"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Easily fixed. Every knife knut should hear it at least once.

This story, now found on Wiki, used to be on the Ka-Bar web site.
Thanks for the re-telling, I had meant to get back and tell it but got a bit busy at work and time got away.

Hey guys has anyone heard from Robin (Pipeman) recently?
He was a regular contributor to the traditional forum for a few years and I have not seen a post from him in a while.
I hope all is well with him.

Mark my friend I too always wonder. I have Robins phone numbers - Charlie and I spoke often about this concern of not seeing Robin around.
Robin was in the midst of making a few knives for me - of one day I hope with all my heart he continues- only if he wishes of course.
Charlie did actually get hold of Robin a wee while ago - and he was fine - there were some health issues of which I think are under control.

Hey guys has anyone heard from Robin (Pipeman) recently?
He was a regular contributor to the traditional forum for a few years and I have not seen a post from him in a while.
I hope all is well with him.

Mark my friend I too always wonder. I have Robins phone numbers - Charlie and I spoke often about this concern of not seeing Robin around.
Robin was in the midst of making a few knives for me - of one day I hope with all my heart he continues- only if he wishes of course.
Charlie did actually get hold of Robin a wee while ago - and he was fine - there were some health issues of which I think are under control

I just looked at his profile page and his last post was April 10, 2016. I sure hope he's ok and just taking a sabbatical.

Pipeman (Robin) has some very decent knives in his collection too, I warmly wish him well and hope to see him here again soon.:thumbsup:

Thanks, Will

I was debating the best thread for this, but I figure it's reasonable to share here.

The Opinel No. 10 barely broke a sweat, but I had fun using it to slice plaintains for a huevos rancheros-inspired breakfast this morning.

v1crnlLh.jpg

0aQjsDjh.jpg

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I was debating the best thread for this, but I figure it's reasonable to share here.

The Opinel No. 10 barely broke a sweat, but I had fun using it to slice plaintains for a huevos rancheros-inspired breakfast this morning.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

well, I was -- until I got all jealous looking at that plate of food.
fried plaintains are delicious!

Looking good there Greg.:thumbsup: One of favorite meals is an authentic Cuban sandwich and fried plantains. In 1992 hurricane Andrew hit South Florida and I went with a line crew to work around the Homestead area. We were there for 5 weeks and that was when I found some of the very best Cubanos and fried plantains could be had at convenience stores with a small deli in them.

Any of y'all got any surefire tips/products for keeping skeeters away? I'd love to be able to sit on my back patio or stand out in the driveway chattin' with a neighbor, but the daggum mosquitos put the kibosh on things before the sun hits the horizon. I have a ThermaCell Latern that runs on butane, but I am not sold on its effectiveness against these South Louisiana Skeeters. I'd prefer something child/pet friendly and not something that is spray-on.

I've seen some battery-powered and propane-powered contraptions that lure bugs in on the interweb. Anyone with experience? Thanks, folks.

Wish I could offer some advice, Wurrwulf Wurrwulf , but I've yet to find anything other than a spray-on repellent with a good amount of DEET that will keep 'em away.

You wouldn't expect mosquitos out here in the desert, but this time of year, after a heavy rain when there's plenty of standing water, they definitely show up. Just be careful with those little suckers around. Two summers ago I had a series of very strange symptoms that got worse and worse over the period of a week or so. I eventually ended up in the ER, where I got to hang out for several hours and enjoy two spinal taps. o_O Eventually found out that I had West Nile Virus. I wouldn't recommend it. :thumbsdown:

I did, however, make the news. :D

uO4JCBg.jpg

Barrett now you're a celebrity, but I suspect that mosquito stole the show! :D:D
Hope you're better now and the mosquito, flattened! :)

Wow, Barrett! I'm glad you're okay. It's horrifying to think about what you went through; all because of a little winged bug. We've had so much rain lately that I'm not sure anything short of a beekeeper suit will keep me from being bitten.

If you're in one spot a strong fan works because they're weak flyers. Please be careful. According to statistics mosquitos kill more people worldwide than any other animal/insect.

Barrett, you're famous! Seriously, that's terrible and glad you're ok now.
Shawn,
I use a portable repeller made by Thermacell. I assume it is comparable to the lantern. I'm surprised that you don't like the Thermacell. I have found these to work incredibly well for mosquitoes, and almost all other bugs (flys, nats, chiggers, no see-ums) as well as being kid/pet friendly. They do have a 15' radius of protection, so you do need to keep it close to you. I strap it to my wrist at times, or have it laying within arms reach from me. I have used them in the field hunting and fishing and been really impressed. One night in the boat, you could literally see the bubble of protection around you. The lights showed bugs everywhere except for a 'bubble' right around us, where almost no bugs were. The only times I have had trouble with them not working well is when its too windy, and blows away too quickly.
https://www.thermacell.com/how-it-works

Back