"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Late summer evenings can be very noisy here every year - lots of mature trees and millions of cicadas. You notice it when it starts, but then tune it out. You don’t hear it at all unless you deliberately listen for it. I actually find the sound soothing.
Someone from out of town once asked me “Is it always this noisy here?”, and I honestly didn’t know what they were talking about for several seconds until it dawned on me.
Some regions South of France would be disfigured without cicada's song in the sun. They are not responsible of van Gogh cutting his ear! 😂

iu

Some regions South of France would be disfigured without cicada's song in the sun. They are not responsible of van Gogh cutting his ear! 😂

iu

I read a theory not too long ago that van Gogh cut off his ear to conceal his having been wounded in a duel with Gauguin.

Last edited:
I read a theory not too long ago that van Gogh cut off his ear to conceal his having been wounded in a duel with Gaugin.
According to Gauguin, he had been threatened by VVG with a straight razor after a big argument. Later he cut his ear and offered it to a youg girl he admired.
Nevertheless they remained in touch during all their lives.

According to Gauguin, he had been threatened by VVG with a straight razor after a big argument. Later he cut his ear and offered it to a youg girl he admired.
Nevertheless they remained in touch during all their lives.
I thought my "Gaugin" was missing something. Fixed it.

Late summer evenings can be very noisy here every year - lots of mature trees and millions of cicadas. You notice it when it starts, but then tune it out. You don’t hear it at all unless you deliberately listen for it. I actually find the sound soothing.
Someone from out of town once asked me “Is it always this noisy here?”, and I honestly didn’t know what they were talking about for several seconds until it dawned on me.
It’s like living next to the railroad tracks. You get used to it :)

I hear some people eat these little critters and they taste like shrimp when fried!
😰😰😰

It's true. I used to live right by the ATS&F line, and I only noticed the trains if I was on the phone, or trying to listen to something else.
Lived next to a rail road track in college. My friends and I would gather for drinks now and then and they'd be like, "how do you sleep through that?" I was like, "sleep through what?" :D

Lived next to a rail road track in college. My friends and I would gather for drinks now and then and they'd be like, "how do you sleep through that?" I was like, "sleep through what?" :D
Exactly.

It's odd, but I have tinnitus, and when trying to describe to people what it's like, the best example I can come up with is cicadas "singing" in the trees about one street over.
Like the cicadas, I have gotten to the point of not really noticing it, unless I think about it...... but it's always there.

It's odd, but I have tinnitus, and when trying to describe to people what it's like, the best example I can come up with is cicadas "singing" in the trees about one street over.
Like the cicadas, I have gotten to the point of not really noticing it, unless I think about it...... but it's always there.
That is brilliant. I have severe tinnitus and like to crack my window in the car when driving to drown it out. Drives my wife crazy because she doesn't understand. When the cicadas are singing their song this summer, I am going to use this analogy to show her what I live every day.

I didn’t want to highjack the “Modern Lambsfoot” thread with this, but if you google “Pena Knives Raptor Front Flipper Knife” it will bring up images of a modern knife which has ALMOST a lamb foot blade, except that the taper begins about halfway up the spine, not right at the tang. It seems clearly a tribute to the lambsfoot, anyway.

Back