocer just today. Both of which are now 5 packs.

My favorite local liquor store is open for "buy online, curbside pickup," and they also deliver to my area. If I didn't already have a pretty good stash, I'd take 'em up on that.

18. JustinR

JustinR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2008
    My mom has that set.

scrteened porch and WHT like this.
  19. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Mamba, is that a bottle of Russkiy Standart I saw peeking out from the back row? I don’t drink much vodka, but when I do, that’s my preference. Straight up and frozen.

20. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    I'm guessing you're looking at Jeff's Russell's bourbon. The vodka I see is from Sweden: Svedka. But that Russian Standard is excellent--one of my favorites. Ketel One, from Holland, is number one with me.