"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

No, never seen it David, I'll look out for some though :thumbsup:

Aye I went looking for a non-DEET repellent two or three years ago but was aware of that so thought I'd give it a try. If I was going to Alaska or the Aussie outback then maybe I'd choose something with a bit more oomphf, but for rural England it's fine. Saying that it's meant handle the Scottish midge so it should be good anywhere really. :thumbsup: I get mine from Go Outdoors.

Aye I went looking for a non-DEET repellent two or three years ago but was aware of that so thought I'd give it a try. If I was going to Alaska or the Aussie outback then maybe I'd choose something with a bit more oomphf, but for rural England it's fine. Saying that it's meant handle the Scottish midge so it should be good anywhere really. :thumbsup: I get mine from Go Outdoors.

Thanks again David :) I usually go to Home Bargains! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

As a rule of thumb in Australia (home of the Funnelweb Spider Atrax robustus) we say a spuder that spins a big web in the garden ...Orb Weavers etc can't hurt you.
I love Orb-weavers, but last year around this time we had almost an infestation of them. I spent a couple of weeks gingerly tip-toeing around their webs, some of which spanned some pretty amazing distances, like between my downspout and my neighbor’s fence - roughly 11 feet.
taGPuZK.jpg

3b32AhD.jpg

I grew up in rural wa, with a massive three hundred odd acre block of bushland behind the house. I used to go running through it every morning and the orb weavers were always out in force, their webs dew laden and shimmering in magical little rainbows in the morning sun. Pretty fantastic stuff.

Knife cuts can be unpleasant but kind of occupational hazard here ;):D That and peculiar looking bald patches on the arms, even elsewhere....;):eek:

Truly horrible cuts can come from glass though....when I was young, decided to clean the windows in my student room. Window stuck by damp, hand slipped off handle arm straight out the window by some good fortune I grabbed the side with left hand-just as my neck was heading to a large shard! Tendon severed completely so right hand useless, huge spouts of blood coming from wrist and ring fingertip almost severed, held on by the glass splinter that had pierced through the finger nail:eek::poop: Still got a deep ragged scar on the wrist and the finger tip is still unpleasant to touch stuff with to this day.

Ever since then, I refuse to clean windows :D;)

Last edited:
Knife cuts can be unpleasant but kind of occupational hazard here ;):D That and peculiar looking bald patches on the arms, even elsewhere....;):eek:

Truly horrible cuts can come from glass though....when I was young, decided to clean the windows in my student room. Window stuck by damp, hand slipped off handle arm straight out the window by some good fortune I grabbed the side with left hand-just as my neck was heading to a large shard! Tendon severed completely so right hand useless, huge spouts of blood coming from wrist and ring fingertip almost severed, held on by the glass splinter that had pierced through the finger nail:eek::poop: Still got a deep ragged scar on the wrist and the finger tip is still unpleasant to touch stuff with to this day.

Ever since then, I refuse to clean windows :D;)

My dad had a scar on his arm from going through a glass door. He used to tell us it was a lion bite.
20200804-104804.jpg

Be vewwy vewwy quiet!
I don't see the wabbit.

Back