"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Not sure where to post this but wanted to share my weekend project.
I had some Cypress flooring left over from a deck I built and decided to turn it into a couple display cases. I made them stackable, where they kind of lock together, to keep them together better. Also, have the option of making more to add to them. I'm also enjoying being able to cf & ce the knives easier. I like how they turned out! Let me know what you think!
CJvlcj5.jpg

OvoI5hr.jpg

xRxaMrY.jpg
Those are quite nice Mark. Second career?

Nice display cases, Mark!
"Stackable" is a great space-saving feature!!

Does that Horn-handled fork live at my house now??

I think that might be another one Charlie. I see a fork from that period very rarely, but they are almost never accompanied by a knife. You have the only pair I've yet come across :thumbsup:

Jack-Some awesome linguistic research on the traditional cutlery terminology this day, although at times like watching (I can't really use the word following) a cricket match. Well played.

With those fine hounds being shown here, and that photo of the Case grinding stations, I was reminded of this great old image of French working cutlers, each with their dog curled up on their legs to keep them warm.

(Sorry about the picture quality - the lass in the Famous Sheffield Shop showed me this while we were chatting, so it's an indoor photo of an open book page.)

IMG_3063.JPG

It is an amazing wood/ tree! That jon boat should last forever!

The fellow that made them lived about twenty miles from where I live now, they were all made to order. I ordered two, one a regular jon boat about 12' long, the other was my creek boat that was tapered on both ends kind of like a pirogue. I used it for blackwater creeks in south Georgia. The creek boat lasted about forty years. I stored it in a shed and it dry rotted at the transom. The other I sold to a buddy in southwest Georgia, it may be still kicking for all I know. I remember the guy telling me that as long as they were in water, they would last for years.

He built some really nice boats, tongue and groove, all brass screws, not a nail in them. He charged by the foot.

Interesting that cypress is better wet. I used to use cypress mulch until I read how the cypress swamps are being mowed down for the stuff. Lasted a long time.

Mark, I wish I had those kinds of skills. Beautiful and ingenious re-purposing that wood.

Just looking for something on my PC, and came across this pic of Joseph Rodgers Sheaf Island Works as I remember it from being a kid. The pic looks to have been taken about 1970, maybe a little later, when it was in the process of being demolished. I've pointed a few folks here in the direction of that building when they've visited Sheffield, but it's hard to imagine what it looked like in the past. The foreground is part of Sheffield bus station, and when I was a boy the 'National Travel' office (then 'Sheffield United Tours') was where we would often depart for family holidays, and me and my pals would set off on some of our fishing trips :)

Here's another pic, with the works intact. This is from the early 70's, so the first picture is obviously taken later. The taller of the hideous 'flats' on the skyline were demolished years ago, but the others remain as they are listed as a unique example of 1960's European Brutalist architecture! :rolleyes:

s22680.jpg

Back